Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 06:20:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

I play games...and sometimes I write about them. (Anarchy Reigns!)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I play games...and sometimes I write about them. (Anarchy Reigns!)  (Read 2041 times)
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #15 on: 01 July, 2014, 12:14:43 am »

So yeah I've decided I'm going to play through (and most likely 100%, given my compulsions) Enchanted Arms, an old as hell JRPG by, surprise surprise, From Software. Yes, the guys who made all the Souls games.

Most of the reason I'm playing it is honestly that it was my first JRPG on this generation of consoles (I had it for 360 a fuck-off long time ago), I never actually got around to finishing it at that time, and I saw it in the used games bin for ridiculously cheap.

And boy oh boy does the age of this thing show. If it's not the dated designs, sub-par graphics, laughably execrable English voiceover (although oddly enough there's an option for somewhat decent Japanese voices) or the obvious throw-in console gimmicks (shake your SixaxisTM controller for MOAR POWAH!!), it's made obvious by the fact that not only does it have random encounters, it has an encounter rate set so high you can barely move your character for 10 seconds without being interrupted by some random battle.

And it's not even like most of the random battles are interesting! They're literally an exercise in trying to blow up all of your enemies before they can get a shot off, because allowing them to get a turn means at the end of the battle you lose points from a meter used to gauge your endurance. Random battles are literally supposed to grind you down in this game! It's preposterous!

And that's just not even getting into everything else about the design.

So yes, I'm playing this game, and I've already gotten through the introductory bits with the obligatory doomed hometown. I'm now at the bit with the spunky, troubled tsundere and her all-too accommodating bodyguard/babysitter with the cool pauldrons and stupid hat.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: