Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 12:10:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

SA2's Gaming Blog Topic

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SA2's Gaming Blog Topic  (Read 4242 times)
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #225 on: 11 October, 2014, 01:25:37 pm »

I have wanted someone to do this for so long. Thank you.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #226 on: 17 October, 2014, 01:56:13 pm »

It wasn't stupid. It was beautiful.
Report Spam   Logged
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: 18
Power Level: 3,149,743.69
Username: SA2
Mood: Amazing

« Reply #227 on: 31 October, 2014, 02:57:53 pm »

Should actually finish going over Demon's Souls after so long. Spent about two weeks playing another game which I'll talk about soon enough.

- 1-3 felt incredibly annoying & unnecessarily long the further I got into it. Died several times to ridiculous amounts of damage & had to spend 5 minutes every time getting back to that point. Opening the gate for the shortcut took way too long. Also wasn’t sure how on earth you fight the 3 charge spamming knights without warding or attempting to lure one away with a ranged attack since they’ll all keep spamming that move & quickly kill me otherwise.

- Penetrator is alright, but only because due to warding & black turpentine I had nothing to fear from the dude & therefore killed him really fast, so I have no idea if he would have been a real challenge or not.

- 1-4 went rather smoothly, used the bow to snipe quite a number of enemies from afar, including the blue dragon. Actually liked fighting False King Allant (felt a little like Artorias just because of his speed), he was able to handle two-handed uchi swings powered by black turpentine. Nearly killed me twice too, once with some cheap AoE which apparently covers almost the whole room.

- Killed the corrupted king right at the end, found out he could actually do some damage if you let him just swing away at you. Chose not to kill the maiden in black & simply left.

So guess it’s done. It’s pretty clear that I didn’t like it as much as the original Dark Souls, there was usually one or two really annoying things just around the corner in many of the areas, and many of the bosses feel frustrating in general either because of the arena they make you fight in or the boss just having one or two really cheesy moves. Then again, the other two games have their fair share of problems & annoying traits so whatever.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #228 on: 31 October, 2014, 05:12:42 pm »

I feel pretty similar about it. I've never really felt the urge to go back and play it again after beating it. Still a good game, but just not one that stuck with me as much as Dark.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #229 on: 02 November, 2014, 03:04:41 am »

So I decided to start playing the first game a while ago, first time too, I most likely won’t make updates on it, just briefly mentioning it. When I did start sadly I wasn’t enjoying it very much…for the first 7 hours. Reason being that the early game was hard as fuck, holy shit. This baffled me, whenever I heard people rave about the game, no-one would ever mention that the early game could be around as harsh as Dark Souls if you went into that expecting a typical hack & slash game. You start out with only around 1000 HP for your characters & a lot of stuff hits you for around 200-300 HP, you don’t have much to quickly heal you because Raine doesn’t have good support spells yet, and gels cost too much because the enemies give you pennies for the first ¼ of the game. I spent far more time sleeping at the inn than buying a gel that would let me take 2 more hits at most. I was straight up running from certain enemy encounters & bosses felt so frustrating. Kinda takes the fun out of the game when the boss is killing your team almost as fast as you can revive them so you’re spending more time in menus trying to organize things & barely holding on than actually fighting the boss. All this just confused me, how it just felt so hard to actually progress. I had to wonder what the hell I was doing wrong because I’d never had so much trouble adjusting to a Tales game’s default difficulty. Found out this version was a port of the PS2 copy which received some tweaks to make the game harder by basically buffing enemies. Wonderful, it wasn’t like I considered Tales bosses to be a little overpowered already.

I mean, it’s hard enough having to put up with the plain stupid ally A.I. (though bad ally A.I. is a Tales series tradition at this point), especially when they do shit I told them not to. Genis had a big tendency to be a fucking moron & run right up to melee the boss even though he still has enough MP for spells & I specifically told him up & stay in the back. Raine has stupidly tried to attack or heal near the boss too. Turning up the difficulty on Tales games usually just involves deciding how much work you wanna do, since after a certain point your team will be dying like flies & you’ll regularly be soloing. The only character in a Tales game I fully recall actually having really good A.I. is Sophie in Graces. Regularly backed me up or drew aggro if I needed it, tended not to bunch up right next to me on a boss so it doesn’t hit us both, actually knew how to dodge etc. I normally didn’t have to worry about her fighting a different enemy on the field & getting knocked out within 10 seconds. Seeing as she was a brawler, obviously I’d notice her playstyle more (has nothing to do with her looking like a little girl), but still, I could rely on her on anything below Evil difficulty. There was also one boss where I didn’t bother to revive anyone but Sophie & I held out with her as backup for several minutes for a boss I was underleveled against.

Symphonia is pretty vague on some other things too as far as I can remember, like how using certain EX gems will add bonus effects to a character, and that using certain moves during a unison attack will trigger an extra move once its over. Feels even more in the vain of Dark Souls where bothering to look this shit up greatly helps to get accustomed to the game. Though honestly the biggest factor with the difficulty is as I said earlier, early on they try to give you as little money as possible while some enemies just do ridiculous damage which is hard to cover since gels & life bottles cost too much to regularly store up on them. Wasn’t till I grinded for like an hour to store up money, gear up everyone &  looking up those tips mentioned above while roaming around this water temple that things finally went smoothly & I wasn’t dreading every boss fight. Especially since the combat is as basic as can be. You get a few hits in, then block & let the enemy attack. Don’t you dare attack during their turn otherwise you eat a combo, it’s pretty much turn-based. Apparently it's rude to interrupt. If your back is exposed to the enemy, you can’t quickly turn to face them either, I just eat a critical. I’m too used to later Tales games that focused far more on being like DMC where you keep that combo going as long as possible, and you got rewarded for dodging their swings. Trying to backstep an attack is likely to get me hit anyway, I’m better off just blocking. Once Zelos came along & and I started whoring him out like a pimp, having a full stock of restoration items was no issue & I can save all my money for stocking up completely on gear.

So I’m enjoying the game a lot, but it took a long while to get there due to how unforgiving the early game came be. It somehow gets easier as you progress through the game. 
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #230 on: 02 November, 2014, 09:43:11 am »

The Tales series seems so mystifying to me.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #231 on: 02 November, 2014, 10:45:19 am »

Why's that?
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #232 on: 02 November, 2014, 11:01:00 am »

I don't know. Maybe because there's so many of them and they're all so different looking (from a casual glance.) Its like the one major RPG series I've never played and know nothing about really.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #233 on: 02 November, 2014, 11:23:07 am »

You don't need to know very much about the series to get into them. I've only played like 4 of them, the majority have a new cast of characters as only a few of them get actual sequels, like Symphonia. But everyone hates the second game, I think it was actually the first one I played.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #234 on: 21 November, 2014, 06:19:17 am »

So almost everyone has taken a dump on this game at some point, may as well take 15 minutes to occupy that bathroom while I can, it‘s gonna be pretty long. I’ve spent nearly a month playing it so I feel I can form an opinion on all it has to offer atm. Game was hyped like crazy, barely paid attention to the ads myself. My brother bought a PS4 and a couple of games, this being one of them. Didn’t actually start playing it until one of my real life friends started, he’s already moved on though & I could agree with the many issues he had. Before I get carried away I just wanna say I actually like the game…the gameplay that is. You got three character classes to choose from, and they both have 2 subclasses to switch between (but the second isn’t unlocked until level 15). You can carry one primary, secondary & heavy weapon, and can swap around skills & armor to suit different play styles. Unfortunately there isn’t very much variety outside of messing around with the stuff the 3 classes get. The story is almost non-existent to the point where I didn’t pay attention to cut scenes, the only way the game feels it can make enemies harder is to give all the “tough” ones (yellow HP) noobtubes so the splash damage is the thing killing you.

The game gets far worse once the “story” is done & you’re past level 20, now the never-ending grind can begin. There’s 5 types of equipment. Whites, greens, blues, purples & yellows. The last two are legendaries & exotics. While greens & blues were upgraded with stuff like weapon parts & armor scraps which were easy to gather after a while, the last 2 go overboard by having you collect like 70-80 of these random materials around  from one of the planets and ascendant shards or energy depending if its armor or a weapon. Exotic armor requires 16 to fully level while legendaries require 18 (which is weird since exotic armor is overall better, but you can only equip 1 exotic). You can occasionally get shards or energy from doing random daily events on any of the four planets & 3-starring it, but again, these are random. There’s a website to say when they should show up but I rarely do these anymore since there are times I’ve had to wait up to 45 minutes just for one to finally show. Even then it’s a waste of time if one like ‘Eliminate the enemy’ shows up since they’ll likely spawn a beefed up enemy with a shield that will regen within 5 seconds if not constantly shot, and you lose if he reaches a certain area. It’s possible to kill the spawns that don’t have a shield, but even then, twice the game randomly za warudo’d the enemy halfway across the map while I was throwing grenades so by the time I reached him it was too late. If the enemy has a shield and there’s no other player close by, I just keep on going.

Other ways to get shards, legendaries, exotics & other endgame stuff is doing the daily heroic missions, weekly heroics, the nightfall strikes & of course, the raid. For a while I couldn’t do any of these, at least not at a level where it mattered since they start at level 20. For dailies you get crap at 20, you gotta do the level 24 one to get just one ascendant, then the level 28 if you want two. Dailies are just story missions with somewhat tougher enemies thrown in & a random modifier to handicap you, like no ammo drops for your current weapon, extra enemy melee damage, unflinching enemies etc. The weeklies have difficulties at 22, 26 then 28 & you get 3-9 strange coins depending on which you do. Those coins are used to buy exotics from this trader called Xur who only shows up on weekends with a random selection, sells armor for 13 coins, weapons anywhere up to 27. Weeklies are just strike missions but harder just like dailies. Nightfall is a weekly with several handicaps thrown at you & expects you to be level 28, and since the level requirement is one of the highest, you have a better chance to get endgame gear there. For a while I hated having to do this stuff since I was stuck at level 27 for a while against level 28 guys. Y’know how in Borderlands if you were a level or 2 below the enemy you had a big damage & defence loss while being above them meant you could mow them down casually? Not here, that shit still applies to enemies but not to you. They’re just beefed up to be on the same playing field, while you can expect to get one-shotted as a level 26 against a level 28 boss. Melee deals ridiculous damage against you at that point regardless, most often I’ll die from a random swing and it’s total BS.

The bosses tend to be bullet sponges normally, especially Valus Ta’aurc (the biggest bullet sponge I‘ve seen in years), the first weekly I tried to do. Normally they match you up with random players when you choose to do a strike, but there’s no such system for weeklies. You either find a group or do it solo, and though 1 level before the intended, I was able to get through the massive horde of enemies all the way to the boss…twice. Yet I couldn’t kill him. Dude was roided as hell, had gallons of HP, could kill me in 3-4 shots from his minigun & regularly spammed barrages of missiles that would probably kill me with a direct hit. Worst of all he kept spawning mooks every 30-40 seconds, hell, every strike boss does this, which makes it frustrating when they’re around your level so it sometimes takes 10-20 minutes of hiding in certain spots & poking your head out briefly to get a few shots then running if the boss gets near. While clearing out about 14 spawns in the middle of all this. There was a cheese spot for Valus but it only works for nearly half the fight, then you gotta run out & draw him over to his starting position with enough damage. After wasting like 15 minutes pumping like 50 clips into the dude, he randomly killed me as I tried to get back to the spot. After seeing his HP fill back up I just quietly turned the game off. They recently made changes to scale less for three players, or at least it seems easier. Either I got better & had good teammates or it really does scale less now.

The raid, Vault of Glass, is…actually pretty good. There’s a lot of teamwork involved. It does have it’s flaws though, like activating the portals to get in, and the whole confluxes part taking much longer than it needed to, and there was no need for the dumb jumping puzzle, but whatever. The whole team is also likely to die if someone fucks up at some spots. The boss fight with Atheon is also rather glitchy. Which is due to players cheesing Atheon a long while ago by pushing him off the edge for easy kills in order to get raid gear, since actually reaching max level requires you to have it, but it’s entirely luck based to get it and you can only get rewards once a week. So when they patched it, along came glitches like Atheon sometimes only teleporting one person to a different place, or only two, which can get the whole team killed if they die there without someone to cover them. They made a massive update recently with a whole bunch of changes & upcoming strikes with a second raid, and while the glitches are well-known by now, Bungie still never bothered to fix them, clearly they don’t give a shit.

Now to my main beef with the game that I’ve been bypassing repeatedly: the levelling system. After level 20 you reach a cap, and instead get motes of light after every 50-100k xp gained. To go above that you need armor with light on it. Early blues will have anywhere from 2-13 on them, they increase as you upgrade them. You need 21 to reach level 21, then 11 more for every level. 32,43,54,65, etc. Legendaries can’t go above 22 without using your ascendant shards or energy so the highest you can get at 88 light is level 27. To get just one character to 28 without an exotic it’s around 36 shards. Remember what I mentioned earlier? 2 ascendants from the daily? Level 28 mission. 9 strange coins? Level 28 weekly. Nightfall in general? Level 28. Everything feels one level higher than it should be because of this asinine idea to have level be based entirely off gear, which I feel is just bad game design. Sure, you can do these at level 27, but I never had much fun with the damage I was taking & dishing out by being lower. The raid actually expects you to be at least level 26 and the enemies to start off are roughly around that, the enemies in Atheon’s room are level 28 though, so yeah…hard mode raid supposedly goes up to level 30 too, and requires maxed out raid gear to reach, but the helmet only drops randomly on hard mode, so you can only reach 30 with an exotic helm if you don’t have it. Almost all the endgame stuff is decided upon RNG, this game loves that system more than Disgaea 4 did.

Oh, forgot to mention, you can buy legendaries from vendors in the hub and will probably be where most of your early ones come from. Before you can buy them you gotta get your reputation up with that faction. That’s done by doing bounties, just random stuff in story missions or planets that give xp & rep. There’s 12 everyday, 6 for PvE, 6 for PvP. Oh, and with everything mentioned previously, creating a 2nd and 3rd character will help you get more upgrade materials & give you more chances for rarer weapons & armor, but that means it’ll be even more of a grind. You start at rank 0 for all factions, rank 1 takes 1,500xp, rank 2 is 3,500xp, rank 3 is 6,000xp. Bounties will only give between 50-100 for each one, and patrol missions will give 10 with the easiest one being to kill some dude giving 25. Rep isn’t shared between characters, there are around 5 factions to level and they each have armor & weapons that differ. At rank 1 you get jack (you can buy emblems but who cares about that?), at rank 2 you can buy armor, and at three you can buy weapons. The majority of these vendors cost crucible marks too, from the PvP. You get 3 marks for winning a match, 2 for losing. But your cap for the week is 100 marks, yet the weapons all cost 150. Oh, you can’t hold more than 200 marks either. Vangaurd marks are gotten doing stuff like daily events, heroics, strike playlists, weeklies & nightfall, but they move at a much faster rate even though vanguard has only one weapon vendor.

Crucible is okay. Yeah. A lot of random nonsense happens. What works for the enemy rarely works for me, lag makes it so their rules aren’t my rules, just gotta accept it. I don’t care anyway, I’m average at best & only there for the marks to get certain stuff. What truly pisses me off are the ones running around using nothing but a shotgun or fusion rifle, basically OHKO weapons, the whole match. And of course shotgun users will OHKO me from like 10-15 feet away yet I have to be within like 3 feet of them to do the same. Fusion rifles are basically mid-range shotguns that have a charge rate. But since you can tell when someone’s nearby due to the radar, it doesn’t matter. Many times I’ve seen someone come round the corner & instantly vaporize me before I could even raise my gun, hell, once I got blasted before the guy was actually on my screen. Don’t even wanna start on the random supers & how screwed you are against most of them. A few times in a FFA I got fed up with that crap & just decided to go Leeroy Jenkins on everyone. Somehow I regularly got within the top 3 when I decided to stop caring, rush right at players & bash their skulls in till they die. Apparently most players don’t know what to do when I dodge their initial shot & get right in their face. I once actually won a match doing nothing but this, didn’t even have to use my AR AK, gotta say it was a good day.

Oh, and before I finish, the loading times, can’t believe I forgot about those. Good lord, it’s Sonic 06 tier, that’s not even a joke. 50 secs-1 min, that’s how long I’ve seen it take to load maps, I rarely take note of the seconds unless it’s just that bad. Of course, for every complaint I list they’ll be people who proudly defend such dumb decisions. Sometimes the words they use will make me wonder whether or not they’re playing the same game. On the other hand people will whine & complain about anything that’s not wrapped in a neat little bow for them. Now onto my full list of whining & complaints in the form of questions:

Why do ¾’s of the factions use nothing but crucible marks? Why can you only get 100 a week and why can you only hold 200 at most? Why must every “tough” enemy carry nothing but noobtubes? Why are “tough” enemies the only ones who drop glimmer (the currency)? Using RNG items dropped by enemies lets all enemies drop bits of glimmer when used for a short while, but only between 1-15 for each kill, why don’t they all naturally drop that much? Why can you only hold 25,000 glimmer? Why must I run in circles collecting 70+ planet materials to finish upgrading my legendary gear? Killing enough enemies on a planet will give you a bonus of sometimes getting 2 material drops, but only sometimes, why not permanently? Why aren’t the cut scenes skippable after you’ve seen them once? Why does the game randomly take away half my special ammo & all my heavy ammo when I log out? Hell, why do I lose half my current ammo when I switch to another weapon, even if it’s another weapon of the same type. Why do I need at least 36 ascendant shards to reach level 28 if you don’t have any exotic armor, even though you need the shards the most before you reach 28? Why do the accessories for all three classes cost 25 motes of light each for any piece?

So I think that’s it, pretty burnt out over this game, it seems to want to eat away as much of your time as it can doing the same shit, day in, day out, week after week and hoping RNGesus has given you his blessing. If you like FPS and thought Disgaea 4 was way too lenient on the RNG then this one’s for you.
« Last Edit: 21 November, 2014, 06:22:24 am by Satsuki Kiryuin » Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #235 on: 28 March, 2015, 01:06:16 pm »

…at least for a little while.

You thought it was Bloodborne, but it was me, Xenoverse!

So just like with the last one, been playing another DBZ game for about a month. There’s a lot of good in it, and a lot of bad that become more & more noticeable over time, oh boy do they. In a nutshell, this one’s basically a fan fiction story since you make an OC (do not steal) and run through a bunch of the well known DBZ arcs, fixing things in time that someone else is trying to mess with so that the good guys don‘t lose. You can choose from 5 races: Majins, Saiyans, Earthlings, Namekians & Frieza clansmen. I started with a female majin (Buu waifu is best waifu). They all seem to have different melee combos, both male & female. Honestly the story mode is one of the good things in the game just because you’re not running through all the arcs like normal with very minor differences. Since you’ll always be playing with your OC in story mode, you don’t get a signature moveset and will have to collect a wide range of supers, ultimates & evasive moves so you can be prepared for any kind of battle. Gaining a ton of skills from the characters, mixing & matching a group of them so you can make different builds or have them simply for cosplay is one of the more fun things about the game too. 

There’s also a ton of z-souls which have different benefits like upping all stats after using any Ginyu Force poses, auto recovering ki & regenerating health when low, not getting staggered until below 80% health etc. to also go in conjunction with builds. Though a few were a little overpowered and of course got many complaints due to PvP with people abusing some tactics so naturally several of the really good z-souls with no negative drawbacks got nerfed into the ground. Then one got accidentally massively buffed & eventually had to get fixed because you could rarely lose with it on. There’s also a whole bunch of outfits your OC can wear, from getting the clothing through parallel quests & buying it at the clothing store. You can bring about 4 capsules into battle with you for purposes like recovering health, ki & stamina, as well as senzus for reviving yourself, though you can’t bring 4 of the same exact capsule into one fight.

Parallel quests are just optional fights you can do at any point (sometimes with specials objectives besides travelling through the areas & beating up a group of characters) and you can choose two AI partners to accompany you (Except for PQs given to you by NPCs, two of which are infamous partially because of this).You also level up by doing all these fights in story mode & parallel quests, with the max being level 80 for some reason though the grind can be a little much at lower levels before you get the easy & fast grinding PQs at the end of the story. You’ll get most of the attack skills from parallel quests, and they’ll tell you which quests will give you certain skills as rewards. The other skills can only be gotten from mentors as you progress through the game. A few have level requirements to accept you as their pupil but once they do you just do more quests & your progress bar fills faster depending on the ranks you get. They all have about 4 training sessions, the last being the one where you fight them for real. Afterwards they’ll randomly ask you to spar with them & you get an extra z-soul for winning those fights. There’s about 10 mentors (not counting DLC), those being: Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Krillin, Gohan & Videl, Hercule, Ginyu, Frieza, Perfect Cell & Beerus. Cell easily has the best dialogue of the mentors.

The fighting system isn’t very complex, though the game doesn’t tell you that much about it. Just gives you the basics & expects you to figure out the rest. Took me a long while to do more than the basic few combo strings they had in the menu, or that using stamina can keep the combo going far longer. Stamina is just used for evading & blocking in general outside of that. I also liked a lot of the tracks in the OST as well. Frieza (though the one I‘m thinking of is the only one of the three that didn‘t play during his fight with Goku in the prologue unlike the other two), Perfect Cell & Kid Buu’s (easily one of my favorites) themes in general. Now that I’ve gotten most of the good stuff out of the way, I can bring in the complaints, starting with the biggest one.

Most of it is RNG. All those skills & clothing from the parallel quests, it’s all RNG based whether or not you get them, but that’s not the worst part. There’s 55 quests & over half of them require you to achieve the special requirement in the mission to spawn a special event, then you gotta beat that extra enemy to get whatever skills they had. 1. That special enemy actually spawning is random. Even if you cleared the mission within 5 minutes like it said, the enemy will just decide not to turn up just because. 2. If the enemy does show, their drops are still entirely random. So basically: http://ifunny.co/fun/EtMGjQ0j2. Also, say you & a friend need the same skill & grind out that mission. I could get that skill in a few tries while he may not get shit. While some people will somehow defend that shit because it extends playtime, it’s not doing it for a good reason. In my goal to get all skills I had to put up with RNG for 50+ missions & didn’t play for several days because of how tedious it was. You can bet your ass if they were forced to do a 5 minute mission with the special event showing up only 6 times out of your 25+ attempts & just wouldn’t drop the one skill or piece of clothing you want, they would do a complete 180 and call BS. I’d rather not look back on past games & groan because my first thought is of a really tedious grind due to bad game design. Bad design is bad & you should feel bad for thinking it’s good.

Finding mentors is also RNG. What, did you think they would stay in a certain spot in the hub when you’re ready to train with them? Pfft, that’s stupid, it’s obviously better to have them spawn somewhere in the big hub entirely at random. Also, let’s make you run around the 3 big hub areas at slow speed instead of flying through so it takes longer to search. Hey, I finally found Goku, but I’m on my alt so I can’t train with him since I gotta be level 70. Surely I can quickly swap to my main to swap mentors quick, right? Nope, tough shit. Hope you can find him again when using a character who’s above 70. The clothing all positively or negatively affects certain stats, which can be a pain if a certain outfit looks good but weakens melee since you want it on your melee OC. Not that big a deal if you’re gud but you can’t preview any clothing at the shop. You don’t know what it looks like till you get it, and some outfits can get expensive. Oh, the online connections suck dick too. Most of the time you couldn’t connect to the online hub, and if you could don’t be surprised if you get booted back to offline within 30 min.

Getting the dragon balls? That’s RNG. You gotta find other human time patrollers who are being controlled by AI within the PQs and fight them. Thing is, having them show up is random, and then having them drop a dragon ball when you beat them is also random. If you want the characters & skills that can only be gotten with wishes, you gotta collect them all 6 times. Yeah. Now the AI, good lord. Just like with Battle of Z, your companions are laughably bad while the enemy AI is rather competent (and stupidly aggressive). Most of the time your teammates will just fly in circles & shoot ki blasts that knock enemies out of your combos because that needed to be in the game. Only occasionally will they get in some combos themselves, but don’t think they’ll actually transform, and don’t you dare wonder why they aren’t using any ultimates. The parallel quests where they throw a braindead AI character on your team & expect you to protect them through a gauntlet of foes are easily the worst (escort missions in general tend to be awful), there isn’t that much you can do when the enemy spams ultimates & the AI keeps running into them. Thing is, there are capsules you can buy that heal your team instead of just you. Do these capsules work on AI you gotta protect which the game has placed on your team? Of course not, don’t be silly. So those capsules do nothing but collect dust because the AI are mostly meat shields in general.

PQ 37 wants you to help Super Buu survive against Piccolo, Gotenks, Goku, Gohan and then Vegito. Doing it with AI, I got to Goku & Gohan and while I was busy keeping Gohan pinned down with beam spam, Goku killed Super Buu easily in two combos. After that I played all escort missions online because at least one real player could have easily stopped that. Even just 2-manning missions, they become far easier when you have at least one competent player helping. Did one late game mission using my female majin with another, triggered the special event & fought Frieza, Cell & Kid Buu. Took a little while but it was no sweat taking them down with just us two. Just like Battle of Z, it’s far easier when you actually have backup instead of being a babysitter. So when they expect you to play the same missions constantly and protecting the retarded AI constantly to get skills the only real answer is to spam. Super saiyan (a transformation that counts as an ultimate) lets you have unlimited supers & ultimates while it’s active, basically meaning they’re encouraging you to spam. You’re doing a parallel quest online? Are the two other players saiyans? Expect to see nothing but beam spam all over the screen, because super saiyan encourages it. I soon made a female saiyan since they have stronger ki blast attacks (named her Spam La Spam, btw you can only make one OC until you beat the game), grabbed Perfect Kamehameha (Cell) and went to town. Most PQs I’d do nothing but run, charge up, go super saiyan & spam those ultimates all day till I cleared it. The sad thing is, spamming ultimates will get you easy Z ranks while I’d tend to get shit on with my melee female earthling character (called her PMS) for putting in more work. 

Only time I was forced to use melee was on PQ 19 since the special requirements were plain stupid & required precision to achieve, which AI & randoms can easily fuck up by spamming beams & killing certain characters before others. You had to kill Trunks before Vegeta & kill Goku before Gohan to trigger the event. Thing is, Trunks doesn’t show up till Vegeta is below 50%, and Gohan has such little health that spamming beams regularly led to those two running right in like morons & dying too early. Using kaioken x20 with Recoome kick that boosts attack if it hits, plus Pose K that gives super armor, plus Pose E for more attack, plus final pose for more attack, I couldn’t be staggered & easily kill Trunks & Goku within 15 seconds with standard combos that I could keep going all day. The worst of the AI is when they just give them infinite ki & stamina, the most notable being PQ 32 & 47. 32 has you fight Goten & Trunks, then Vegeta & Future Trunks, then Goku & Gohan. They can all spam their ultimates all day, and while Vegeta & Future Trunks aggravate me, Goku & Gohan are even worse. They’ll try to time their ultimates to stun lock you to death with constant super kamehamehas.

47 is even worse since you start off against Tien, Piccolo & Yamcha. Then Krillin & #18. Then Hercule & Videl, followed by Majin Buu. Then onto Vegeta, Future Trunks & Kid Trunks. Then finally Goku, Gohan & Goten. The last part is just as BS as in 32, Goten’s just tagging along this time. Beat them all & Goku gets back up & goes SSJ3. Beat all this within 10 minutes & you go on to fight Gotenks, then Vegito, at which point Gotenks gets up & goes SSJ3, then Vegito transforms too. Did I mention the first time you do this they expect to solo all those 3 on 1 fights? Most people spam the shit out of ultimates to win, less they become the main course at the super saiyan gangbang. Once again, the mission is a cakewalk with actual online players. Otherwise all that beam spam is reserved just for you.

Enough said.

Well, I talked about this far longer than I thought I would. Still enjoyed the game, but it has a ton of flaws, the majority of which of course they won’t fix since it’ll lessen time spent on the game.
« Last Edit: 28 March, 2015, 01:13:52 pm by Satsuki Kiryuin » Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #236 on: 28 March, 2015, 01:10:08 pm »

i would be a namek guy
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #237 on: 28 March, 2015, 01:32:03 pm »

i had a black namekian too
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #238 on: 28 March, 2015, 02:13:22 pm »

*sends a thumbs up your way*
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #239 on: 03 June, 2015, 07:11:51 pm »

Rising from the grave once again. Should go over this otherwise I’ve probably never get to it. The newest Souls game (some will deny it but let’s be honest, many things just have some name changes but it’s mostly the same gameplay) & while getting tons of hype & attention it faded away surprisingly fast. Tons of people talked about it for like 2-3 weeks, finished the game then it just didn’t get brought up very much, I forget whether it was the same with Dark Souls 2. So, kinda mixed on the gun, wish it did more damage (outside of wanting to cheese bosses) though I do like the aspect of catching an enemy in the middle of an attack animation to get a critical attack. The game emphasizes quick movement & gives you a lot of stamina to do so, even at the start, which is always good. Blood vials isn’t good because by a certain point you’ll likely use them all up then have to go grind out kills or souls blood to buy more, don’t know why they couldn’t give you like 10 if you’re completely out. Kind of a bother when a boss is eating away all your vials. In the previous games you just kept running into that wall until it fell, you didn’t have to stop sometimes to tie your shoes.

Having armor where the stat differences are so small that you wouldn’t miss much when wearing the doll’s outfit in a boss fight, I’m rather neutral. Letting you just buy all weapons from a shop after beating special enemies is great. I don’t truly like the true final boss being hidden unless you do certain things. It’s not incredibly vague here but on a first run you have a good chance to miss it by doing certain things too early in the story or not visiting certain areas later on, but whatever. All in all, a fast paced Dark Souls is totally my thing. Now for spoilers: I don’t actually own the game. I know the whole plot, the range of weapons & guns, seen all the bosses & areas, know all the mechanics, and yet I’ve never played the game. Mainly because I don’t have anywhere as much money as I did when Dark Souls 2 came out & people seem to love fucking Europe in the ass when it comes to PS4 game prices (unless you pay $70-$75 for every new game on Amazon, then I’ll drop it).

Something amusing about the many playthroughs I saw of Bloodborne due to tons of people naturally starting around the same time was that Dark Souls style playing seems more like a determent. In Dark Souls you’re normally urged to play patiently & defensively. Study attack patterns, go in for one to two hits, back out if you get hit & heal up etc. Unless you gut gud, then you deliberately used bad weapons & ran around naked because you rarely got hit regardless. BB even has a health regen mechanic if you hit back the enemy within 3-5 seconds which is great, and removes shields to take away that security blanket. I’ve seen many people get hit once then back down & chug down blood vials all day. But the game wants you to get back in there. Don’t back down, stay aggressively focused. Don’t plan things out, just react. Eventually with a few more pushes down this line the Soul series might become like DMC & Bayonetta, even if that’s a laughable theory.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: