Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 06:59:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The Adventures of Rock Bratinstin II in Drangleic (DSII Spoilers)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Adventures of Rock Bratinstin II in Drangleic (DSII Spoilers)  (Read 1279 times)
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #30 on: 23 March, 2014, 09:25:56 am »

here we goooooooooo

Before delving into the Gutter, I took a quick break to explore the Grave of Saints since I hadn't gotten there as of yet. Little did I know it would be my first taste of PVP. The Grave of the Saints is where the Ratbros lurk, so while you go through the level you can get reverse invaded and pulled into their world. Despite being at a disadvantage because of the rats that side with the invaders, both times I fought ratbros I won. I felt pretty good about this. The boss of the stage is pretty meh though. Royal Rat Vanguard could have been cool but its basically just a fit with several rats while looking for the main target. Definitely one of the lower tier bosses in the game.

After this, I could delay no longer. It was time to descend to the Gutter. Having met a traveler with a ladder, I descended into the big pit in Majula. Instantly I had Blighttown flashbacks, but thankfully the frame rate held steady like a rock this time, making the descent much more bearable. Overall, the area wasn't too bad. Maybe I was over prepared since I feared it so much, but I only suffered a few stupid deaths. That said, those Silent Hill 3 looking dog things made me uneasy to be sure. I also found that I was not quite prepared for how much poison was in this area. There's just a lot poison in general in this game. Dark Souls II loves poison.

And continuing from that train of thought, I eventually made it to the Black Gulch. The tone of this is eerie, almost alien in a sense. Its very odd and cool despite the fucking poison shooting statues that are everywhere in this level. I first tried to rush through and was rewarded by weird alien monsters popping out of the ground and devouring me. Naturally this lent to a more easy going approach, but god damn those statues. It ended up being a real crawl, and finding the second bonfire near the boss gate was a life saver. As for the boss, The Rotten wasn't too bad. He's probably the easiest of the Primal Bosses, but he's still pretty neat and his design is super gross and Nito-y. Three down and one more to go.

I had made a conscious decision to do the Iron Keep last because it seemed like the coolest area. I was right. It ended up being one of my favorite levels in the game. The architecture is cool, there's lava everywhere and the enemies are tough but fun to fight. The archers in particular were vicious. I had more trouble with them in this area than I did with the archers in Anor Londo. The first boss was also definitely tough. I tried to keep Lucatiel alive throughout the fight but I didn't have the "enemy attacks you" ring so it didn't happen. Smelter Demon eventually went down with a Gyrm Shield, but imagine my surprise when I went back to where he was later to find the Pursuer making a comeback.

I continued to fight through the waves of knights and turlefaces. It was a slow process, but soon I was getting the hang of the place. I took a brief detour when I found a bonfire that led to a new place. This place was Belfry Sol, and much to my surprise it was a PVP hotspot. Unlike the ratbros, these guys weren't kidding around and I got destroyed my first time. I had to slowly lure out the actual enemies while hoping I didn't get invaded. It took a long time but I rang the bell eventually and cleaned out the area before calling it a day and returning to the Iron Keep. Waves of turtlefaces and fire traps later, I stood at the gate for the boss, the Old Iron King. In addition to having the best boss name, he looked amazing and was a fun ass fight. I took some cheap deaths the first few tries because of the area and some lava incidents. He wasn't super rough though, and is one of my favorite bosses in the game. And with that, all the Primal Bosses were defeated.

Now my destination was Drangleic Castle, but I made one last detour. Inspired by Belfry Sol, I went to go see Belfry Luna. The area is smaller than Sol (at least it feels like it) so I didn't have as much trouble with the invaders there. I had to laugh at the boss though; fighting six Belfry Gargoyles was simultaneously cool and disappointing. In any case though, the fight wasn't bad for a callback and ringing the bell after fighting them did give me a little bit of a smile. Also in one of the Belfries you fight a phantom based on a PVP video I've seen before with the guy being naked and dual wielding auto crossbows. I almost laughed my ass off when I saw it.

There were no more distractions now. I strode through the woods and found my destination. Drangleic Castle stood before me; it was time to end this. Or so I thought.

part 2 will be up later in the day
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: 18
Power Level: 3,149,743.69
Username: SA2
Mood: Amazing

« Reply #31 on: 23 March, 2014, 10:35:27 am »

Quote from: Gravelord Nito
Having met a traveler with a ladder, I descended into the big pit in Majula. Instantly I had Blighttown flashbacks, but thankfully the frame rate held steady like a rock this time, making the descent much more bearable.

Couldn't help but laugh at this.

I also found that I was not quite prepared for how much poison was in this area. There's just a lot poison in general in this game. Dark Souls II loves poison.
It loves poison so much it made it as bad as toxic in the first game & then made toxic take slightly less damage than lava.

I had made a conscious decision to do the Iron Keep last because it seemed like the coolest area. I was right. It ended up being one of my favorite levels in the game. The architecture is cool, there's lava everywhere and the enemies are tough but fun to fight. The archers in particular were vicious. I had more trouble with them in this area than I did with the archers in Anor Londo. The first boss was also definitely tough. I tried to keep Lucatiel alive throughout the fight but I didn't have the "enemy attacks you" ring so it didn't happen. Smelter Demon eventually went down with a Gyrm Shield, but imagine my surprise when I went back to where he was later to find the Pursuer making a comeback.

I hate them too. Also, you shouldn't even bother with the ring for that boss fight, it doesn't help, I know from experience.

Also in one of the Belfries you fight a phantom based on a PVP video I've seen before with the guy being naked and dual wielding auto crossbows. I almost laughed my ass off when I saw it.

I think I encountered an NPC just like that in Doors of Pharros. When I noticed he was trying to keep away, I just ran in & R1'd him to death.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #32 on: 23 March, 2014, 12:25:02 pm »

I met the Emerald Herald outside the castle, talked a bit and began the siege. I had this sort of idea in my brain that the castle would be the final area; a huge sprawling level of sorts. I ended up being incorrect about this, but its still one of the coolest areas in the game. As a side note, this is right around when Igarashi announced his departure from Konami, so Castlevania was on my brain. A friend of mine that loves the Soul games likes to say they're the best 3D Castlevania games. I know its a thought that's been said online before. I don't particularly agree fully, but seeing Drangleic Castle in the depths of my Castlevania introspection certainly led credence to the idea that From Software could make a killer Castlevania game.

But needless digression aside, the Castle was fun. The enemies are tough and opening the doors requires some serious risk. I was overwhelmed a few times thanks to the statues and stuff. I was also surprised to see the Sentinels make their return, and while alone they're not bad, they can team up with the statues and really make your life difficult. One area that disappointed me was the first boss; two Dragonriders. Fucking good work there, guys. After finding an elevator that lead to a door I couldn't open, I headed down to the King's Passage to fight a boss everyone knows by now, the Mirror Knight. However, he's called the Looking Glass Knight now. He's still a great boss; I had some trouble since it was late and I had been playing a lot and was getting frustrated easily, but eventually he fell. I used his soul to create the King's Mirror shield; it served me well.

The King's Passage led to the next area, the Shrine of Amana. I was instantly taken in by this area. There's a woman's voice singing constantly, its aesthetically pleasing, and the enemies are neat (of of them looks like a Licker crossed with a salamander or something.) Everything was going smooth until I hit the second bonfire. That's when the mages showed up. I wrote about it already, but Jesus Fucking Christ the mages. My build wasn't suited to magic defense, so one hit from these guys did serious damage. And not only that, the magic has a homing effect. And you're in water so you're slow. And there's multiple mages with high range. And other enemies can ambush you. This area was merciless for me. I don't pretend to be an expert in these games, but I feel that I'm decently solid enough. This area buckled my resolve more than any area in any Souls game ever other than maybe Blighttown, but with Blighttown it was because of the framerate. This was just all hard.

But despite this, the area is one of my favorites. Like I said, its neat and filled with cool enemies other than the mages, but there's some cool lore there. For one thing, it has my favorite boss of the game, the Demon of Song. He's not super tough, but his design is incredible and the lore about him is interesting. And then there's the singing ladies you meet. There's four in the game (one is in that door I couldn't get into in the elevator earlier.) When you talk to them they tell you about their group. They're called the Melfinato and they sing to the dead. Apparently they were created by the "Great Dead One". At this point the bells in my head were going off, and then I got the name. My main man might not be in the game still, but Papa Nito's influence is still felt.

The Shrine was finally cleared, and it lead to the aptly named Undead Crypt. After the merciless beatdowns I received by the Shrine mages, I expected the worst. It wasn't so bad at first though, despite these witches being around with a full range of magic attacks. Sides note, but there's a lot more females in this game in general this time. Lots of female spellcasting enemies, the Solaire character is a girl, and decent number of bosses are female or have female names despite being horrible monsters so you'd not be able to tell. Anyway, I met a dude with a name like an SMT spell who was a Fenito, a guardian of the dead. More Nito! I encountered a bit of trouble with these phantom enemies for a bit before finding a way around them. My boss this time was Veldstadt, the Royal Aegis. He's very Garl Vinland like, although he's only a mid tier boss at best. AFter his defeat, the way to the King was clear, but the fight wouldn't start yet. Instead, I grabbed the King's Ring and, after another chat with the Emerald Herald (I'd been enjoying these as well; they made her stand out more as a character) it was time to open some doors.

third and final part will be up later
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #33 on: 23 March, 2014, 01:50:33 pm »

With the King's Ring I could finally open those doors that had been taunting me since the beginning of the game. I opened the Shaded Woods door and found myself in front of Aldia's Keep. After fighting a phantom that was presumably her brother, I had the final talk with Lucatiel. It was pretty sad and definitely keeps the Dark Souls "all NPC subplots will be hella sad" rule. Aldia's Keep is the dragon mansion from the original trailers and reveal, and its pretty cool. There's lots of enemies kept in cages and it all feels like a mad science area. Its somewhat disconcerting in this regard. Its not too long an area, but its boss was a welcome relief. After so many warrior type bosses, seeing a straight up dragon (called the Guardian Dragon) was a joy my heart couldn't believe.

That theme wouldn't stop there, because the keep exits out to another previously seen area, the Dragon's Aerie. Once again the Emerald Herald was there to fill in some details for me, and then off I went. The area is cool, very craggy and windy, and besides the exploding zombies there's not many enemies beyond three more Guardian Dragon fights. It was a bit odd to see them so shortly after I had just fought one as a boss, but they remained fun regardless and I'm not against having more cool enemy types in the game. Like the Keep, this are was pretty short and not too bad. Its really just a pit stop on the way to the main attraction, the Dragon Shrine. This one is short, but the enemies are nasty. It took me a few tries to fight through it, but my reward was a meeting with the Ancient Dragon, who gave me an item I needed to enter dreams like a regular burnt serial killer of children.

Using this item, I returned to the early areas of the game and hunted down trees that would allow me to enter memories of long fought battles. These sequences aren't super long or difficult, but they were cool from a lore perspective and really helped me appreciate the game's story more. And there's a nice boss at the end of one of them, the Giant Lord. I happen to like the giant's designs in this game a lot, and I'd be really interested to see if they get expanded on in any way in DLC or sequels. I doubt they will though since the Souls team seems to want to always change and expand the themes of the games, which I can't fault them for. Anyway, the purpose of these adventures, beyond the lore, is to get Giant Souls that allow you to fight Vendrick, the King of Drangleic.

Technically you can fight Vendrick right after Veldstadt. However, he has unreasonable defense (I've read with no Giant Souls in your inventory he has 36x his regular defense!) and is more or less a slog and not fun. So, with all these souls, I was ready to face him, but there was one Soul I was missing. And to get it would require me to fight an optional super boss, the very same Ancient Dragon who gave me the ability to enter dreams. I wouldn't balk from any challenge though, so I took him on. I then found that every attack he has one shots you and has crazy range. This wasn't going to be easy. I died multiple times getting to him and fighting him before eventually doing naked runs past the enemies. I had to optimize my equipment to take him on and learn to recognize his patterns 100%, but after numerous tries he eventually went down. It felt like I had just killed Godzilla with an axe. I've rarely felt so much satisfaction in the game. After this ordeal, it was little trouble putting down Vendrick, who by now I felt sorry for. The end game was near, but I had one final pit stop.

At some point earlier I decided to become a member of the Pilgrims of the Dark. The reason is because I wanted to fight every boss in the game, and the Pilgrims allow you to fight an optional boss. However, their subquest is also unreasonable and on the border of being unfair. You have to clear three areas out to accomplish this. In order to access an area, you need to give up a Human Effigy each time. Lose and you have to pay the fee again. And these areas are not easy; the phantoms there are tough, its easy to fall into pits and its just merciless. One of the phantoms is Havel, and he's tougher than ever. If you don't lure enemies you have little shot here. It took me several tries and much frustration, but I eventually got to the boss, the Darklurker. He's tough as hell, but what makes him frustrating is if you die, you need to pay an effigy and go through the tough area again to get to him. He has an arsenal of tough spells and when you get him to about 50% of his health, he splits in two. I tried numerous times but couldn't beat him. I even threw my phone I got so mad. I eventually conceded defeat; this was just too much for me.

Enraged now, I took to the final area to crush the final boss. Nothing would stand in my way; the Emerald Herald gave me her last bit of lore and history and I was off. A boss fight with the Throne Watcher and Throne Defender was merely a pit stop. Fueled by my rage, I found the final boss; Nashandra, the queen of Drangleic. I emt her before and she looked normal, but now she had taken her true form, a bizarre hybrid of Gravelord Nito and Crossbreed Priscilla. She put up some token resistance, but it didn't take long to figure her out and crush her. I ascended the stairs and the bridge made of giants. The Emerald Herald narrated my ascent. My throne was before me and I took my rightful place as Rock Bratinsin II, the new ruler of Drangleic. But all was not well. The Darklurker still taunted me. I've tried a few times to face him, but I've yet to get him. I'll keep trying to defeat him so that I can truly say I've beaten the game and all the bosses.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #34 on: 23 March, 2014, 01:54:48 pm »

So here are my overall final thoughts, (slightly) edited as I sent them to a friend and thus there's some stuff inside references and stuff that wouldn't have made sense to this site.

I finished at Soul Level 157 and a time of 45:12:26. Overall, its excellent and more or less on the same level of quality as Dark. Its not like before where Dark was pretty much superior to Demon's in almost every aspect for me. The interface is vastly better and most of the changes are pretty easy to get your head around, like the healing time and human effigies and such. I will say that torches ended up not being nearly as big a deal as they made them out, although that might go along with the lighting changes people are complaining about. In any case it never really bothered me.

The best thing about the game are the worlds and level design. Almost every area is cool to look at once you get to a certain point, and there's rarely anything like Lost Izalith or Blighttown. There's still areas that are fucking frustrating as hell, but even as I lost my mind and threw my phone (only once) I always found the area itself interesting. I'm no Dark Souls lore expert, but there are call backs which are interesting and the lore of the city really takes off near the end of the game.

Now, inevitably I have to choose which one I like more, and while its very close and both are great, my choice is Dark Souls for two reasons. The first is that while this has more bosses, Dark Souls has better bosses. There's never really anything in this game that comes close to Kalameet or Sif in terms of design, challenge and overall coolness. In fact, there are a lot of warrior type bosses that you can use a similar strategy for throughout the game with minimal change. The enemy design is so great too so it kind of disappoints me that the bosses aren't as up to snuff.

Furthermore, the tone isn't nearly as cool. Its hard to describe, but this one feels more down to earth. You're obviously still fighting demons and shit, but there's villages and people around and most of the environments seem pretty natural and normal. Its not like Demon's where this was a detriment (my biggest complaint with Demon's is that much of the game is very familiar fantasy style at times, something Dark addressed nicely.)

I don't want to directly steal a quote, but Yahtzee said it perfectly in his review with Dark Souls in that it feels like you're a fly buzzing around the halls of something much older, bigger and more powerful than you. That's what made Dark work. You felt like a champion after destroying something you have no right defeating. This one and Demon's don't have that; you still feel good since they're tough, but anybody could have reasonably done that in the game's world/lore.

But these are two minor gripes and they only come up when you compare the game to Dark Souls. If you compare it to pretty much any other AAA release it fucking sparkles. The community is complaining about certain aspects like the lighting and Soul Memory, but none of these things really bothered me. Its also probably the hardest game in the series. Its really tough. In any case its thus far the best game I've played all year and a wonderful successor. I'm glad to see it selling well.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #35 on: 24 March, 2014, 06:23:57 am »

SL 157, huh? Were you preparing for certain bosses or did that come naturally?
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #36 on: 24 March, 2014, 09:03:07 am »

A little of both. The end game level is much higher than the first game. I beat Dark Souls at like SL 85 I think.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Spring-Loaded
Spring; the season your dreams take place in
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Practical

« Reply #37 on: 24 March, 2014, 05:15:47 pm »

Did you hear about the Dark Souls prototype for Gamecube/Xbox?

Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #38 on: 24 March, 2014, 05:32:11 pm »

Oh god lol

There's some little Dark Souls touches in Otogi which makes me smile.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #39 on: 04 June, 2014, 11:40:43 am »

Looks like Rock Bratinstin rides again.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #40 on: 04 June, 2014, 12:44:39 pm »

Geez, you got on this shit even before I could.

All I can say is, "About time." I wonder if my character would even still be playable after all the constant nerfs I've been hearing about over the months. If I didn't already know this was eventually coming I would've deleted my file when I was done to save hard drive space.
« Last Edit: 04 June, 2014, 12:46:11 pm by Satsuki Kiryuin » Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #41 on: 04 June, 2014, 01:02:13 pm »

I am always on the Souls news, my friend.

I'm excited though. Maybe it will clarify some of the ending a bit.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #42 on: 04 June, 2014, 02:32:41 pm »

They'd better still let me strafe around bosses for easy wins.

Not even legit sarcasm, I hope they keep the strafing in.
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #43 on: 04 June, 2014, 02:39:15 pm »

I just hope this DLC carries on the tradition of the DLC bosses being amazing. Artorias, Manus and Kalameet are top tier material and the Sanctuary Guardian is a solid mid-carder.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #44 on: 29 July, 2014, 03:14:12 pm »

All things must continue in time. Rock Bratinstin II rides again as he begins his quest to find the three Crowns. Will this quest grant him the power he seeks to finally crush the Darklurker without magic? Will the bosses be as good as the last game's DLC? Only time will tell.

so yeah there will be spoilers like before, just sayin
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: