Ultimate Paradise
19 March, 2024, 05:16:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

random games

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 ... 121   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: random games  (Read 19592 times)
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1455 on: 04 February, 2019, 11:08:05 am »

Watched a lot of Ultimate at Genesis 6 this weekend, and I came away from it wanting to get my Mega Man more in shape and also pick up Meta Knight more seriously. They each have different play styles and feel pretty unique, but it's more that they're characters I like, and seeing them played at a high level is cool.

Dark Samus is still my main. She's the character that I go to when I don't feel like anything is working if I just want to give myself a good chance. I actually breached 1 million GSP for the first time this weekend, though part of that is getting lucky with my matchups. The game that put me over was a guy whose preferred rules were all stages, items on, 1-stock. So, yeah.

I think it would be cool to get into Elite with Dark Samus -- though I don't know what the threshold for that is exactly -- and then try to follow up with secondaries.

In the interest of actually playing more Smash, I can say that the best way to hail me for a game is to @ me on Discord. Obviously the Switch doesn't show me online if it's just docked and powered off, but if I'm online on Discord, it means I'm around. Most people here should have me added already or be in the Lounge server, so holla at me.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1456 on: 04 February, 2019, 11:00:18 pm »

I am grinding AP in FFIX right now and I am starting to wonder if maybe I should not be grinding AP.
Report Spam   Logged

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1457 on: 05 February, 2019, 09:45:08 pm »

I am grinding AP in FFIX right now and I am starting to wonder if maybe I should not be grinding AP.
I stopped and I'm glad I did 'cause there were strong enemies where I was going as well as one of the friendly enemies.

Also Zidane has made the stunningly naive decision to just give in to Kuja's ransom demands and then not ask any questions about what he's being asked to do, so I'm over on the forgotten continent in some weird temple. Like there's no "The Forgotten Continent? What's that? What's the Gulug Stone? Why do you want it? What is the place we're going? Why isn't magic allowed?"

At least make the bad guy get irritated and threaten to kill your friends if you don't shut up.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1458 on: 07 February, 2019, 08:51:16 am »

Astroneer got its 1.0 release yesterday. It's a game I've been looking forward to for a while, ever since it went into early access like two years ago. It's a cute space exploration/survival game with what I would say is more emphasis on exploration than survival. You have an oxygen tank and a battery built into your backpack (all the UI elements are diegetic), but you can build lines of tethers out from your base that will keep feeding you air and power, so long as you're operating within safe distance of a line, you'll be ok. There are more planets with different biomes, so there are probably other survival elements to be introduced later, but I think it's a pretty gradual ramp.

The other big thing this game does is give you a deforming tool that you can use to dig and mine for resources, and you can also use it to reshape terrain. So far the excavation mode feels better to me than the reverse, but hopefully I'll get more used to it.

You can find evidence of other astroneers scattered around your landing site and even down in caves, so there's some light story telling, I think? Plus there's references on the steam page and in the trailer to something hidden in the core of the planet and some kind of ancient relic (which is a path a lot of these kinds of games seem to lean toward).

Anyway, it's my new game to chill with and I'm happy about it.

I also played more Breath of the Wild yesterday. Gerudo Town sure is a place. I feel like the "vai-only" thing they've got going on could have been really good somehow, but instead I'm left thinking it all could have been done better. From Vilia and getting the Gerudo outfit to Ashai's classes... Like, it feels as though the Gerudo are halfway there being strong and well-trained and also culturally rich (the town itself is gorgeous and maybe my favorite city so far). But then there's this aspect of like "Ah yes, we have to educate girls on how to go out and talk to men."

also some voe totally called me a boot monster
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1459 on: 08 February, 2019, 10:22:15 am »

The planets in Astroneer are not proc gen, which I think is a change from early access. That lends the verbs of the game a little more weight. I know, landing on this planet, that it has been crafted for me to explore. And while it's the same planet out of the box for every other player, it still ends up being my own based on how I choose to deform it. I leave permanent marks and scars across the planet's surface as I strip it of resources and expand my web of tethers.

There's an entire hillside next to my landing zone that I carved out and then repaved with the flattening function of my multitool. When you suck up resources, you can store soil in a canister on your backpack. The regolith is multicolored, pastel blues, greens, and purples. But when I reverse it and build up or use the flatten functions to replace soil, it comes out in a starchy grey. There's no undo button in this game. As my base grows, this parking lot of platforms, centrifuges, and other machinery will continue to grow. The blight of my presence will spread.

I wonder if I could flatten the entire planet. If I could riddle it with holes you could see from space. And what would be the consequences of such an undertaking?

Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1460 on: 08 February, 2019, 07:52:03 pm »

I wonder if I could flatten the entire planet. If I could riddle it with holes you could see from space. And what would be the consequences of such an undertaking?

hey i know nothing about this game but cool thoughts man
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1461 on: 08 February, 2019, 08:21:55 pm »

hey i know nothing about this game but cool thoughts man
Yeah I think it has flown under the radar for a lot of people, like small games are prone to doing.

In the interest of actually playing more Smash, I can say that the best way to hail me for a game is to @ me on Discord. Obviously the Switch doesn't show me online if it's just docked and powered off, but if I'm online on Discord, it means I'm around. Most people here should have me added already or be in the Lounge server, so holla at me.
Also going to bump this now that it's the weekend. I'm not going to be up late tonight but I should be around tomorrow and Sunday.
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1462 on: 08 February, 2019, 08:35:32 pm »

Got plans tomorrow night but I think Sunday I'm free.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Awesome
Mood: Devilish

« Reply #1463 on: 08 February, 2019, 11:25:45 pm »

Of course I have a dinner to go to on Sunday.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1464 on: 09 February, 2019, 12:34:15 am »

y'all act like neither of those days have an afternoon
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1465 on: 10 February, 2019, 10:14:08 am »

afternoons are a myth

i'm here today though other than going to go buy food for the next few weeks in a bit
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1466 on: 11 February, 2019, 09:51:34 am »

Had two very different Smash experiences this weekend. Played my brother on Friday night, who desperately needs to get a Gamecube controller adapter. He was using the JoyCons and apparently he has the thing where his left when repeatedly disconnects. He's also only got 24 characters unlocked. And he's pretty rusty, too. Got to try out a lot of the roster looking for characters I would lose with, though (Fox and Falco, apparently, after about a dozen games).

Then I played Floyd yesterday, and that was a wakeup call. For one thing, I misinterpreted it when he said he was going to play Plant and that he was "a bit green." I thought that meant out of practice, but it actually meant "growing strong and thriving." I need to get better at confirming kills (and not killing myself, apparently).

Evened out the weekend by going into quickplay and climbing a bit higher. I think I'm around 1.5 million GSP right now.

-

I've been playing Apex Legends here and there since it came out. It's my first BR game and I think I get why it's fun. The lack of downtime is a nice plus. If you lose, you're back to the lobby and queuing for the next drop. There's a lot of tactics and strategy to be had. I like the scouting aspect. The tension. Waiting for the right moment to strike. Choosing the wrong moment and getting your squad wiped.

The game also feels really good to play. Movement is fluid, the guns feel good, and each character is pretty fun to play as. I've been picking Lifeline more often than not (partly because I have kills on her and don't want my card to embarrass me when I pick other characters), but I want to learn some of the others like Bloodhound or Pathfinder.

Downloaded Origin to my PC (after avoiding it for a long time), so I've got Apex downloaded and also finally redeemed my code for Titanfall 2 that I got for cheap last year.

-

Didn't play too much Astroneer this weekend (not as much as I wanted to anyway), and I unfortunately lost about an hour of progress last night after a crash. There's no auto-save feature. Instead you have to return to your base and enter your shelter whenever you want to save. You should be doing this anyway as you venture out and return with more resources, but I was trying to stretch out an expedition last night and got a bit greedy, I guess.

I was exploring a mountain range, trying to see what I could see from the peaks and had run out of tethers just as I got to the summit. In the valley below, there was an abandoned rover, and I could just make out a medium wind generator. I wanted to run down and grab it but wasn't sure I could make it down and back without suffocating. I looked around some more and found a deposit of composite (the resource needed to make tethers). Something else I appreciate is that it actually takes longer to excavate rock than it does soil, and the sound and animation changes slightly, too.

When I made it down to the abandoned rover, I not only found the windmill but a medium solar array, too. It was as I was taking stock of the site and deciding how to proceed that the game came to a halt, so I'll have to make my way back there when I pick up next.

-

I climbed mountains in Breath of the Wild this weekend, too, but first I had to deal with the Yiga clan. I feel like I did their hideout the right way. I got caught once and died in the ensuing scuffle (those blademasters hit hard). When I reloaded, I equipped my sheikah stealth outfit and went to work. Most of the time I was moving through the shadows, taking out each guard one by one, I kept wondering "Why bananas?" Master Kohga was a pretty fun fight, too.

From his chamber, I climbed straight up into the highlands. I was better prepared for this trip than that first climb up Mount Lanayru so many months ago. In addition to my warm doublet, I also had Bozei's Snow Boots and a Ruby Circlet. With the Gerudo tower scanned, I looked at the map and decided to make a loop, traveling east from plateau to plateau before swinging back west.

It's pretty satisfying to just "nope" the ice enemies out of existence with a fire arrow or a flamesword. I still skirt around Lynels, though. I'm going to have to make a tour of dispatching them at some point down the line. I really regret not taking a picture of the big sword while I was up on the highest peak, too, but I at least found the rest of the statue and several shrines along the way.

I wouldn't say I deviated from expectations upon returning to Gerudo Town. After returning the helmet, I went with Riju to calm Naboris. I did make a point of wearing my Gerudo stuff to fight it, which meant I was running a defense potion. That fight was more fun than I remember the other two being, also.

I've got free reign of the desert now, and so far I've only gone out and destroyed the Molduga (killer music). I've got lots of sidequests to do before I leave this region, though the memory of a glowing mountain that I saw from the highlands haunts me.
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1467 on: 11 February, 2019, 11:49:18 am »

those were my first plant fights so i was green i didn't expect to take to its moveset so quickly WHOOPS
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1468 on: 14 February, 2019, 07:56:53 am »

afoiaef;aoiwefja;sd
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1469 on: 14 February, 2019, 07:59:33 am »

yeah I am so pumped for that. We don't deserve Team Cherry.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 ... 121   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: