Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 05:49:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

I play games...and sometimes I write about them. (Anarchy Reigns!)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I play games...and sometimes I write about them. (Anarchy Reigns!)  (Read 2056 times)
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #45 on: 16 July, 2016, 02:55:19 am »

i just keep seeing anarchy reigns in the thread title and thinking "now that would be a fun game to talk about"
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #46 on: 16 July, 2016, 04:28:32 am »

heh, i should probably get rid of that some time

but yeah, i beat the **** out of that game. Even if it wasn't Platinum's finest work, it was adorably gonzo.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #47 on: 16 July, 2016, 02:38:20 pm »

i also have that game

it was, irrefutably, a video game
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Masterman
Mood: Yandere

Yes.

« Reply #48 on: 16 July, 2016, 08:17:52 pm »

A long time ago I promised myself I'd finish, XCOM: EW on Impossible.

A few days ago, I decided to keep that promise.

Jesus **** have I been save scumming. XCOM's infamous starting difficulty is the real deal, as you almost always lose runs within the first two months, when you haven't yet got your economy and security network off the ground.

Still, I'm motoring along fairly well, and am just about to finish the first big objective in the Alien Base. Not before I unlock all the plasma weapons I can, of course, but it's looming.
It's crazy how Thin Men prove to be the worst **** enemies all throughout the game.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #49 on: 16 July, 2016, 08:22:52 pm »

A long time ago I promised myself I'd finish, XCOM: EW on Impossible.

A few days ago, I decided to keep that promise.

Jesus **** have I been save scumming. XCOM's infamous starting difficulty is the real deal, as you almost always lose runs within the first two months, when you haven't yet got your economy and security network off the ground.

Still, I'm motoring along fairly well, and am just about to finish the first big objective in the Alien Base. Not before I unlock all the plasma weapons I can, of course, but it's looming.
It's crazy how Thin Men prove to be the worst **** enemies all throughout the game.
It's a combination of them being the most common mid-level enemy throughout the game, the fact that their plasma rifles will fuck you up and they're hellisly accurate with them, their ridiculous mobility, and the fact that they're always scattered fucking everywhere.
Report Spam   Logged

Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Masterman
Mood: Yandere

Yes.

« Reply #50 on: 16 July, 2016, 08:28:54 pm »

Scattered everywhere. They always have just enough distance to screw you even harder than they already would.

Have you done the Newfoundland mission? And if so, what were your very first thoughts going into it?
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #51 on: 16 July, 2016, 08:37:04 pm »

I'm not unfamiliar with it.

Haven't hit it in this run yet, though. I imagine it'll be even more hellish on Impossible.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #52 on: 22 July, 2017, 11:04:40 am »

I've got the most ridiculous backlog impossible, but sometimes I actually manage to make my way through it.

This is one of those times. I've been playing Xenogears, and have finally managed to hit the infamous second disc. While it's true that the plot and narration certainly shifts into ultra-high Gear (lol), what actually strikes me about it is the way that the gameplay drops off of the face of the planet. Oh, this boss fight? Nah, he does no damage to you. Oh, this boss fight? Nah, you can oneshot him. And it's narration narration narration all the time.

I can't help but think that this tendency actually began at the end of the whole Shevat portion of the story though (and don't get me started on the execrable melodrama nestled comfortably within the Solaris portion)
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #53 on: 24 July, 2017, 05:03:54 pm »

Alright, so I probably should have said this about the time that Nortune turned into a megazord that used a submarine as a beam cannon, but I think whoever made Xenogears was watching the wrong mecha shows.

Yes, you put mecha in your game. No, putting a four-minute-long sequence of the Elements forming Voltron was not a good idea.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #54 on: 04 August, 2017, 01:26:21 am »

Sometimes when I go up a quest level in Monster Hunter and look at the sheer goddamn amount of quests that await me, I just despair.

I mean, I know I'm going to do all of them eventually. But could there just not be so fucking many?
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #55 on: 06 September, 2017, 01:14:38 am »

Fucking monster hunter caught me again

110 hours in. Dang.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #56 on: 02 October, 2017, 05:06:19 pm »

Finished everything I wanted to do in MHG, and am now escaped from its grasp.

Working on Bravely Second now, and it's still so adorably cute. I really love what they do with 3D and the environments.
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #57 on: 02 October, 2017, 08:55:24 pm »

I still need to actually put time into Second. I love the first one but Second came out at a bad time schedule wise for me.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #58 on: 03 October, 2017, 12:04:59 am »

Just like the first one, Second also has a bunch of FarmVille-type content that runs while you have the game in sleep mode, so the sooner you get on it, the better.
Report Spam   Logged

Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #59 on: 24 October, 2017, 12:29:15 am »

3DS is borked, need to get it looked at. In the meantime, I finished Xenogears and wrote a little about it.

So I just finished a playthrough of Xenogears that I started whothefuckknowshowlongago.

On the whole, an...interesting game. Decidedly a product of its times, definitely ambitious, but objectively a buggy, rushed mess. And don’t get me started on my issues with the ending.

Was mildly amused to see that Production I.G. had done the anime cutscenes, though. Thought that style was familiar.

So yeah, I can see why some people look back on it with nostalgia goggles. But as somebody looking at it from a different lens, all I can really think of is just how much could have and should have been changed.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: