Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 01:52:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The Adventures of Rock Bratinstin II in Drangleic (DSII Spoilers)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Adventures of Rock Bratinstin II in Drangleic (DSII Spoilers)  (Read 1281 times)
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #15 on: 13 March, 2014, 02:59:08 pm »

Returning to the game for the day, I made a point to explore the Shaded Woods. The first thing I found was another one of those "show the sign of the king" doors I can't get open. The atmosphere here is nice; its distinctly different from Darkroot in the first game as it feels much older and unknowable than the dark and foreboding air that Darkroot gave off. I found a mini-boss guarding a door here; as I prepared to face him I was ambushed by a poison zombie and nearly killed. Somehow I survived and found that the place it was guarding, the Shrine of Winter (appropriate given the huge drop in temperatures New Jersey had today) was not yet open. So I turned around and met Vengral, a decapitated petrified head who warned me about his body and seemed like a good enough guy.

After traversing a massive foggy area that I'm sure I missed things in, I came to a ruins area in the Woods. Cursing was the big deal here; there's jars that spew curse gas, although it only docks some of your health rather than kill you instantly and give you a half health penalty like Dark Souls' curse did. These strange lion/buffalo (I can't tell) looking warriors gave me a lot of trouble until I started drawing them out one by one. What was my reward? A fucking giant Basilisk that killed me with one tail swipe. I took the other path and let him be next time.

The other path lead to a giant scorpion man monster thing. He wasn't hostile, however. I couldn't understand him yet, but a quick trip back to the talking cat in Majula procured me both the Name Engraved Ring and the Ring of Whispers. With this, I talked to the scorpion dude and got some info about what I would be facing next. He's also tied to a certain Dark Souls character that is a favorite of mine. He's a cool dude by all accounts. I also finally saw a gemstone lizard but couldn't kill it because my strikes kept hitting walls.

As I continued to explore, I fell into a pit. Imagine my surprise when I found Homing Soulmass (cool, but I don't use magic) and four basilisks! Thankfully they go down easily so I avoided being petrified. Earlier I freed a bull lion thing from stone and killed it to get a key. I now had found its use; it opened a door to a crow demon (the one's in the Painted World.) This one was a nice lady though. Her name was Ornifex and she told me she'd help me out if I could find her house. I still have not yet found it. I think she's a boss soul trader which would be nice.

Anyway, I finally made it to the boss, Scorpioness Najka, who is like Quelaag's younger cousin. She has a big scorpion body beneath the waste and uses sorceries instead of the spider/pyromancy combo that Quelaag had. She was a tough one; not quite as merciless as Executioner's Chariot, but her sweep was nasty and her ability to stagger me strong. Took a few tries (you can also summon the scorpionbro you meet earlier, Tark) but eventually I was victorious. One of my favorite bosses thus far, although she could have been a bit bigger and more dramatic (she doesn't even get a "here I am look at me" intro cutscene like Quelaag does.)

Following my path lead me to the Doors of Pharros. You get these Pharros keys and they open weird doors, but I'm too afraid to use them yet since I'm weird like that. These doors are everywhere here (hence the name) but they weren't connected to the main path it seems. There's a bunch of dwarves in here as well as Mastodon soldiers, which is just great. I fought some rats too, and they've taken a step up from the first game; they can hit you with toxic even on block and this destroys your health. This would also be my bane for the next for few fights. The next boss fight was against the Royal Rat Authority, which is basically Sif without a sword and as a giant rat. However, he fights you with four rat soldiers, and they can get you hit with toxic. If this happens, you're basically done because there's little to no time to kill the small rats before the Authority smashes you to pieces. I would die instantly in this fight; thankfully its literally right near a bonfire, but I couldn't summon anyone to help. I managed to destroy the soldiers in one fight and then beat the Authority; without his soldiers he's like a less difficult Sif so you just need to get underneath him and destroy him. Possibly the toughest boss yet. Incidentally, I also fell for my first Mimic trap here.

After that onslaught I came to Brightstone Cove Tseldora, which seems like an evil version of Majula. Its very farm like and all, and the enemies are evil peasants but they're a nasty bunch. They have more range than I expected, set up boulder traps and almost never fight in groups of less than three. If you get past them and enter a cave, you have to fight a half dozen spiders. They're not very durable, but they jump around a lot, can snare you in webs that makes you functionally immobile, and they do crazy damage. Many a curse was yelled in this area, much to my dad's delight (he's a merciless troll, my father.) The boss here was kind of interesting. Its called the Prowling Magus and he's like Pinwheel in that he's weak as balls and a magic man. Unlike Pinwheel, however, he has a crazy congregation that fights with him, so you have to take both out. Not too tough, but I dig the name. After some leveling up (now at SL 89, which strikes me as the game going "the end game level range is much higher than before") I did some jolly co-operation against Najka. I fought with a dude who wielded a sword right out of Berserk and a guy named "cmfrtbly-numb", both of which made me smile.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: 18
Power Level: 3,149,743.69
Username: SA2
Mood: Amazing

« Reply #16 on: 14 March, 2014, 04:01:33 am »

So would you say that people tend to overlevel a little, but due to the game being new, this won't lower your chances of joining people pretty fast?
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #17 on: 14 March, 2014, 08:21:02 am »

I would say that's pretty reasonable. I've never had any trouble getting summoned thus far even with my SL being at like 90 and climbing right now. I think the sheer length of the game and the slightly more open way you can tackle levels means that (at least for right now) there's a wide range of people at each place.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #18 on: 15 March, 2014, 02:11:14 pm »

So yesterday I made some significant progress into the game. The newest area was the underground cave segments of the Brightstone Cove. In addition to the spiders I had seen earlier in the cave, there are these weird hunchback mage things that are my nightmare. You see, my build doesn't have much in the way of range or magic defense, and these guys have homing spells that have a ton of range. And if you get close, they have a multi-shot version that can really destroy you. They made the next section a bit of a hassle, as well as the zipline things that make getting around tough.

Anyway, at the bottom of the cove I finally found Ornifex, the crow lady. She takes higher level boss souls and makes weapons and spells from them. At the time I only had one viable soul, so I withheld for the time being. I also found Straid at some point, the other boss soul trader, and got some stuff that I'm not capable of using yet but they look neat. Next was several attempts and getting through the spiders and spider people and basilisks and such. It didn't take too long, but eventually I made it to my goal; another one of the big four bosses, The Duke's Dear Freyja. And the first few attempts at defeating it were nothing short of embarrassing.

The deal with Freyja is that its a giant spider with two heads, one on each end. It can fire massive lasers that require your full attention or else you'll get destroyed. However, there's also spiders in the room as well, and you need to take of them before you can engage Freyja. However again, they also respawn throughout the fight, usually when you've got a good rhythm against Freyja, and thus you need to manage your range and dealing with the spiders and Freyja. Its super tough and for awhile I wasn't doing so hot. But the true Dark Souls experience happened. Bit by bit I fought and got farther each time, and finally I crushed the beast and obtained my first Great Soul.

A nice path opened up do an area called the Lord's Private Chamber, which only had one violent NPC guy that I destroyed, and then Vengral's body who was a bit tough, but I returned victorious to Majula. Also, the Private Chamber is straight up Duke's Archives in style. My next idea was to explore Earthen Peak more, since I only got to the very beginning of it before. Its filled with poison still, but by this point most of the enemies weren't too difficult. Carving my way through the knights and pale desert sorceress chicks I came up to the boss, Mytha the Baneful Queen. The environment of the fight basically makes it impossible, unless you figure out a little secret. Spoilers bellow.

So in order to remove the poison from the room, you have to burn down the windmill. Basically, at one bonfire you light a torch, go to the windmill near by and light it on fire. This removes the poison from the room, which means you don't die from poison and Mytha doesn't heal. After this, the fight ends up being much more manageable and even fun. The design is also cool, not too complex but its neat. After beating this, I got a bonfire for the Iron Keep, then did some co-op against the boss again because it was fun and I liked helping people. However, one thing still troubled me.

And that thing was The Lost Sinner. I still needed to defeat it somehow. I made up my mind; I wouldn't be going to bed until it was dead. I cleared out the area a few times, died a few times getting the hang of it, and then summoned Lucatiel and went out to destroy my foe. Lucatiel was vanquished in the fight, sadly (I imagine she'll be okay later) but this gave me the opportunity to finally bring down my foe. All was right with the world, and two Great Ones have been slain. My next stop, after meeting a guy with a ladder, is The Gutter. The area reminds me of Blighttown; I am not fully prepared for this reality.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #19 on: 15 March, 2014, 05:41:11 pm »

Two bosses I haven't heard of or seen yet, hmm. Also, how did you figure out the trick then with that room? Were there any hints on the way there?
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #20 on: 15 March, 2014, 05:52:31 pm »

There's no real indication about what it does, and I won't lie, I was spoiled for it after dying several times in what seemed an impossible fight. I did some co-op though where me and the other guy kept pointing the guy that summoned us in the direction of where to go, which was cool.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #21 on: 16 March, 2014, 10:26:18 am »

I'll make my more detailed update at a future time, but I love the Iron Keep even though its been killing me a lot. Great area.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #22 on: 18 March, 2014, 12:57:09 pm »

The Shrine of Amana might have the most difficult section of any Souls game. I don't think I'll beat this one clean; the enemies are already starting to disappear.
« Last Edit: 18 March, 2014, 01:33:35 pm by Gravelord Nito » Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #23 on: 18 March, 2014, 01:34:33 pm »

One of these days I'll have a bigger SA2 rip off update I swear.

Despite this area being merciless, I really like it. The boss was possibly my favorite in the game; not hard but the design was great and it felt more like a Dark Souls boss than just a warrior guy, which some of the bosses of late have been.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #24 on: 18 March, 2014, 02:29:31 pm »

Not everyone can be me, Floyd

I hear a lot of people are calling that place the worst area in the game because of the normal enemies & their placement
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #25 on: 18 March, 2014, 04:44:08 pm »

It's the toughest, but I hesitate to say it's the worst. It's aesthetically pleasing and while in no lore expert the stuff there is really interesting. The mages are 100% fucking awful if you're a melee class for sure, but I still like the place.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #26 on: 18 March, 2014, 04:57:19 pm »

The mages are 100% fucking awful if you're a melee class for sure, but I still like the place.
...Awesome.

I made a loose Guts build, but after going through the Iron Keep, he resembles him even more. I took the armor of those knights and the captain's helm and now I look like Guts in Berserker armor kinda.
Report Spam   Logged
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #27 on: 18 March, 2014, 09:41:11 pm »

Good thing I have my magic to back me up, at least I hope I can fight magic with magic. Maybe a 15 kill limit isn't so bad...
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #28 on: 19 March, 2014, 05:43:12 pm »

I have beaten Dark Souls II. Tune in this weekend for a mega post detailing my final actions in Drangleic along with my final thoughts.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #29 on: 19 March, 2014, 08:55:11 pm »

Cool man
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2