Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 04:48:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

I play games...and sometimes I write about them. (Anarchy Reigns!)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I play games...and sometimes I write about them. (Anarchy Reigns!)  (Read 2039 times)
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #15 on: 14 June, 2014, 02:36:04 am »

Yyyyup. Already more than halfway there, what with having just got the S rank on chapter 15 (it's apparently one of the hardest ones) as well as every chapter prior to it.

Seriously though, you need to be pretty damn near perfect with your counters and be rather lucky with your specials to get the S.
Report Spam   Logged

Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: 18
Power Level: 3,149,743.69
Username: SA2

« Reply #16 on: 14 June, 2014, 03:49:44 pm »

Yeah, I've heard about how flawless a lot of it needs to be
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #17 on: 23 June, 2014, 08:33:29 pm »

So I finally finished the main portion of the game a couple of days ago.

It took me until yesterday to get that last S rank for Chapter 3; Vritra is a bitch, but is actually much easier once you've run it a few times to get the patterns and weakness timing down. Actually, that last bit is something I find happens a lot in Asura's Wrath. There are so many many many enemies who will have super armor on their attacks and tiny windows of vulnerability where you can stun them and then launch them into combos and damage for gauge. And I've come up with this little mantra (heh) in my head for doing episodes. The first time is for learning the thing, the second is for refining your strategies, and the third is for actually clearing the damn thing. This of course does not account for having to restart on account of dying, which happens a lot on Hard since it's literally the last chapters and all enemies hit like a truck.

That said, I'm well into the last bit of the DLC (which is basically another chapter) I've completed Episodes 19, 20, and 21, where I've S ranked 19 and 20, but I suspect I still have some revision to do on 21 (seriously, fuck you Yasha and your teleporting bullshit) before I can finally S rank it. After that will be...episodes 22/23/24, I guess?

Heh, a 24 episode anime.
Report Spam   Logged

Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #18 on: 23 June, 2014, 09:30:53 pm »

Never saw most of the DLC stuff myself
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #19 on: 23 June, 2014, 09:54:14 pm »

There's basically three bits.

Two interstitial anime episodes (they get .5s appended to them) that are interesting to watch but...that's about it, and the big Nirvana DLC which is basically the final chapter of the game.

That must have been a kick in the nuts when it was first released, what with the DLC not actually being out yet...
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #20 on: 24 June, 2014, 12:38:58 pm »

So...uh, turns out there were no episodes 23 or 24. Episode 22 was the very last one (and what a long one it was!)

In other, entirely unrelated news, turns out I beat and S ranked all of the game on hard, leaving me with only some random trophies for running the game on different difficulties and with various handicaps if I want to complete the set.

In the spirit of honesty, I'll just say I probably won't.
Report Spam   Logged

Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #21 on: 24 June, 2014, 02:03:29 pm »

You might as well if the hard part is already over
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #22 on: 24 June, 2014, 07:07:51 pm »

I suppose I could, but half the point of playing this game was so I could watch it while I was playing, and it's not exactly a short game either. Just skipping through everything all over again for some random trophies really doesn't appeal to me all that much.

Especially when I could spend that time playing other games that I could write about here.
Report Spam   Logged

Marie Rose
Totally legal
Semi-epic Post Whore

« Reply #23 on: 28 June, 2014, 11:46:22 am »

Did you fight the street fighters?
Report Spam   Logged

~SA2
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #24 on: 28 June, 2014, 04:26:08 pm »

Nah, I didn't bother buying them.

BTW, finished all those trophies just 'cause I could and am moving on to other games now.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #25 on: 01 July, 2014, 12:14:43 am »

So yeah I've decided I'm going to play through (and most likely 100%, given my compulsions) Enchanted Arms, an old as hell JRPG by, surprise surprise, From Software. Yes, the guys who made all the Souls games.

Most of the reason I'm playing it is honestly that it was my first JRPG on this generation of consoles (I had it for 360 a fuck-off long time ago), I never actually got around to finishing it at that time, and I saw it in the used games bin for ridiculously cheap.

And boy oh boy does the age of this thing show. If it's not the dated designs, sub-par graphics, laughably execrable English voiceover (although oddly enough there's an option for somewhat decent Japanese voices) or the obvious throw-in console gimmicks (shake your SixaxisTM controller for MOAR POWAH!!), it's made obvious by the fact that not only does it have random encounters, it has an encounter rate set so high you can barely move your character for 10 seconds without being interrupted by some random battle.

And it's not even like most of the random battles are interesting! They're literally an exercise in trying to blow up all of your enemies before they can get a shot off, because allowing them to get a turn means at the end of the battle you lose points from a meter used to gauge your endurance. Random battles are literally supposed to grind you down in this game! It's preposterous!

And that's just not even getting into everything else about the design.

So yes, I'm playing this game, and I've already gotten through the introductory bits with the obligatory doomed hometown. I'm now at the bit with the spunky, troubled tsundere and her all-too accommodating bodyguard/babysitter with the cool pauldrons and stupid hat.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #26 on: 02 July, 2014, 02:32:47 pm »

So that's another couple of dungeons and a few more bosses now.

Story's still fairly predictable (although I'm already mostly spoiled on it despite not actually remembering all that much all that clearly) but at least the battles are getting a little harder.

Still grindy as all fuck, and as far I can tell designed to be that way.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #27 on: 08 July, 2014, 02:46:12 pm »

So I beat up the fire dragon demon guy, and am now in sandy vagina city listening to this annoying kid party member's ever so sad backstory.

Also, all my characters are swole as fuck with this stat-buying shit the game lets you abuse.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #28 on: 14 July, 2014, 02:16:42 am »

And I'm basically in the endgame right before all the final boss fights right now.

Which of course means that I did a bunch of shit after the last time I updated. Most this involved finishing up sandy vagina city, then immediately moving on to loljapan city where I had to deal with a bunch of obstructionist fuckyfucks and their incompetent creeper of a boss. This of course necessitated my finding ninjas kidnapping the token tsundere love interest and leading me on the wildest goose chase until I finally beat all of them up and jesus christ what is it with this game and splitting the party. But yeah I went and fought things and fought bosses and dealt with this pretty cool guy in a pretty cool outfit and he gave me new skills and then I used the skills to kill a big dumb samurai tank boss!

And then there was more talking and walking around and talking and a couple bossfights with a guy who seems to hate shirts and I'm cleaning up all the sidequests for phat lewts.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #29 on: 14 July, 2014, 03:53:13 pm »

So I'm like halfway through the big bonus dungeon that's so uber hard it's even harder than the rest of everything else in the game.

And man is it a slog.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: