Ultimate Paradise
18 April, 2024, 03:04:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

random games

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 ... 121   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: random games  (Read 21542 times)
Maniac
Holy Ruler

I'm: I'm I'm I'm I'm I'm
Username: Maniac
Mood: evilspacehopper

« Reply #510 on: 10 May, 2016, 01:57:39 pm »

lol

i did get into an argument that trailed into a vicious rant about how terrible that boss is and how much i hate him that was instigated by a friend somehow thinking that nameless king wasn't as hard as king of storms, though
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #511 on: 10 May, 2016, 08:31:21 pm »

Yatta.

I too reached that point of metaphysical despair where I began to wonder if it was even within me to defeat him. It was an especially painful moment because I wanted so badly to call this my favorite boss, but I knew I couldn't do that unless I beat him. But then I had a really good run and something clicked, and I knew what to do.

I ended up taking a much more passive approach to the fight, keeping a mid-range distance and strafing or backpedaling. I wanted to bait out two of his attacks specifically, the one where he rushes off to the left and charges in, and the one where he pulls back into the air and also charges in (an attack Logarius taught me to dodge). Everything else I just dodged away. Then when he came to the second phase, I'd also wait for him to do the lightning strike attack and get in two hits that way. Basically by never approaching and waiting for attacks I knew I could dodge, I was able to chip away at him with few incidents, though I had one close call where he threw in an unexpected mixup.

So with that I am officially done with my first playthrough. It took me 48 hours and 37 minutes to get to this point, and I got to level 97, which I can appreciate is pretty high. I almost made the mistake of saying I didn't do any grinding, but that's not true because of the times I stopped and did co-op with strangers, which was pretty much anytime I really liked a boss. Tried that once with the Nameless King and then realized that is not a fight you want to do with randos.

But yeah, I stand by what I said. Really good game. I'm like Youef in that I expected to come out of it still liking Bloodborne more, but I'm not sure now. I think this probably isn't as good as the first game, but I also think I might have enjoyed playing this one more. It'll probably take some time for my feelings to really crystallize.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #512 on: 10 May, 2016, 09:59:56 pm »

Basically, Souls has consistently had this one weakness where human-shaped knight enemies always have a charge attack for when you get some distance on them that leaves them open and is super easy to predict and dodge. For all the rumbling of how hard False King and Artorias were, that was their respective weaknesses. And then Dark Souls 2 happened and like every boss was human-shaped and most had that weakness, and some bosses were virtually impossible to safely approach with slower weapons without that strategy like Sir Alonne. I think Dark Souls 3 actually did an admirable job of avoiding it where no humanoid boss really is much easier to deal with if you keep at a distance and wait for them to attack you at a range (well, Sulyvahn's second half was, but for entirely different reasons), but Nameless King had that weakness in spades. Doesn't help he's an insurmountable pain in the ass to deal with using any other strategy, too.

Really lame way to deal with a boss, honestly, especially when it's the ultra-hype bonus superboss of the game. He's probably not Ancient Dragon levels of awful, but I still think he's really lame.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #513 on: 10 May, 2016, 10:15:21 pm »

Basically, Souls has consistently had this one weakness where human-shaped knight enemies always have a charge attack for when you get some distance on them that leaves them open and is super easy to predict and dodge. For all the rumbling of how hard False King and Artorias were, that was their respective weaknesses. And then Dark Souls 2 happened and like every boss was human-shaped and most had that weakness, and some bosses were virtually impossible to safely approach with slower weapons without that strategy like Sir Alonne. I think Dark Souls 3 actually did an admirable job of avoiding it where no humanoid boss really is much easier to deal with if you keep at a distance and wait for them to attack you at a range (well, Sulyvahn's second half was, but for entirely different reasons), but Nameless King had that weakness in spades. Doesn't help he's an insurmountable pain in the ass to deal with using any other strategy, too.

Really lame way to deal with a boss, honestly, especially when it's the ultra-hype bonus superboss of the game. He's probably not Ancient Dragon levels of awful, but I still think he's really lame.

I will concede that I did not feel very cool beating him the way I did, and given time that probably does knock him down a few spots. But my appreciation goes beyond that because he looks badass, fights like a badass, has probably the best setpiece for an arena in the series (and this is a game and a series with some fantastic setpieces), and to top it all off I got Ornstein's stuff for winning, which ties him to another of my favorite characters. So it's the overall mystique that really does it for me.
Report Spam   Logged

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #514 on: 11 May, 2016, 09:30:06 am »

I too reached that point of metaphysical despair where I began to wonder if it was even within me to defeat him. It was an especially painful moment because I wanted so badly to call this my favorite boss, but I knew I couldn't do that unless I beat him. But then I had a really good run and something clicked, and I knew what to do.

This was me too. I had lots of trouble with most of the bosses this time around but I was almost convinced this one would break me. My brother at one point had watched me play it for a long time and asked if it wad the final boss, which didn't help me confidence. But yeah, I loved this guy, behind only Ludwig and Kalameet for me.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #515 on: 11 May, 2016, 09:49:55 am »

I wish I had kept better track of how many attempts I made. It was just such a contrast for this guy compared to a fight like the Pontiff or the Dancer because of how little I would even get to damage him on a failed attempt. I think it was a lot like the Kalameet fight in that regard.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #516 on: 11 May, 2016, 09:57:57 am »

As far as what's next for me, I need to pick up Uncharted 4 at some point this week. I want to take my time with that given it's the last in the series and Naughty Dog games only come around once every several years. Gonna see if I can stretch it out over 3 or 4 days at least.

After that, I don't really have any solid commitments. I figure a mix of MGSV, Destiny, and DSIII should be healthy for the near future. XCOM 2 DLC comes out tomorrow but I don't think I'm ready to jump back into that just yet.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #517 on: 11 May, 2016, 01:03:50 pm »

I've been watching Only Afro's LP of DSIII as it goes up. It's as interesting to see the parts where experience saves his life as it is amusing to see the moments where ego gets him killed. Granted he started Deprived and was playing the japanese version, so there's more to it. The frequent JoJo references also add to the entertainment value.
« Last Edit: 11 May, 2016, 01:05:52 pm by randomguy44 » Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #518 on: 11 May, 2016, 03:30:19 pm »

His Bloodborne run was also really good.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #519 on: 11 May, 2016, 03:51:33 pm »

couldn't sit through it to be honest -- afro is clever and witty in premeditated affairs, but there's a lot of empty air when he's talking.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #520 on: 11 May, 2016, 04:14:59 pm »

his personality is an interesting one, certainly

part of me wishes he constantly put his voice through the giant dad filter though
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #521 on: 13 May, 2016, 04:47:20 pm »

Uncharted 4 get, but I'm going to see Buckethead tonight so I probably won't start it until tomorrow.
Report Spam   Logged

Scourge the Hedgehog
Intergalactic Renegade
Semi-epic Post Whore

Username: Masterman
Mood: Yandere

Yes.

« Reply #522 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:28:47 pm »

Naughty Dog just effectively **** on everybody's couch and banged all of their wives with this game tbh

Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #523 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:39:59 pm »

I think I might wait for a price drop on UC4. I enjoyed 2 and 3, but I didn't play them more than once. Same with TLoU, actually.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac
Holy Ruler

« Reply #524 on: 14 May, 2016, 10:03:57 pm »

i played like, 3 hours of the first game, hated it, noticed that the second game still had a lot of what i hated about the first and just wrote off everything naughty dog ever produced from there onward
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 ... 121   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: