Ultimate Paradise
29 March, 2024, 04:51:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

random games

Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: random games  (Read 20045 times)
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1740 on: 08 November, 2020, 10:37:25 pm »

Rebuilding my PC has been a whirlwind affair.

Got a late start on it yesterday. Didn't have much trouble taking apart the old hardware. But then the new hardware posed some challenges. The CPU cooler was a pain to mount because of course it was. Then mounting the motherboard, there's a screw in the upper corner that is a big eff you if you don't have one of those magnetic screwdrivers, which I don't. Lost the screw trying to get it in there a few times, had to turn the whole case upside down and shake to get it out. Wound up solving the problem by using the tweezers from my model kit to place it in there.

The rest went smoothly enough. Got everything plugged in fine. Then I got everything set up, pressed the power button. Lighting on the motherboard comes on. All the fans are spinning including those on the GPU. But nothing showing up on the monitor. The DRAM light is on and there's an error code displayed.

So I go to the manual. What does the error code mean? "Reserved for future AMI SEC errors." Cool. Very helpful.

Did some Googling, sent some panicked messages to friends. 3 hours later I haven't been able to figure anything out. I tried the RAM in all sorts of configurations. Tried pulling the GPU out. I even reset the CMOS by popping the battery out and back in. Nothing.

Gave up and spent the rest of the night cleaning out my vault in Destiny.

Woke up today and gave a good hard look at my RAM packaging. I noticed there's an Intel symbol on it. I've got an AMD chip. Now this is not the problem. RAM is RAM and they all come with that symbol on the package. But it did get me to dig deeper. A friend pointed me to the support page for my motherboard, which has a list of qualified vendors and compatible RAM. The RAM I bought

is not on the list.

This is in spite of being the RAM that was linked to me by the friend who put together my parts list, and it was not flagged on PCPartPicker as having a compatibility issue. But it's not on the list, so I have ordered some RAM that is. Also maddening, after having trust issues with PCPP, I tried using both Amazon and Newegg's memory finders, but they won't even let me put my motherboard in there. I type it in and get no results. So I basically have no way to double check that the memory that is on its way will have any other result. I just have to plug it in when it gets here and hope it works.

Been a very boring weekend as a result of this. I almost broke down and bought Hades on Switch, but I resisted. If cross-save was live already, I probably would have done it.

Oh also, display port cables are a thing now I guess. My monitors only have HDMI and VGA ports on them, so I went to Staples today to grab a Display Port cable or adapter. They were selling a 6-foot cable for $50. The adapter was comparable. This felt like a scam, but I bought it anyway. Got home and checked Amazon. Top result is a cable for $13.

Fuck Staples. Fuck Jeff Bezos. Fuck capitalism.

I have to go to a UPS store to RMA my incompatible RAM, and that Staples has a UPS counter, so I inadvertently created a 2 birds, 1 stone situation for myself, but I'm still irritated.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: