Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 03:15:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

I guess since I'm here again, I'll make my own Now Playing topic!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I guess since I'm here again, I'll make my own Now Playing topic!  (Read 13604 times)
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #240 on: 22 May, 2016, 10:13:37 pm »

Alright, I've beaten Dark Souls 3 like, three times now. Did a tier list for Dark Souls 3 bosses, this time with little write-ups. Not gonna small text this time, 'cause only DB is still playing. Here's a buffer, tho

LOW TIER:
19. Dragonslayer Armor
- Dark Souls 2 reject boss who happens to be as much of an asshole as he is pointless.
18. Ancient Wyvern
- A boring gauntlet boss. Slipping off to my doom while trying to plunge attack him didn't win him many points, either.
17. Nameless King
- The bastard child of Alonne who decided to fight like Ornstein instead. "Hey, do you really think giving the badass superboss that will close out our series a charge attack that leaves them open for the 10th time is a good idea?" "yopyop"
16. Ocieros the Consumed King
- Hilariously easy, boring too.
15. Dancer of the Boreal Valley
- Pretty much the most forgettable boss in the game, except for being a pain in the ass to deal with on low vit/level runs.
14. Crystal Sage
- Neither Crystal Sage nor Pinwheel are anything resembling a worthy successor to Fool's Idol, and those aren't even deep shoes to fill.
13. High Lord Wolnir
- Lamer version of Curse-rotted Greatwood, essentially.

MID TIER:
12. Deacons of the Deep
- Kinda glad they finally made a Phalanx expy, but they're a bit too far on the low end of the difficulty curve to pass muster.
11. Yhorm the Giant
- Kinda have more appreciation for this boss now that I've been doing the Siegward questline on every playthrough. Easy boss that's kind of lame for a Lord of Cinder, but working with Siegward is kinda fun.
10. Abyssal Watchers
- Artorias is my favorite Dark Souls boss, but god am I tired of this series fellating him. Otherwise, semi-intense (albeit easy) battle, kinda neat how the Watchers are basically humanoid enemies despite that. Pretty generic boss, though.
9. Iudex Gundyr
- Kinda funny how "big knight dude" is the new Asylum Demon. Anyway, kinda neat starting boss -- its second phase is pretty intimidating and has the illusion of being unpredictable due to how strange and monsterous it is, but is actually quite predictable when you play patiently and keep an eye on what he's doing.
8. Vordt of the Boreal Valley
- Basically the same kind of deal as Iudex, but different. I kinda like bosses in the vein of Iudex and Vordt, where they're bosses with nonstandard designs and fighting styles that seem intimidating and unpredictable in all their bestial poise, but are quite easily felled by a clear mind and fluid action.
7. Old Demon King
- Improved, more interesting Demon Firesage. Feels like a Dark Souls 1 boss, but with a bit more difficulty behind him. Not bad, I kinda like his moxie.
6. Champion Gundyr
- Intimidating mother fucker who attacks forever -- not really too hard to overcome, but imposing thanks to how insanely aggressive he is. Points for leaving enough room to disengage and play defensively.

HIGH TIER:
5. Soul of Cinder
- Well-rounded, fun boss who is challenging, but reasonable.
4. Curse-rotted Greatwood
- Funky piece of work who pressures the player into a tactical "find the weakness" strategy while keeping them on their toes. Hell of a design on him, too.
3. Pontiff Sulyvahn
- Scary badass mother who never lets up. Second phase is crazy as all heck, he puts a metric ton of pressure down and basically never allows you to feel safe, but he never really feels like too much of a pain.
2. The Twin Princes
- Incredibly fluid battle that rewards an instinctive sense of timing. A lot of the bosses in this game as kind of designed around rolling and weaving through attacks, but at no point did any of them really have a preciseness to their patterns or ever really justified themselves like these guys do.
1. Aldrich, Devourer of Gods
- The child of Gwyndolin and Darklurker: non-stop magical barrage that challenges the player to find the best opportunity to move in at risk of being utterly ruined. He was basically designed to be a re-do of Gwyndolin from Dark Souls 1 with the same strengths and weaknesses, only challenging and fun. He was quite successful.

Misc notes:
- Honestly, a lot of people rag on Dark Souls 2 for being rather uncreative with its boss design, but Dark Souls 3 has the same problem in spades. Lots of bosses who are just obscenely aggressive and do nothing but spam combos forever, who are all countered the exact same way: by hugging their asses and rolling through or blocking all of their attacks, and striking them in between their combos. At least half the bosses have this kind of game plan, and only a few really get away with it. Really drags near the end of the game, which is why Dragonslayer Armor and Dancer go to the bottom of the list.
- Strength weapons (Ultra greatsword, greataxe, great club, etc) are strictly inferior to normal weapons here. I guess you could say the same for Dark Souls 2, but it's just way worse here. There are a couple of reasons for this: 1) bosses have some kind of weird DR where an attack from a strength weapon with say, double the AR of a straight sword will do less than double the damage, in a game where defense otherwise seems to work by way of subtraction against natural defense (which, in the case of our hypothetical, usually means more than 2x damage). 2) heavy weapons are, of course, slow -- bosses are much faster in this game, so you're risking having to trade blows with every swing. 3) heavy weapons have incredible stamina drain, and require a lot of stamina just to swing more than two times + rolling out. Some other mitigating factors also come in to make the deal worse. So like, it's basically a pain in the ass to get creative with which weapon one uses to deal with most of the bosses here. Points lost there.

When it comes to something as wide as an entire series of games, I dunno how my "top 10 bosses" list would look since it's probably constantly in flux. That said, Aldrich and the Princes will easily be on it. Dunno about Sulyvahn, but if he is there, then Curse-rotted Greatwood prolly would be too. Soul of Cinder absolutely isn't on there, though. If I brought it down to top 5, Aldrich is on there. Dunno if he's top 3, though.

Think the boss list here has some high highs and some low lows. Whichever bosses were effective were very effective, but whichever bosses sucked did it real hard. Most of the mid-tier bosses get stuck somewhere in the mass of other okay-ish mid-tier bosses in the other games.
« Last Edit: 22 May, 2016, 10:21:13 pm by Maniac » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: