Ultimate Paradise
19 March, 2024, 05:36:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

random games

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 ... 121   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: random games  (Read 19593 times)
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1530 on: 10 April, 2019, 11:25:33 pm »

All I had time to do tonight was track down some prayer beads I missed.

And then I decided to spend twenty minutes I didn't have fighting another headless. I feel like I'm getting better at the fight. But fuck that fight. And all of them seem to have shitty terrible arenas. I killed the one in the forest that gives you the sneaking sugar, which I don't even think is that helpful. Ugh. I know where two others are, and I'm assuming there's a fifth somewhere. If I manage to kill them all before I run out of confetti it'll be a miracle, though I'm assuming I'll be able to buy the stuff at some point.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:55:08 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1531 on: 11 April, 2019, 11:51:37 pm »

More FromSoft jokes. They just don't end.

Actual conversation I had with a friend this afternoon:

Diego, [11.04.19 17:56]
I'm still at the second ape encounter

Random, [11.04.19 17:56]
There’s a second-

Random, [11.04.19 17:56]
whoof

Diego, [11.04.19 17:57]
Wait

Diego, [11.04.19 17:57]
Is he optional??

Random, [11.04.19 17:58]
Do you mean just when the ape comes back to life?

Diego, [11.04.19 17:58]
yes

Ok

I was like

“dog do not tell me there are more monkeys”

“I don’t think I can deal with more monkeys”

Spoilers: There are more monkeys. Although I guess it's the same one. Not sure why I couldn't stab it with the Mortal Blade the first time? Miyazaki...

Anyway. Great example of one of those fights that looks terrible at first (how could it not be when the one ape seemed bad enough?), but once I died a few times and walked into the fight willing to observe, things crystalized. First, I'm doing more damage, and the ape probably has more health. It also seems to open itself more often to stun, which helps the first phase go quickly.

Then the mate arrives and this is a whole new puzzle. Even though it seemed like they were pressing me into a corner and bludgeoning me to death, I think what was actually happening is I was letting myself get cornered. They do have a way of taking turns with each other, partly to make the fight winnable, and also probably because they don't want them clipping through each other. Not in a game like this where the hitboxes are actually so fair.

So the fight I ended up putting together still wasn't very clean because I actually won on the attempt where I was experimenting, so I once again was at low health and had no healing, but I pulled it off. For one, waiting for the headless ape to do its terror AoE is the signal for the mate to come charging in, which I punished with the charged up flame cannon (only solid use I've actually found for that attack). That plus the burn does like a quarter of her health. I ran out of spirit emblems, so I had to finish her the old fashioned way and I'm not actually sure how I did it with the other ape swinging in every now and then. But with her out of the picture, it's back to a very manageable fight.

Now I've got all the Ninjutsu.

I did a few runs through Mibu but stopped myself fairly early on, and I'm glad I did. For one, I realized I probably don't actually want all of the prosthetic upgrades. With the money I got, I was able to buy the Terror gourd (will help with future Headless fights), plus the Gouging Top and the Okinaga Flame cannon (pretty rad, probably impractical). That opens me up to buy the flame shield (I'm like, so positive this is gonna be necessary, I haven't fought a fire boss yet and there's always a fire boss). But now I'm actually short on crafting materials, so I'd say I'm safe to press onward.

I have also found what I think is a better skill point farm. I've noticed more of those white ghost enemies popping up in places (I'm guessing it has to do with the day progressing and the sun going down), and there are two Nightjars immediately before the Hidden Forest idol. You can get a free deathblow on one and then quickly finish the other one for about 1200 exp total. Takes like thirty seconds. Rest, rinse, repeat. So I guess I'm gonna do that until I get all the skills that I want.

There's an item on a ledge above the double ape fight that I don't know how to get. That's kinda the only other loose end I can think of at the moment.

Should be poised to make good progress this weekend, in any case.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:55:37 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1532 on: 12 April, 2019, 08:24:09 am »

yeah I thought I was gonna cry when I had to fight two apes but it only took me a few tries whereas the initial fight took me days
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:55:59 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1533 on: 12 April, 2019, 07:26:23 pm »

"lone" shadow my ass

I'll deal with him later

the castle has gone to hell, as expected, though it's kinda fun watching the purple dudes swoop in and wreck everyone

I've gotten a couple of idols back online and keep ducking out to buy money

gonna deal with the ogre on the ground level before I actually put effort into the Vilehand fight

also I like how Isshin and Emma are just chillin' in their tower, like nothing is happening
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:56:15 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1534 on: 12 April, 2019, 11:03:31 pm »

Progress progress progressssss

Beat the ogre. Super easy even without the fire weakness.

Then it turns out Vilehand isn't so vile if you go in from the other direction so you can stealth kill his stunt double. He's still a poison-y bastard, but he's no different from any of the other purple cloaks.

And then up top, well. The roof of Ashina Castle sure is a great place for rad sword fights. I'm not sure what happens if you pick the other choice. I don't know if it's a false one like the earlier one with Kuro. But of course I sided with the boy. I'm wondering if there's gonna be more to Owl's heel turn. Him just showing up and deciding he wants immortality, too, feels a bit weak.

The fight is excellent, though. So many super narrow windows to get hits in, and then lots of posturing. And I like that he doesn't use perilous attacks, so there's no way to severely punish him. It's really just like fighting an older version of yourself.

I kept trying to figure out how to punish his Lloyd's talisman move. It's a great time to heal if you need it, but he has so much lag afterward it had to be a good time to strike. First wave I could dodge it and then swipe at him for a hit, but second phase I couldn't seem to do that without getting caught in the trap. Which, at a certain point, if you aren't worried about healing, then I guess you can just hit him. I did use the firecracker on him some, but I don't feel like that's what won me the fight. I always feel like I trade damage when I use it too, which isn't great.

I was pretty surprised there were only two phases. I thought for sure he would have another trick up his sleeve. Maybe he'll still manage to show up later.

I was high off that win, so I decided to go pick some more fights, and I've now killed all the Headless that I know of. The only one I'm missing is Yashariku. Also, it turns out the water one is the easiest. It doesn't have an aura and you move really fast in the water. Go figure.

Um, what else. Oh I have the Shadow Rush now, which is nice. It's even decent in the Owl fight if you can react fast enough to him retreating. So then Isshin gave me the Mushin skill tree, which I can't unlock anything in yet.

The Anti-Air Deathblow scroll showed up in the box next to Hanbei, so I guess I missed Blackhat? I feel like I was pretty thorough around the Castle but I didn't see him anywhere.

With my affairs pretty much in order, I went ahead to the wedding cave, and a giant strawman came and carried me off to heaven. Oh that was the other thing, there was a scroll in Isshin's tower that mentioned a black sword that could open the path to hell, and I'm about to raid heaven for some mystical powers, so I can only imagine where this is going.

True Monk was a nice breather after Owl. Killed me once 'cause I got greedy. Didn't give her the chance on the next go.

The achievement popped to tell me I've been to every area in the game now, which I believe. I daresay this isn't where the journey ends, though.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:56:46 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1535 on: 15 April, 2019, 08:59:59 am »

Played a very small amount last night.

Found a miniboss I missed down at the serpent shrine. Masanaga was pretty tough since he buffs himself with Ako and I've always kinda scraped by in fights with these dudes. I realized on the third try that I could sneak around get a stealth blow on him, though, and when I actually beat him on the fourth try, I didn't take a hit.

I feel like I've hit a dead end with the Divine Child. I've given her all the persimmons I can find but she won't give me more rice. Think I might have missed something or gone somewhere too soon.

Dipped my toes into the Fountainhead Palace. First building seems navigable, but when I tried to go swimming, someone shot lightning at me from across the pond. Backed out to go buy a bulging coin purse.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:57:06 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1536 on: 15 April, 2019, 10:49:29 pm »

so the fountainhead palace kind of sucks, or the first part anyway

I'm up to the third idol (second really 'cause the monk one is right after the first) and I'm now playing Metal Gear Sekiro because this area basically has enforced stealth

if the Mibu Nobles see you, they inflict this game's version of curse on you, except its much worse than curse ever was. You become Enfeebled if they fill your meter, and it fills very quickly, which robs you of all but 10% of your health, cripples your movement, and prevents you from resurrecting.

This happened to me after I had mainly cleared a large area and only because I missed a single noble who saw me while I was fighting two other enemies.

And then the game stopped reading my controller. I was frustrated enough that I haven't checked to see if reopening the game would fix that particular issue, but this is gonna be pretty lame if I have to carry on to the end using mouse and keyboard.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:57:26 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1537 on: 16 April, 2019, 12:05:34 am »

think I've set up a bad ending (or at least one I have a bad feeling about it) but it seems like I might have a choice

(also restarting the game did fix my controller. gonna take my revenge on these mibu bastards tomorrow)
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:57:37 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1538 on: 16 April, 2019, 09:25:38 pm »

I guess it's time to buy that fighter's pass
Report Spam   Logged

Z911
Your Pal
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Awesome
Mood: Devilish

« Reply #1539 on: 16 April, 2019, 09:34:10 pm »

yup.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1540 on: 16 April, 2019, 11:56:27 pm »

sekiro spoilers here

Floyd were you stuck on the first Owl fight or the second one? Because man, the second one is a doozy. If it wasn't so late already I'd probably press on, but I only just got to his second phase on my fourth or fifth attempt and I'm running low on analytical energy to figure out what to do about it.

I'm glad I've continued to check back on the hubs after clearing areas because I might have missed this whole second memory thing otherwise. But it bothered me that I didn't know where Emma was and Kuro's dialogue had hit a dead end. I found her, probably later than I should have, so now we're trying to make it out of all this alive.

Also I did go back and cut down every last one of those nobles in the manor, and then I went around back and killed the bull for good measure. After that idol, I went back and started talking to Emma about stuff.

The flavor text on my 8th prayer necklace actually warned me about the purple coat whose power is dogs. That was a terrible fight until I realized I could interrupt his whistle.

And then I feel like Miyazaki knows that Juzou is a wall until he isn't a wall, so he makes you fight him again except he has a poison purple coat lackey. I'm not sure how you beat that fight without kiting them out into the water like I did. They don't want to go that far, so they end up backing up a lot, and Juzou leashes first. He's still pretty manageable once you're in a one v one.

The real fight with Owl is after that, and it makes sense that he would be stronger in the past. His openings are still there, but he's so much faster, and his combos go on longer. He actually does use perilous attacks here, except I'm not sure how to get a divekick on him based on how he moves during his sweep attack. I may have to learn exactly where he goes and angle toward him rather than holding forward like usual. You can Mikiri his shadow rush, too, though the timing is a little tricky. It just takes a ton of focus to maintain the level needed to not use all my healing up in the first phase. I'll have to keep practicing that and then work on the second phase tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:57:55 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1541 on: 17 April, 2019, 05:33:40 am »

sekiro spoilers here

Floyd were you stuck on the first Owl fight or the second one? Because man, the second one is a doozy. If it wasn't so late already I'd probably press on, but I only just got to his second phase on my fourth or fifth attempt and I'm running low on analytical energy to figure out what to do about it.

I'm glad I've continued to check back on the hubs after clearing areas because I might have missed this whole second memory thing otherwise. But it bothered me that I didn't know where Emma was and Kuro's dialogue had hit a dead end. I found her, probably later than I should have, so now we're trying to make it out of all this alive.

Also I did go back and cut down every last one of those nobles in the manor, and then I went around back and killed the bull for good measure. After that idol, I went back and started talking to Emma about stuff.

The flavor text on my 8th prayer necklace actually warned me about the purple coat whose power is dogs. That was a terrible fight until I realized I could interrupt his whistle.

And then I feel like Miyazaki knows that Juzou is a wall until he isn't a wall, so he makes you fight him again except he has a poison purple coat lackey. I'm not sure how you beat that fight without kiting them out into the water like I did. They don't want to go that far, so they end up backing up a lot, and Juzou leashes first. He's still pretty manageable once you're in a one v one.

The real fight with Owl is after that, and it makes sense that he would be stronger in the past. His openings are still there, but he's so much faster, and his combos go on longer. He actually does use perilous attacks here, except I'm not sure how to get a divekick on him based on how he moves during his sweep attack. I may have to learn exactly where he goes and angle toward him rather than holding forward like usual. You can Mikiri his shadow rush, too, though the timing is a little tricky. It just takes a ton of focus to maintain the level needed to not use all my healing up in the first phase. I'll have to keep practicing that and then work on the second phase tomorrow.

First one. I don't intend to do the second one since I think he's only required in one ending.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:58:12 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1542 on: 17 April, 2019, 11:38:09 pm »

A clear head helped me get through that fight. His moveset actually becomes slightly more restricted in the second phase, so figuring out what he's going to do is a little easier. Just have to stay focused on him.

I'll be surprised, after that, if there's anything that gives me more trouble.

Pushed a little farther into the Fountainhead Palace. Sabimaru absolutely wrecks all the enemies in that area. I think I've killed the guy who was preventing me from swimming in the big area, too, so tomorrow night I'll go diving for whatever lurks down there.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:58:21 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1543 on: 18 April, 2019, 11:12:19 pm »

got the tears

everything is on fire now

we'll see if I can finish this tomorrow

not sure which of the lazulite prosthetics I want but I'm leaning toward shurikens. Need more fulminated mercury to get the max raven feathers first, though
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:58:30 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1544 on: 19 April, 2019, 10:28:38 pm »

Demon of Hatred feels like a Souls boss fight, but not like a Sekiro boss fight. I don't know that it ranks very high for me, which is a little disappointing because I feel it should. I also feel like I won by getting some good patterns, but also just by scraping by. I used all my gourd, all my pellets, most of my rice, and the divine grass that I was carrying. I'll be interested to see other strats for this fight, but I won mostly by holding down the sprint button and saving my Malcontent for the final phase.

I'm trying to get as many carp scales out of the big fish before I feed it the extra special bait as I can, but I'm not sure how long I have to wait before the servant will actually give me more. I still have 4 bait to give.

I also find myself at 3/4 prayer beads after going through the Outskirts and re-exploring Ashina Castle (again). I don't actually think I need more health at this point? It just annoys me that I've missed one... somewhere.

I stand poised at the secret passage gate, ready to go back out to that field again. I don't know if I can come back once I cross that threshold.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:58:40 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 ... 121   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: