Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 11:45:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

I guess since I'm here again, I'll make my own Now Playing topic!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I guess since I'm here again, I'll make my own Now Playing topic!  (Read 13664 times)
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #105 on: 07 March, 2016, 12:34:20 am »

i may or may not be trying to say that
Report Spam   Logged

Arnaham

I'm: Who?
Username: Arnaham
Mood: Busy

« Reply #106 on: 07 March, 2016, 12:37:17 am »

They got some mangaka who hasn't done anything I've heard of to write Fates. Apparently they really played it up in the Japanese advertising, so it's cool that the plot turned out so dumb and bad.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #107 on: 08 March, 2016, 11:41:17 pm »

so, my campus's wi-fi service restricts wi-fi on game consoles, so i've been unable to do online stuff in fire emblem fates up until now, where i've decided to go home for the day (to vote in the primary)

fighting dudes online and taking their skills after defeating them in their own customized castle is a ton of fun and I'm really enjoying myself. really need to get a router up to campus at some point so i can do this more often
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #108 on: 14 March, 2016, 12:28:11 pm »

Finished Conquest last night.

Like, I've slagged on that game's plot to death and how the entire idea was ill-fated from the start, but let's talk about Conquest as a game before I do that yet again one last time. It's actually pretty decent -- played it on hard mode, and it's balls hard. Prolly harder than its equivalent difficulty in Radiant Dawn, even. In deliberate defiance of how people characterized map design in Awakening, in which every map was a tedious outdoors, "kill the boss on THIS map, man!" kind of deal, every single chapter has some gimmick wholly unlike those of the others going for it, some of which are pretty creative and neat. Although the game was frustratingly difficult at quite a few points, it was overall kinda fun. Enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than Awakening, that's for sure.

Story was dogshit to the very last, though. Like, this campaign comes off as an extreme afterthought: The entire objective of the second half is the most hilariously round-about manner of solving the same damn problem, and it's done so incompetently that the person who wrote it should have slapped himself in the face. The egregious thing is that they had so much equipment to have made it interesting, what with the "step into the dark" marketing that made it sound like you would go full-on anti-hero. I mean, that could have actually been compelling, but nope, you're some wishy-washy goodie-two-shoes with the charisma of a librarian whose mental fortitude is as tough as a soggy paper towel, who spends the entire game being the whipping boy of the actual villains instead of standing against them right then and there. I mean, they actually have some plot twists where they're fucking negating some potentially interesting character subversions in favor of making them as bleedingly stereotypical as they could. Also, what I predicted earlier on in that spoiler post? I was a hundred percent right on the money. Honestly, nobody should expect a riveting epic out of a Fire Emblem game, even when it was at its best, but it took some damn effort to squander what little potential that was lying right there to come up with this. Everyone responsible should be ashamed, god.

Not in much of a hurry to touch Birthright. It's prolly less dumb plot-wise, but the fact that it's basically Fire Emblem: Awakening 2.0 in terms of gameplay doesn't attract me. I'll play some of it when I have absolutely nothing else to do, I guess.
« Last Edit: 14 March, 2016, 11:55:59 pm by Maniac » Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #109 on: 14 March, 2016, 01:49:58 pm »

this made me smile

I played on normal and classic mode and got fucking wrecked routinely. I'm admittedly pretty casual with the series/turn based strategy in general but it really broke me. Birthright was much less a pain, even if grinding wasn't a thing. I feel like it falls back on the "just have reinforcements as difficulty" thing that really drove me insane in Devil Survivor 2, although not to the same degree (I don't remember if it was a problem in Awakening since its been awhile since I've played that.) I found the story in Birthright to be kind mean at times actually which was surprising given how its been marketed as the right choice/the Awakening sequel from the start, but I also don't really play games for the story anymore so that was more of a "huh weird" thing than anything else.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #110 on: 17 March, 2016, 10:01:49 am »

well, i guess i lied and am well into birthright

main character seems much less lame here, in a complete 180. i guess you'd prolly have to be built pretty thin if you'd choose "omg i want to go back to my family" over "i will fight this evil madman who is ruining the world," but still.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #111 on: 19 March, 2016, 11:59:19 pm »

so maniac went to on his first day of his first con yesterday

and spent all of it playing reflec beat

like, most people come out of cons with tons of pictures of cool stuff and a lot of shit they bought? i came out with like, a fucking list of every song I played matched to their difficulty and the score i got.

i think i should be direly ashamed by this. but hey, reflec beat is a really fun game -- a lot easier to pick up, play, and make some progress than modern day beatmania IIDX
« Last Edit: 20 March, 2016, 12:01:45 am by Maniac » Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #112 on: 20 March, 2016, 12:42:49 am »

what did you cosplay as
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #113 on: 20 March, 2016, 01:15:22 am »

as an ugly long-haired metalhead with a leather jacket and ripped jeans

note: the first 8 I cleared happened to be:

i always knew the jakarta funk brothers were there for me
« Last Edit: 20 March, 2016, 01:31:58 am by Maniac » Report Spam   Logged

Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #114 on: 20 March, 2016, 04:07:33 pm »

look at me now, ma

EDIT: god damn shame the closest arcade with this kind of **** is like, 4 hours away. living in michigan blows.
« Last Edit: 20 March, 2016, 04:20:20 pm by Maniac » Report Spam   Logged

Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #115 on: 20 March, 2016, 11:37:00 pm »

ma and two of the other campaign folks played a one-off session of AD&D 2.0 ran by one of the DM's buddies. AD&D 2.0 is the edition Baldur's Gate ran under, and since Baldur's Gate is almost two decades old, it is antiquated as hell and it shows. It's less of a game of modifiers and number crunching as much as it is a less forgiving, yet more linear game of scoring under or over static thresholds corresponding to your base stats. Still has a lot of weird jank: notably, you roll your HP for your first level as opposed to getting a static amount corresponding to your hit dice: with negative con modifiers, it is possible to roll a character with 0 HP, as the first player who rolled their stats managed to do. It's also kind of rough since you're allocating stats based on 3d6 as opposed to picking the best 3 of 4d6, so the probability of getting below a 10, and thus having a less than 50% chance of succeeding any given roll, is pretty damn high. Feels really janky at low levels especially, where HP is so low that you can easily be killed in a single hit (the highest HP value in the party was six -- a single d6 has a chance of felling that lol), and a lot of character specializations are just utterly worthless for lack of skills or whatnot. Interesting session nonetheless, though.

and for the goofy shit because there's always goofy shit, i noticed how there were a ton of really stupid rogue proficiencies like juggling and tightrope walking and since this was a one-off campaign, i decided to play as an embittered clown rogue with like, 8 cha, so he's basically just a miserable wreck who can make nobody laugh. however, I rolled super well for charisma checks, so i managed to make this broken, emotionless and incredibly messed-up kid smile, so that was cute. think i'll keep the character sheet -- always down with saving fun character concepts.
« Last Edit: 20 March, 2016, 11:40:04 pm by Maniac » Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #116 on: 20 March, 2016, 11:43:00 pm »

a clown rogue sounds horrifying, but if you're making kids smile, you must be playing it pretty straight
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #117 on: 20 March, 2016, 11:46:35 pm »

one thing about character alignment in AD&D 2 is that neutrality implies balance rather than disinterest -- do actions that are both lawful and chaotic, good or evil in equal balance, which seems like a weird, inconsistent way to characterize someone. was kind of thinking chaotic neutral when making the character, but when the DM explained that, i went "screw that" and just decided to be good.

aside from that, though, my character is still kind of an embittered jerk since he's a total failure and all. it's just that he's good at heart under that.
« Last Edit: 20 March, 2016, 11:48:28 pm by Maniac » Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #118 on: 21 March, 2016, 08:42:29 am »

this is making me miss playing d&d
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #119 on: 24 March, 2016, 03:09:56 am »

http://kotaku.com/drama-ensues-as-fire-emblem-fates-fan-translation-gets-1766634100

lol

p.s. birthright sucks hard. like, honestly, I'm down with the idea of limitless grinding and stuff, but they even copied the tedious "rout/kill boss on map with inelegantly-sorted blobs of enemies and torrents of reinforcements that do nothing but stall you" horseshit from awakening. like, honestly, who thinks maps like these are fun? kinda wish they'd just do the whole meticulous level-crafting of conquest with the opportunity for grinding, kind of like a hypothetical version of sacred stones that's actually difficult lol
« Last Edit: 24 March, 2016, 03:14:24 am by Maniac » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: