Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 02:42:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

I guess since I'm here again, I'll make my own Now Playing topic!

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 ... 54   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I guess since I'm here again, I'll make my own Now Playing topic!  (Read 13788 times)
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #675 on: 07 March, 2018, 01:10:45 pm »

i now have a computer monitor, so i can resume playing p5

coming off of futaba's pretty enjoyable palace, okumura's palace was pretty obnoxious, especially the part where I have to fetch all of the security passes. those robots are pretty damn annoying because of their phys resistances, and my party is pretty much all physical damage at this point. so every time I got a new card, I'd walk back to the save room, and since you'd have to go even deeper with each card without any extra save rooms or shortcuts, having to do that for like, the third time was a bit much. didn't have much trouble with the airlock part, tho.

i've been told that okumura is one of the easier bosses in the game, but I had some trouble with him. namely just the robot hordes and my party set-up, where all but one of my party members couldn't do a thing to the tougher robots, and I couldn't really swap them out because my MC was the only person doing any damage. it's probably not that bad even then on normal mode, but hard mode lowers my damage and presumably buffs their HP enough that I couldn't make even until I outright restarted from the save room and changed my starting party composition. i got him in the next attempt, but not without some resistance from the big robot, who hits like a truck.

alsoalso i finally maxed the doctor's s-link and I'm now dating her because despite my character being like, 17, i'm probably closer to tae's age in real life than I am to any high school kid so making one of them my "waifu" seems even creepier
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #676 on: 08 March, 2018, 02:29:07 am »

Okumura was probably my least favorite boss in the entire game. Really felt like a missed opportunity. I also didn't like his palace, especially the airlocks. Cool music tho
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #677 on: 09 March, 2018, 11:54:07 am »

i just spent 500K so that I could summon alice at level 51
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #678 on: 11 March, 2018, 05:23:23 pm »

they put a lot of hype into the whole betrayal part and somehow it's nonsensically messy for no real artistic or dramatic merit. it really does feel like the product of a bunch of rewritten plot elements that were too deeply embedded into the final cut so they decided to paint over it real pretty-like to make it seem surprising and climactic

also just as a reminder: i knew goro was the traitor before the game even came out exclusively because, despite the wealth of information and appearances literally every other party member had gotten prior to release, he appeared in a grand total of two info dumps and had so little information distributed of him that you could have put everything we knew about him on a cocktail napkin. it's so obvious that I don't even know why they withheld the "oh yeah, he's totally the traitor, let's prepare a contingency" scenes until after the fact, and this is coming from the one guy who didn't suspect adachi was a bad guy until literally the last minute
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #679 on: 12 March, 2018, 01:34:58 pm »

i just spent 500K so that I could summon alice at level 51
worth it imo

also yeah that reveal was really obvious. I missed having Akechi in my party though, he was fun
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #680 on: 12 March, 2018, 05:49:02 pm »

only i used like, a level 48 buffbot persona and a level 53 dps persona instead of her for the last boss so
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #681 on: 14 March, 2018, 12:02:21 am »

my old dm randomly pulled me in for a new bi-weekly pathfinder adventure path run by the fighter from my original 3.5 campaign

we were basically chilling out in a tavern when a fucking army of hobgoblins attacked, so we went around murder hobo-ing hobgoblin raiders, helping people out and robbing their stores as payment on our way out of town. went pretty well for a while because our dm rolled trash and some of the other party members had some cute ideas that worked out pretty well.

however, we ended on a really fun encounter where we fought three mook-ass hobgoblins that were already pre-injured hunkered down in a shed, where a couple of our party members, both of whom had the lowest ACs of the party, just waded straight in. the hobgoblins were just sitting right on the chokepoint, allowing only two party members into melee range of any of them, allowing them to flank the one furthest in, and ensuring that anyone who couldn't get into melee had ranged combat penalties that more or less prevented us from ever hitting them. we had two players down by the time two of the hobgobs were dead, at which point the last remaining one started going apeshit and started rolling really good. of course, because my luck is notoriously awful, i failed an easy acrobatics check, got hit by him when he had like, a 20% chance of hitting me, missed him a bunch of times and got crit by the fucker, knocking me out and almost killing me outright. only our old gm actually hit any of them, and while he seems to have a build that's really good at least at this level and just got a pretty good weapon for his build, i'm 90% sure he was cheating, calling out dice rolls I didn't hear him make that sounded too good to be true. didn't wanna say that out loud because i sure as shit didn't want to die on the first meeting after rolling pretty good for my character. nobody died and we have a dedicated healer with channel energy so we were all back up by the end, but lol
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #682 on: 14 March, 2018, 08:13:40 pm »

i am extremely jealous, tabletop games/roleplaying is not an aspect of my life anymore and i desperately want it to be
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #683 on: 14 March, 2018, 10:03:08 pm »

if it's any consolation, the jade regent campaign is basically dead. we've passed the point where we're just going "sorry, can't fit it into my schedule" to "nobody has posted in the campaign discord in a month"
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #684 on: 17 March, 2018, 03:42:00 pm »

so, crypt of the necrodancer's narrative is divided across three characters: cadence, her mom, and her grandmother. cadence is the main girl, so she's the default character who doesn't have any boons or restrictions. her mom is stuck with one weapon forever and cannot get damage boosters, but it's a pretty good weapon. her grandmother is... uhh...

she gets resurrected once if she dies, but that means fuck all since she'll die if an enemy so much as looks at her the wrong way. she also does the stages in reverse, so she starts with the most bullshit mobs, minibosses and traps. so basically, you need to do a perfect run, which is balls hard, to see the last portion of the story.

lol no thanks

it took me one and a half years of irregularly plugging at this over a combined total of maybe 20-30 hours in-game, but i have finally completed the first stage of aria mode
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #685 on: 01 April, 2018, 01:04:06 pm »

and it took me another two weeks to finish it

so now i'm more or less done with crypt of the necrodancer until i buy the dlc/expansion pack
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #686 on: 03 April, 2018, 04:08:49 pm »

okay i'm done with shido's palace

lol goro's death was every bit as stupid as i thought it'd be

actually nonono, it's worse.

like, shido is a surprisingly terrible villain frankly. for as much as you see him scheming vicariously with his underlings, for the few cameos he has prior to the endgame, for all the heat he gets as the last act of game basically pins literally every bad thing that had ever happened to you short of meeting kamoshida on him... you don't even get to see his face until the end of the game. his schemes, his personality, his deeds, all of them are in the background until the very last second. the palace actually needs to tell you in the most ham-fisted fashion that no really, you should HATE this guy so that it could even be possible for the player to really feel anything about him, and even then it can't be bothered to say it while he's in the room. in general, of all of the human villains in the recent Persona games who came before the inevitable godlike being comes out to close the story, he's definitely below adachi and he's probably still below ikutsuki.

and in the end, goro, a character who heretofore has been present for like, 80% of the game, the character with probably the most interesting character relationship dynamics, the character who was probably written, at least originally, with the intention of being the one character everyone would remember after the game was over. not only does the game largely waste his potential, but his role culminates as a satellite around this fucking dweeb, a villain so empty that despite almost every awful thing that has more or less ever happened in this scenario originating from him, he's less capable of evoking revulsion than a lecherous high school coach. gg guys

(just an aside note, the game probably could have remedied this, and made this climax a lot more solid, if they didn't insist on joker being unable to recognize shido until the endgame. he doesn't even need to know what shido is doing or what he's responsible for, just get him in the narrative, find a reason why joker can't just go for him first and let shido actually appear in the SIU director cutaways. aside from the twist that, oh my god, that guy who the game basically all but says outright was the drunk shithead who got you your probation was the villain all along!!!!, i don't even think the narrative as written would implicate goro or reveal any other twists that matter if this was the case. it's not even that hard to write, but I guess maybe it is when most of your writers never went to college and learned how to write from watching anime)

(also speaking of disappointing things, it's pretty disappointing how shido's palace, despite being the most varied and interesting palace visually, is also one of the most boring and repetitive. it's not as bad as okumura's palace, but it's up there)
« Last Edit: 03 April, 2018, 04:10:23 pm by Maniac » Report Spam   Logged

Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #687 on: 05 April, 2018, 06:09:15 am »

persona 5 beat

managed to finish all of the social links. didn't even have a day to spare. didn't finish all of the requests, and sadly one of those requests had a special fusion persona locked behind it, so I don't get to have 100% compendium completion. settled at 98% after a lot of grinding and then kicked yaldaboath's shit in because i was fucking level 90 and had a decked out yoshitsune in my party. dude didn't even get to use his super move. it's kinda funny how the best persona from p4 is still the best persona in p5 lol.

real tl;dr ahead, sorry for being boring gfloyd/UF:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Persona 5 as a whole is better than Persona 4, but it's kinda hard for me to compare persona 5 as a whole against Persona 3. It's been almost 10 years since I originally played P3, and I mostly just have some kind of nostalgic fondness for that game rather than any lasting appreciation for it. However, I feel like most of the reason I could keep going with P5 was because it vicariously flared up that nostalgia, being the new thing from the series I was obsessed with a decade ago, so I'm not too warm on it either. But I'd probably tip it in favor for P3 insofar as it feels more "independent" of any prior release such that it could have a more traditional plot structure and more traditional character dynamics that worked out better than how P4 re-tooled its story and character progression into the existing gameplay systems from P3, and P5 followed P4's structure to the letter. P3 does have problems insofar as its length and calendar-based story progression spread its plot and character development too thin, but at least a coherent, generally functional plotline that is continuous from start to finish is there, and some characters actually grow up and change over time. That sounds like faint praise, but neither P4 or P5 really have either of those things.

Misc notes:
- I realized this in the middle of playing Persona 5 because it runs into the exact same problem, but Persona 4 made a real bad move when it decided that every party member should have a social link. Because there's this entirely optional sequence of events where you interact a character and reshape their opinions and beliefs, you have to limit how much that character can change in the main storyline because it would have to account for their s-link progression, which could run the gamut from zero to maxed. It also goes vice versa, where a character can only really shift by a few degrees in their s-link because otherwise a dramatic shift would have to be accounted for in the main story. So suddenly P4 has to scale back character development or characterization to a very small portion of the game, generally during the lead-up to a dungeon and throughout that dungeon, and beyond that point those characters are basically just sentient personalities mashing against each other or against whatever is going on in the scenario because the game weaved its story and its optional systems into a messy lattice that cannot allow for better characterization without potential inconsistencies. Granted, the personalities mashing against each other in P5 are far more attractive than in persona 4 (oh hey, Chie just punched Yosuke for no reason, oh wait no Yosuke's being homophobic again but Chie's angry about Trial of the Dragon, haha Kanji isn't heteronormative/straight, isn't that funny), but they're still ephemeral as hell and I will probably never think of any of the permanent party members ever again.

- Yaldaboath isn't a whole lot better than Izanami. They did realize that Izanami is a bit too obscure in the actual scenario for a character as important as she was and remedied that by giving Yaldaboath a prominent role, but like with Izanami, the game doesn't really dovetail into the endgame elegantly. Like with Izanami, Yaldaboath's role in the plot, while very lightly foreshadowed, is more or less just stapled onto the plot after the fact and it's conspicuous as hell.

- Some general heirarchies:
characters in general: 5 > 3 > 4
character dynamics: 3 > 5 > 4
plot: 3 > 4 > 5
gameplay: 5 > 4 > 3
soundtrack: 3 > 5 > 4
setting: 4 > 5 > 3
palace heirachy: kamoshida > futaba = sae > madarame = kaneshiro > memento depths/qliphoth > shido > okumura

- Futaba is really cute and I like her, she's probably the only character who I feel was written well. I like Morgana as a cat -- I love looking at him just peeking out of my backpack and sitting inside of the classroom desk and all that stuff, but I don't really like Morgana as a character. Otherwise I like zero party members or confidants. I pretty much picked Takemi as my girlfriend out of a hat, but then again, I was pretty much the same way with Yukiko in P4.

- I will brick the project director's house all the way from the United States if the P5 expansion doesn't utilize Goro better. Even if I wasn't mad that I didn't get to have my best boy because of bad writing, I'm too OCD to possibly accept that as the best they could have done with that character. I could have a blood-alcohol content level of .2 and do more with that character than Atlus did.

tl;dr:

- motherfucker where's my main man dan woren as the real igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so yeah, okay game that has some problems, looking forward to p5+ not resolving them in another 3 years i guess
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #688 on: 05 April, 2018, 09:23:14 am »

i enjoyed this read

- I realized this in the middle of playing Persona 5 because it runs into the exact same problem, but Persona 4 made a real bad move when it decided that every party member should have a social link. Because there's this entirely optional sequence of events where you interact a character and reshape their opinions and beliefs, you have to limit how much that character can change in the main storyline because it would have to account for their s-link progression, which could run the gamut from zero to maxed. It also goes vice versa, where a character can only really shift by a few degrees in their s-link because otherwise a dramatic shift would have to be accounted for in the main story.

ii agree and i think its a limitation of the social links as a whole but for a lot of people they are the main/only reason the play the game so i guess they're in a weird spot, obviously people would get pissed if they couldn't link with party members they like and i really have no practical solution for it but yet
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #689 on: 05 April, 2018, 07:37:40 pm »

they really do need to revamp social links in general. not this kind of half-assed "oh, we'll add unlockable mechanics to them, all of which should frankly just be there by default" thing that persona 5 did, something that actually alters their structure. it's a good concept, but it has grown really stale in its present incarnation and it's beginning to hold back the rest of the game.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 ... 54   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: