Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 04:11:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The Adventures of Rock Bratinstin II in Drangleic (DSII Spoilers)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Adventures of Rock Bratinstin II in Drangleic (DSII Spoilers)  (Read 1267 times)
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« on: 11 March, 2014, 09:09:49 pm »

This topic will chronicle the many doings and deaths as I go through Dark Souls II. Major spoilers and boss names and stuff will be small texted.

The first challenge awaits; successfully download the 125 MB updated needed to play the game.

*165 minutes left and rising*

Fuck PSN.

EDIT

Being mean to PSN gets results it seems. Slowly but surely downloading.
« Last Edit: 11 March, 2014, 09:39:18 pm by Gravelord Nito » Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Masterman
Mood: Yandere

Yes.

« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2014, 09:48:43 pm »

I shall be a recurring viewer here. Godspeed, Rock.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2014, 11:10:28 pm »

I'm going to be getting it for PC, so I'm going to have to wait a while.

Should be worth it, though.

Will avoid this topic until then.
Report Spam   Logged

Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: 18
Power Level: 3,149,743.69
Username: SA2

« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2014, 12:16:32 am »

Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2014, 01:53:01 am »

So, after defeating the dreaded update and watching the intro cinematic, my saga began. I found myself in a dark, heavily forested area with just some cloaks and shit on my being. Playing Dark Souls the day before had instilled in me the idea that I should explore every nook and cranny and do it brazenly, despite knowing that this was a catastrophically dumb idea. There were no enemies, just some dogs that seemed only sort of interested in me, so I did some exploring. I came upon an area with holes in the ground. As I followed them, it came to my understanding that they were actually footprints from a large hippo cyclops monster which proceeded to one shot me.

After dying again to make sure there was nothing cool I was missing, I entered a nearby cabin where I met three old ladies in red and a younger lady in red who seemed to be their serving wench. The ladies were not particularly kind and gave me the hollow run down that the intro cinematic already gave me and generally heckled me. After giving them my name (Bratinstin II, since the character restrictions wouldn't allow for my full chosen moniker of Rock Bratinstin II) I was given a Human Effigy as a reward. Maybe they're not so bad after all. Finally I was able to customize my character and choose my class. He looks slightly like me, or as much as the creation would allow (its more robust this time, to be fair.)

I decided before I got the game to be a Knight, since they have nice starting stats and lack a shield at first. I wanted to get used to dodging and rolling since even in Dark and Demon's I usually tanked with a shield. It was a good choice since the starting armor is neat. As for a gift, I went with Seed of a Tree of Giants based solely on the name. I recently found out it makes enemies attack and notice invaders should I get invaded, so I consider that a cool call. Once this was done it was into the designated "learn the game" area where I killed some bandits and got used to the torches and other new intricacies of control.

At the end of the training zone, I finally saw light. Exiting from a crevice in a wall I stepped out into a new area, filled with sunlight and by the ocean. The place almost seemed like a quaint little farming village. Its known as Majula, and it serves as the game's HQ in the same way the Nexus and (sort of) Firelink Shrine do in their respective games. I then met the Maiden in Black Emerald Maiden, the game's level up NPC. Early impressions of her are more positive than the MiB, mostly because she speaks without that weird accent, doesn't have pancakes stitched to her face and has Emerald in her name and cloak.

Some light exploration of Majula yielded results. A shield from an armor merchant who stutters and sounds like a he has a crush on the player character, a ring and official position in the Way of the Blue covenant (I doubt I'll stick with it, but the "you can be invaded in any form" thing is still in the back of my mind) courtesy of the game's resident crestfallen guy, and an encounter with something very surprising that nearly destroyed me and sent me fleeing to a bonfire. I would spoiler it but I don't want to, its just that awesome and hilarious. Just goes to show even Majula isn't fully safe. After dying a few times in a cave due to not paying attention and falling into a watery abyss, I finally ventured forth to the next (and only available) area; The Forest of Fallen Giants.

In addition to an awesome name, the Forest looks pretty cool. Its still very sunny and all, but its filled with dark ruins, massive gnarled roots and branches and lots of hollows. I won't go into too much detail, but for awhile it was all in good form. I was taking out Hollows and trying to get some souls (the first level up requirements were a bit steeper than I expected.) I came across an old merchant lady and bought a hand axe. It wasn't as good as my broadsword, but I wanted to play axes guy this runthrough so I equipped it. Fast forward a bit and it breaks. Turns out weapon degradation happens at a much quicker rate in this game, but it is instantly fixed if you rest at a bonfire. If the weapon breaks though, its broken for good. Or at least it is now, I don't know if there's a blacksmith that can fix it. Souls well spent.

As someone who beat Demon's and Dark Souls (the later twice), I was getting used to the game's tricks and was guessing some ambushes and such here and there. Naturally I felt I could just do whatever at this point. I was rewarded for this thinking by a giant eagle dropping a scary knight down to fight me. I attempted to fight him and was nearly slaughtered, but thankfully I ran and he didn't follow too far. I licked my wounds and vowed to be more careful. My next major event was not being careful and being crushed by a boulder trap.

Crushed isn't a good word; only sort of crushed. I had enough health to tank the hit, and thankfully the enemy nearby did not. I then met some nerd who claims to be a cartographer. Talking to him about maps for a little bit (thrilling stuff) eventually nets me a key to the mansion he's squatting in over at Majula. I fast track my way over there and check it out. It seems empty for the most part, but then I find the basement. "Oh cool." I said. "I wonder what cool secrets this pl-" and then I saw a skeleton warrior running after me and my Dark Souls Nam flashback kicked in and I ran my ass back to a bonfire to make sure it went away. The mansion can wait.

So pretend I told you about an hour of random enemy fights and slight NPC encounters and deaths and stuff. This hour ended by finally finding a shortcut to a bonfire as well as the first boss, The Last Giant. I rather like his design, and I appreciate that he destroyed me my first time because I tried to get fancy with magic weapons and shit (like I was back in Demon's Souls or something.) I went for a more straight forward approach, but still got a bit too sure of myself and was killed while healing. The third time was the charm though. I feel a bit bad for him since he seems to be in pain, although midway through the fight he rips one of his arms off and tries to beat you to death with it, which is great.

With a boss soul, a bunch of normal souls and a key for my troubles, I unlocked a door and found another door demanding I show the sign of the King. I fiddled about with this for a bit before decided I didn't care anymore and would come back to it. Instead, it was time to try my hand in some jolly co-operation. Placing my sign outside the previous boss' lair lead to a quick summon. The first fight did not go well though; I got a bit distracted and cocky and was smashed by the boss, dying instantly. The second time went much better, as me and my summoner weaved in and out like a pair of expert fighters. The third and final time saw me meet up with a phantom I fought with the first time. I imagine he laughed at me when I died (his build was better too) but Dark Souls II doesn't convey that information too well.

Newly renewed and filled with vigor, I found the correct path and was greeted by the second boss, The Pursuer. He's the knight that I fought earlier that didn't pursue me, but he was going to pursue me now for sure. His intro is fucking awesome, and I was so in awe that the first fight involved him impaling and cursing me and promptly beating my ass. The second time was a bit better, and it seemed like I had a chance to take him out until I rolled off the side of the arena to my death. Not having this nonsense anymore, I took him on a third time and won. The fight was fantastic; in felt like a lighter, earlier in game style fight against the False King in Demon's Souls. One jolly co-operation later for good measure and I returned to my Emerald lady friend in Majula to level up and ponder my next path.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2014, 01:53:27 am »

also yes i'm ripping off sa2 for this topic
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2014, 02:15:49 am »

also yes i'm ripping off sa2 for this topic
it's cool mang, im going with something quite different for this one

Anyway,

- How are you finding the rolling in 2? Are the I-frames much smaller like I've been hearing?
- I'm guessing the surprising encounter is the unassumingly harmless things near the Majula well?
- Speaking of which, if you don't already know this, there's an estus flask shard you can get by hitting the well. There's also one up the stairs from the merhcant by that bonfire in the Forest on the way to the boss
- Do you know what the new rules are concerning summons yet?
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2014, 09:40:57 am »

-I haven't been able to really say yet. I didn't roll all that much in the first game so I'm no expert on the subject.
-Correct.
-I did not, cool. Thanks bra.
-Not yet actually.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #8 on: 12 March, 2014, 10:10:08 am »

Also, something I completely forgot to mention is that the Forest has the stock bird sounds that Ocarina of Time has when you're an Adult Link in wasteland-y areas and its really distracting.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #9 on: 12 March, 2014, 02:36:47 pm »

So after gathering up some shards thanks to SA2's sage advice I decided it was time to explore Lost Bastille. Its a dark, castle-y type area that wouldn't feel out of place in Demon's Soul. I summoned a guy for shits and giggles and we proceeded to tear the place apart. The mummy things and dogs were no match for us. He then left of his own volition and I got slaughtered by a band of roving swordsman. These swordsman would be the bane of my existence for some time. On their own they aren't too bad, but they come in groups of three to five and once screw up equates to been destroyed.

After fighting them for awhile and finding a sort of sneaky path, I fought the third boss, the Ruin Sentinels. These guys (girls?) were the toughest by far. At first its a one on one match, but soon the sisters join in and you have to balance two to three foes at once. There's also unavoidable fall damage if you want to have room to fight them. I did poorly several times and tried to summon some people to help, but this didn't go well either. There needed to be a change in plans; my weapons weren't cutting it anymore. I took a trip back to the Forest and got a key from the old lady to let the blacksmith into his house. It was time to get an axe going.

But I needed souls. So what do you do when you need souls? Jolly co-operation! I set my sign down by the second boss and waited. The first time our host died. The second time I was killed when an **** fighting with us triggered the ballista and destroyed me rather than the boss. Things weren't looking up. However, I persevered and eventually got mad souls from helping people out. There's also a little ledge right before the boss room where its fun to stand and do the warcry gesture at people who summon me. I don't know if it annoys them or not, but I like to hope it does. My souls in tow, I returned to the blacksmith, bought a battle axed, and pumped it up with titanite as far as I could. It was time now.

The axe did much more damage on boss three, and after a tough battle I was finally victorious. A new bonfire was my reward and so was the heaping of souls. The coolest thing though was a new NPC; Lucatiel of Mirrah. She's this boss ass chick with a golden beard mask and a great sword, and after chatting it up we bonded and became buds. I now had more areas of Bastille to explore, but there was a new enemy to great me. These weird exploding zombie things caught me by surprise a few times, but thankfully my axe cleaved them apart in a single blow. That said, death always comes to me, as I fell trying to some items like an idiot. Exploring the area revealed a new fog gate, so I started across the bridge to see it only to be murdered by three crossbow guys I didn't see. Rinse repeat until I get to the gate.

The gate leads to a new area, Sinner's Rise. The bonfire is right next to the crossbow guys, so I died a lot until I realized I could go down and avoid them. Going lower takes you under the earth, where I found a summon sign for my girl Lucatiel. We went off into a flooded area only to be accosted by... something. I really have no idea what they are, they look like big yellow mollusk demon things. It was only now that it occurred to me I may be in this area too soon, as they do hella damage. We carried on and made it to a boss, which confirmed my suspicions. The boss was the Lost Sinner, one of the four primal bonfire guardians and, as such, one of Dark Souls II's big bosses. It wasn't a massacre exactly, but we both died and I felt I needed to beef myself up more. Of course, I lost all those precious souls once the poison zombies ambushed me, so I decided on a new route.

Before that though, I wanted some souls back, so I did jolly co-operation for boss three. These rounds went very well other than one where a dude died, and the final one sent me a message after we defeated the boss. It was sincere thanks from a player who was having a huge pain fighting them. I was honored to have assisted him and let him know that. After boosting my Estus Flasks with a burnable item and leveling up, I decided I should probably do something productive or at least take a break before trying a new area.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #10 on: 12 March, 2014, 04:29:12 pm »

Y'know, the changes to the summon system put in place is actually a good thing for those waiting to be summoned since the short amount of time you can stay in others games with time being reduced for every enemy you kill means it just makes more sense to place your sign pretty close to the boss door, and who doesn't love a bit of jolly co-operation? Though with my experiences I'd be more likely to find really awful teammates instead of decent ones who know when to back off. I'm just naturally pessimistic, if only I could be so grossly incandescent
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #11 on: 12 March, 2014, 04:30:55 pm »

Its tough be so grossly incandescent, I'm sure.

I legit miss Solaire.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #12 on: 12 March, 2014, 04:35:24 pm »

It's hard not to, hard to hate the guy at all
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #13 on: 12 March, 2014, 06:12:47 pm »

lol nice name
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #14 on: 13 March, 2014, 01:16:08 am »

So I'll keep this one short, especially since there's crazy big spoilers in one section.

I got some new gear and found Heide's Tower of Flame. Its very Anor Londo-esque. The boss there, Dragonrider, was not nearly as cool as it sounded. Huge disappointment. The No Man's Wharf, however, was great. Really neat style, tag team up against a cool boss with Lucatiel, and these weird enemies with giant arms that kind of scared me. It did, however, have a trap chest that murdered me. Not a single bloodstain in front of it but of course its a trap.

I still can't beat the Lost Sinner, despite trying multiple times. However, I did beat another boss, and this is huge spoilers so yeah, warning and stuff.

Ornstein! Well, I guess it might not be him, but I doubt its anyone else. The game calls him Old Dragonslayer, you get his ring after you beat him, etc. Its all very interesting to me; I guess that means the Ornstein fought in Anor Londo was part of Gwyndolyn's illusion as well? Super cool stuff for lore enthusiasts. He wasn't that tough solo, but I still smiled at the fact he was here.

After accomplishing this, I spent a huge chunk of time in the Huntsman's Copse. It was tough at times until I found ways to really lure the enemy out into the open and stuff. I won't use small print for this since its well known from the demo, but my god the Executioner's Chariot was mercilessly tough. The skeletons make it a huge pain to fight and even if you survive that first part, the horses have basically unblockable and very quick attacks. Nasty stuff. The Skeleton Lords weren't as tough, but I liked their design a lot and it was nice to see Bonewheel Skeletons again (they killed me my first time fighting them of course.)

Next up was Harvest Valley, a place filled with poison and other weird things. These big giant guys have punches that shoot abyss orbs or something, its a bit strange. Nearby this place is the Earthen Peak, but its more or less just an extension of the place rather than a new area. The boss was cool looking but pretty easy once I found a safe spot near him. I also got an item that lets me unpetrify people, so I returned to Majula to free the stone chick, who I found out is named Rosabeth. She then asks me for clothes and watches as I get slaughtered by an unseen group of poison zombies. Nice girl. She made it out without a scratch though. I gave the one boss I can't beat one last try, and after failing again I decided to call it a day. Next destination is the Shaded Woods.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: