Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 06:59:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The Adventures of Rock Bratinstin II in Drangleic (DSII Spoilers)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Adventures of Rock Bratinstin II in Drangleic (DSII Spoilers)  (Read 1280 times)
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #15 on: 13 March, 2014, 02:59:08 pm »

Returning to the game for the day, I made a point to explore the Shaded Woods. The first thing I found was another one of those "show the sign of the king" doors I can't get open. The atmosphere here is nice; its distinctly different from Darkroot in the first game as it feels much older and unknowable than the dark and foreboding air that Darkroot gave off. I found a mini-boss guarding a door here; as I prepared to face him I was ambushed by a poison zombie and nearly killed. Somehow I survived and found that the place it was guarding, the Shrine of Winter (appropriate given the huge drop in temperatures New Jersey had today) was not yet open. So I turned around and met Vengral, a decapitated petrified head who warned me about his body and seemed like a good enough guy.

After traversing a massive foggy area that I'm sure I missed things in, I came to a ruins area in the Woods. Cursing was the big deal here; there's jars that spew curse gas, although it only docks some of your health rather than kill you instantly and give you a half health penalty like Dark Souls' curse did. These strange lion/buffalo (I can't tell) looking warriors gave me a lot of trouble until I started drawing them out one by one. What was my reward? A fucking giant Basilisk that killed me with one tail swipe. I took the other path and let him be next time.

The other path lead to a giant scorpion man monster thing. He wasn't hostile, however. I couldn't understand him yet, but a quick trip back to the talking cat in Majula procured me both the Name Engraved Ring and the Ring of Whispers. With this, I talked to the scorpion dude and got some info about what I would be facing next. He's also tied to a certain Dark Souls character that is a favorite of mine. He's a cool dude by all accounts. I also finally saw a gemstone lizard but couldn't kill it because my strikes kept hitting walls.

As I continued to explore, I fell into a pit. Imagine my surprise when I found Homing Soulmass (cool, but I don't use magic) and four basilisks! Thankfully they go down easily so I avoided being petrified. Earlier I freed a bull lion thing from stone and killed it to get a key. I now had found its use; it opened a door to a crow demon (the one's in the Painted World.) This one was a nice lady though. Her name was Ornifex and she told me she'd help me out if I could find her house. I still have not yet found it. I think she's a boss soul trader which would be nice.

Anyway, I finally made it to the boss, Scorpioness Najka, who is like Quelaag's younger cousin. She has a big scorpion body beneath the waste and uses sorceries instead of the spider/pyromancy combo that Quelaag had. She was a tough one; not quite as merciless as Executioner's Chariot, but her sweep was nasty and her ability to stagger me strong. Took a few tries (you can also summon the scorpionbro you meet earlier, Tark) but eventually I was victorious. One of my favorite bosses thus far, although she could have been a bit bigger and more dramatic (she doesn't even get a "here I am look at me" intro cutscene like Quelaag does.)

Following my path lead me to the Doors of Pharros. You get these Pharros keys and they open weird doors, but I'm too afraid to use them yet since I'm weird like that. These doors are everywhere here (hence the name) but they weren't connected to the main path it seems. There's a bunch of dwarves in here as well as Mastodon soldiers, which is just great. I fought some rats too, and they've taken a step up from the first game; they can hit you with toxic even on block and this destroys your health. This would also be my bane for the next for few fights. The next boss fight was against the Royal Rat Authority, which is basically Sif without a sword and as a giant rat. However, he fights you with four rat soldiers, and they can get you hit with toxic. If this happens, you're basically done because there's little to no time to kill the small rats before the Authority smashes you to pieces. I would die instantly in this fight; thankfully its literally right near a bonfire, but I couldn't summon anyone to help. I managed to destroy the soldiers in one fight and then beat the Authority; without his soldiers he's like a less difficult Sif so you just need to get underneath him and destroy him. Possibly the toughest boss yet. Incidentally, I also fell for my first Mimic trap here.

After that onslaught I came to Brightstone Cove Tseldora, which seems like an evil version of Majula. Its very farm like and all, and the enemies are evil peasants but they're a nasty bunch. They have more range than I expected, set up boulder traps and almost never fight in groups of less than three. If you get past them and enter a cave, you have to fight a half dozen spiders. They're not very durable, but they jump around a lot, can snare you in webs that makes you functionally immobile, and they do crazy damage. Many a curse was yelled in this area, much to my dad's delight (he's a merciless troll, my father.) The boss here was kind of interesting. Its called the Prowling Magus and he's like Pinwheel in that he's weak as balls and a magic man. Unlike Pinwheel, however, he has a crazy congregation that fights with him, so you have to take both out. Not too tough, but I dig the name. After some leveling up (now at SL 89, which strikes me as the game going "the end game level range is much higher than before") I did some jolly co-operation against Najka. I fought with a dude who wielded a sword right out of Berserk and a guy named "cmfrtbly-numb", both of which made me smile.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: