Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 04:36:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Welcome to Animal Crossing - As experienced by a newcomer

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome to Animal Crossing - As experienced by a newcomer  (Read 2112 times)
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

Mood: Quixotic

That guy

« on: 21 June, 2013, 03:43:23 pm »

Animal Crossing. A hugely popular series of games developed by Nintendo, dubbed (according to the always accurate Wikipedia) a "community simulation video game". Carrying with it a large fanbase, and a even a character in the new smash bros, the series is still going strong, 12 years after the first game was released for the Gamecube.

And I have never played a single one of them. I know that you fish, and catch bugs. That is literally all I know about Animal Crossing, and have never thought to try it out.

But with the release of Animal Crossing New Leaf, I've decided it's time to try the series out. It's ideally a game that you play in short bursts every day, which lends itself well to some blog-type stuff. It's also easy as **** to take pictures in game, and transfer them to a PC, so that helps.

I have no idea if I'll enjoy it, and keep it up for months, or if it'll crash and burn tomorrow. We'll just have to see.

Characters:

Illis, mayor of Foxvale

Rosy cheeked, and ready for some mayorin'.

Isabelle, secretary dog

The cutest fucking thing ever made, holy shit.

Roscoe, black stallion

Seems very monochrome, nay.

Whitney, white wolf

She's also an MVP, apparently.

Sterling, knight of the skies

Not his actual title, but I mean, it's pretty cool.

Papi, the other horse thing

Sporting a very nice floral pattern, too.

Peggy, the pig

Is apparently into furries, roleplay and small children.

Now, seeing as I'm posting this at the end of my second day, I'll just post some cliffnotes as to what I think so far, and what I've done (which is not a lot).

Progress:
- I have bought a house, which was built and ready on the second day. I am now already in debt to Tom Nook, although he's at least nice about it. I've been on the internet long enough to know that I'll be shit-deep in debt to him for pretty much my entire life.
- I've caught a few fish and dug up some fossils, and donated them to the museum.
- Tommy Nook gave me a virtual boy. Thanks, you buttface.

Thoughts:
- Seems pretty alright so far. The townspeople seem quirky and interesting.
- The fact that their dialogue changes on a daily basis is pretty neat.
- Running in real time, it is actually pretty relaxing to play the game. No time limits to meet, and no stress.
- I can tell decorating is going to get pretty awesome later on.

Now that everything else has been said:

Welcome, to Animal Crossing.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2013, 04:17:37 pm »

Sterling is in my town as well, he's boss.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
NPC Overlord Nikoleis
Removing dust
Legendary Member

Mood: ...

Back as soon as I CAN SEE IT, CAN'T SEE 3D!

« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2013, 04:18:04 pm »

My only piece of advice: locate the rarest fishes (depends on day, hour and meteorological condition: rain is good) and I bait Tom Nook won't bother you in a reasonable ammount of time, reasonable being dependant of the point of view used, expressed in months with a daily basis of 1 hour fishing/selling and 1 hour doing whatever, including shopping.
Report Spam   Logged
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Mood: Indescribable

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2013, 04:54:54 pm »

So basically Tom Nook owns the Mayor? Sounds like in New Leaf he's become the closest thing the series has to a mob boss.

I remember getting Wild World on DS, but I returned it shortly after 'cause I couldn't really get into it. Maybe I'm just not used to the genre, but I don't really cope well with such open, free, slow-paced, relaxed games. I never know what I should be doing.

This is amusing me so far, though. ur funneh
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

That guy

« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2013, 05:08:08 pm »

Sterling is in my town as well, he's boss.
Sterling is pretty boss. His house apparently smells like a gym.

My only piece of advice: locate the rarest fishes (depends on day, hour and meteorological condition: rain is good) and I bait Tom Nook won't bother you in a reasonable ammount of time, reasonable being dependant of the point of view used, expressed in months with a daily basis of 1 hour fishing/selling and 1 hour doing whatever, including shopping.
The pun hurt a bit, but I'll keep it in mind. Mostly I've just been fishing to add to the museum, once I start selling more fish I'll try to keep track of what they sell for.

So basically Tom Nook owns the Mayor? Sounds like in New Leaf he's become the closest thing the series has to a mob boss.
Essentially, yes. Though I will be fair, and say that he's at least a nice mob boss, not the kind that breaks your legs for not paying.

At least, not yet.

And thank you. Like I said, I'm liking the game, at least based on these two days, so I should be able to keep this up.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #5 on: 21 June, 2013, 05:13:11 pm »

I might be tempted to give the series another go sometime, but I'm having to choose my games very carefully right now so I don't see it happening any time soon. Undecided

And you wait. One day Illis will be late on a payment or something and he'll wake up to find either Roscoe or Papi's head in his bed. My money's on Papi. It's early days but Roscoe currently seems more like an enforcer.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

That guy

« Reply #6 on: 21 June, 2013, 05:21:34 pm »

From the conversations I've had with him, Roscoe does seem like an enforcer type.
Report Spam   Logged

zeldafan42
If you want to get back in touch, find me on tumblr
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: ZeldaFan
Mood: Curious

A nostalgic wind blows....

« Reply #7 on: 21 June, 2013, 06:59:06 pm »

The 8est Animal Crossing conversations are ones where you de88 just who is in the mo8 and who isn't.

Glad you're enjoying the game. I want it so 8ad, 8ut........money is tight. If only I had more money!!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2013, 11:54:28 pm »

That proclamation was pretty boss, dude. Obviously Illis has been taking lessons from Tyler Durden.
Report Spam   Logged

I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

That guy

« Reply #9 on: 22 June, 2013, 03:31:58 pm »

That proclamation was pretty boss, dude. Obviously Illis has been taking lessons from Tyler Durden.
Exactly. Most rules should just be based on Fight Club, really.

Day 3

I start the day, in the same way I imagine I'll start most days, with one of the most important mayoral duties: Digging for ancient dinosaur fossils buried 2 feet underground in a populated town. Clearly, the residents of this world have no interest in the history of nature.

Seriously guys, it was LITERALLY right underneath the grass. Sheesh. Being mayor is tough.

However, there was no rest for the wicked, as I was informed that a new citizen was moving in, by the name of Keaton. Visiting him in his home, it was filled to the brim with moving boxes, which he kindly informed me would take him an entire day to unpack. Apparently, he's the world slowest unpacker, as it was still morning, but I digress. He was welcomed to town, personally.

Uh, thanks Keaton. That's very nice info. Guess I'm dealing with another weir-

Congratulations Keaton, your rent just got lowered. Substantially.

As I left Keaton's house, it occured to me that my pockets were filled with an assortment of creatures and objects, most of which were not related to my mayoral job. Already in debt to Tom Nook and wanting to expand my hovel house, I knew I needed money. So off I went to the local recycling store Re-Tail, to sell my stuff to the owner, Reese the pink alpaca.

Yes, please take this live bass, these random shells I found on the beach and this chair I found in a tree.

With money in hand, it was time to go to Tommy and Timmy Nook's store, to see if anything was worth buying. As I entered, their damned fortune cookie sat there on the table, taunting me. Last time, eating that fortune cookie had made Tommy Nook gave me a virtual boy. The bastard. It was Timmy Nook in control this time, so I bought the cookie.

Whoaa, man. Dude. Bro. That's deep.

YES! This was finally it, an item of value. And indeed, Timmy gave me a fire flower from Mario. I like Timmy. Tommy can go fuck himself, but Timmy is alright. As a thank you, I bought a bugnet as well.

Realising I had not actually been to my office yet, I ran back towards town hall. On the way I met Papi, and went to say hello. Apparently, he had thought up a perfect and awesome nickname for me. Well, I thought, it wouldn't hurt to hear him out.

Is... Is that a subtle hint at something, or are you just making fun of my fortune cookie obsession?

I finally made it to the town hall. Isabelle had already prepared a special seat, specifically for the mayor. It had everything. A PC, important papers, a cup of coffee an old school phone... Everything was set for me to rule this town and get a giant statue of myself built in the center of town.

Oh, nothing that's appropriate and/or legal.

Everything was set... except I need a town development permit. What? I'm the god damn mayor, can't I just give myself the permit? But no, apparently I need 100% approval rating from my townspeople. Oh alright, I thought, easy. And then Isabelle tells me my approval rating.

50 percent.

Excuse me. You mean to say that half my damn town doesn't approve of me? This will not stand. I slammed my fist on the table, raising my voice. I will not accept so much disapproval. I will show them, I will show them all!

Then Isabelle asked me to catch three different bugs, and I agreed.

Pretty sure my secretary shouldn't order me around, but damn it, I can't disappoint her.

And so, the rest of my day was spent running around catching butterflies, and frolicking in the grass. It was a good frolick. On my way back to my house after a day of hard work, I ran into a... I'm not quite sure what it was, but it was selling wallpaper. My house sure did need wallpaper, so I agreed to it's proposal to sell me stuff.

How about furniture, for the... touring of... furs. I suck at this.

It went in, and came back out, satisfied with its work. The wallpaper, it said, was just the right one for me. Excited, I went inside, to look at its handiwork.

I know I wrote that I was the overlord of Foxvale, but this is perhaps a bit too far.

My house now looks like a damp dungeon.

Thanks, Saharah.
Report Spam   Logged

Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #10 on: 22 June, 2013, 04:04:04 pm »

I may be about to embarrass myself by stating the obvious, but I think Saharah's meant to be a camel. And there's an Alpaca character? Cool.

So basically you're the town errand boy as well as the Mayor? Oh and, again, funneh commentary.
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy

Yare yare daze

« Reply #11 on: 22 June, 2013, 04:06:00 pm »

SA2 does the best blogs.
Report Spam   Logged

Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: 18
Power Level: 3,149,743.69
Username: SA2

« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2013, 04:25:44 pm »

Nonsense, I only have 2 entries atm, I've barely started.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Gargravarr
Just Wow.....

Do the Hitmontop!

« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2013, 07:55:56 pm »

BTW, how are you taking these screenshots?
Report Spam   Logged

. . .
I_like_Nonon
The one and only ILS
Global Moderator
Just Wow.....

That guy

« Reply #14 on: 22 June, 2013, 08:00:45 pm »

I may be about to embarrass myself by stating the obvious, but I think Saharah's meant to be a camel. And there's an Alpaca character? Cool.

So basically you're the town errand boy as well as the Mayor? Oh and, again, funneh commentary.
Oh yeah. That'd make sense, actually. I just didn't see any humps, so that confused me. And there are two alpaca characters I know of, actually. Her husband, a blue alpaca, is just asleep during the day.

SA2 does the best blogs.
Nonsense, I only have 2 entries atm, I've barely started.
But they're very good entries though.

BTW, how are you taking these screenshots?
It's as easy as pressing L and R at the same time. It saves the photos to the SD card, so it's easy to transfer to my laptop.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: