Ultimate Paradise
19 March, 2024, 01:59:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

random games

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 ... 121   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: random games  (Read 19584 times)
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1485 on: 24 March, 2019, 08:24:26 am »

The shinobi hunter in the first memory repeatedly made a fool out of me, but I finally took him down. Also I don't know if this memory thing is the first thing I should be doing because I still haven't fought a boss yet. Two of the prosthetic tools were here, so that seems worthwhile. Need to see where it leads me anyway.

also dragonrot seems bad but I'm gonna keep dying so I'm just not gonna worry about that for now

Anyone with a spear has **** me up every time, even with the skill that lets you parry their thrust. I guess its because I'm still not deflecting mch and relying more on stealth and prosthetics and stuff.

Yeah I hate seeing the sculptor cough but so far its not destroyed my playthrough.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:42:39 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1486 on: 24 March, 2019, 10:29:29 am »

The shinobi hunter in the first memory repeatedly made a fool out of me, but I finally took him down. Also I don't know if this memory thing is the first thing I should be doing because I still haven't fought a boss yet. Two of the prosthetic tools were here, so that seems worthwhile. Need to see where it leads me anyway.

also dragonrot seems bad but I'm gonna keep dying so I'm just not gonna worry about that for now

Anyone with a spear has **** me up every time, even with the skill that lets you parry their thrust. I guess its because I'm still not deflecting mch and relying more on stealth and prosthetics and stuff.

Yeah I hate seeing the sculptor cough but so far its not destroyed my playthrough.
the Mikiri helped a lot, but then he would get me with the sweep. I'm still building the muscles for the rock/paper/scissors of unblockables
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:43:07 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1487 on: 24 March, 2019, 02:18:11 pm »

I'm wondering if I should actually update my definition of what a boss is. Maybe in this game it's just any named enemy? I just haven't had the experience of walking into an arena and having a one on one fight yet, so I dunno.

Currently bashing my head against Juzou.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:43:20 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1488 on: 24 March, 2019, 02:39:49 pm »

It seems like the consensus with this game is a boss is what gives you a memory, a miniboss is what gives you a prayer bead. Bosses also have a black ink mark over their names.

I'm wondering if I should actually update my definition of what a boss is. Maybe in this game it's just any named enemy? I just haven't had the experience of walking into an arena and having a one on one fight yet, so I dunno.

Currently bashing my head against Juzou.

I fought him a little later thankfully, I think after my first health/posture update. There's a few minibosses that absolutely demolished me though.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:43:53 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1489 on: 24 March, 2019, 03:30:13 pm »

In that case maybe I should come back to this place later. I didn't feel like I got very far into the Outskirts at all.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1490 on: 24 March, 2019, 11:54:42 pm »

Went back to the Ashina Outskirts. Got a sample of the merchant's blood which has let me cease the coughing (for now).

Took me several tries to kill the ogre, which took me realizing that some grabs are also sweeps? I don't know how many times I tried dodging to the side before I realized that.

I had a few good attempts at the next miniboss, too, who seems like the culmination of the parrying tutorial. I'd keep going until he was dead if it wasn't so late on a work night. Once I beat him I'll have 4 beads, so that's exciting.

The good news is that after a whole weekend I haven't noticed any irregularity with the game performing on my computer.

i have somehow played seven hours without fighting a boss, though, but I think it is highly typical for me to have very slow progress when I start out on one of these games. That's how it went with Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, and now this.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:44:14 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1491 on: 25 March, 2019, 07:51:25 am »

There seems to be a lot fewer bosses in this than in other FromSoft games. I've only fought three so far.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1492 on: 25 March, 2019, 08:45:47 am »

That's not wholly surprising considering the emphasis on minibosses and the fact that they're tied to physical upgrades. Too early for me to say if that's disappointing. If the minibosses ever get samey or repetitive, that might be a knock. I'm pretty taken as is, though.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1493 on: 25 March, 2019, 11:55:52 pm »

Yoooooo so I made headway tonight.

I beat that general I was on last night on the first try tonight. He's got some solid openings to just wail on him, which is something I don't think I've been doing enough. Actually attacking. Trying to do all defense isn't going to break anyone's posture.

After that uuuuuuuuuuh the snaaaaake? Dang. That part was tense. It got me the first time, but then I almost got through unscathed the second time. I'm guessing it one shots you if you don't have a health upgrade by that point.

And then I got through the next area and made it to the first place that I was like "oh ok, so this is a boss." And it was that horse guy from one of the early trailers. And I owned him. Downed him the second try because I got sloppy on the first one, but this was one of those fights where it really pays to have read item descriptions. I knew as soon as he rode up that I just needed to abuse the firecracker and it would probably be simple. That plus I was glad I had the attack out of grapple skill. Those things seem to trivialize that fight.

After that I met the Tengu of Ashina castle, and I really didn't want to fight him so I told him I would kill some "rats." This seems to have paid off in the short term 'cause he gave me a skill scroll for doing that. Also found a free prayer bead in the attic of that place.

I probably should have stopped there, but I had to poke my head into the next area to see what was up. What was up killed me, with its giant flaming horns. So I'll have to figure out what to do about that tomorrow.

Wondering if I could take down Juzou now.

Also I'm guessing there's no reason not to use the memories for attack power upgrades? Or should I have saved that like I would a boss soul?

In conclusion: Yoooooooooo
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:45:23 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1494 on: 26 March, 2019, 05:42:38 am »

So far I haven't encountered any reason to not use the memories.

I used the same technique on the horse boss and loved it. It was so much fun grappling into him and attacking in mid air.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:45:33 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1495 on: 26 March, 2019, 01:38:41 pm »

Took a few tilts at the bull on my lunch break. No progress. None of the stuff I've learned feels like it applies to this fight other than fire cracker, but that doesn't even feel very effective. Deflecting barely does posture damage and is hard to sustain. Jumping and kicking does nothing but put me in the dirt. I got it to half health just by dodging constantly and getting some swipes in, but that feels wrong.

Need to puzzle over it more tonight. I feel like I'm missing something.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:45:58 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1496 on: 26 March, 2019, 06:57:06 pm »

Killed it. I finally realized that I wasn't doing posture damage unless I hit it in the face, so I just kept my spacing such that I could hit it with a thrust when it would stop in front of me.

And then I got a perfect mikiri counter and parry on the two dudes who rushed out afterward.

Damn this game feels good.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:46:13 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1497 on: 26 March, 2019, 10:18:48 pm »

god I wanna read this shit so bad
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1498 on: 27 March, 2019, 12:16:49 am »

youef you gotta get this game

ok, so

After the bull, I took a left at the bridge and wound up on another bridge that I realized was from the prologue area. I got a key to a shed that would give me the horse boss's weapon, which sounded cool, so I went ahead to investigate. That put me back in the area with the tower where Kuro was being held at the start, and who is guarding the tower? Well, a bunch of dudes, first of all, but also Yamauchi of the Seven Ashina Spears. That dude hits really hard.

I didn't like the idea of killing all those dudes just for a rematch with him, so I did some more poking around and realized what I wanted was actually in a different building entirely. So I picked that up and then went back to the very start of the game where I was originally being held, and there's some guy there talking about hearing music, and in the well itself a Lone Shadow Longswordsman. This guy exemplifies one thing I really like about this game, which is there is a small level of selective difficulty. The case here is that you can get an easy plunging deathblow on this guy to take away one of his health bars. He still took me a lot of tries mostly because managing the camera in that enclosed space is a huge drag, which made it hard to learn his moveset. But I recognized that he was jumping around and trying to be all nimble, so I used the shuriken on him and hit him with the follow up a bunch. I felt like he gave me a good pattern on the time I beat him, though.

Beyond that guy is the Abandoned Dungeon, and there's some dude right there whose got purple fire all around him. I'm not really at the point where I want to fuck with magic people, so I skirted the edge of the cave to see what was on the other side (Another great thing about this game is that you can go around a good number of people if you're sneaky). There's the guy who's having auditory hallucinations again and an old lady that wants me to jump into an abyss. I told her I'd come back later 'cause I don't want to jump down somewhere that I can't get back up from.

Mostly because I still wanted another go at that Spear guy. I had an idea.

It was a good idea. I found a path along the border of the area where I only had to kill three dudes per runback to get to the boss. And the extra good thing about this is that it put me behind him for a free deathblow to start the fight.

He still kicked my ass a whole lot because I can do Mikiri counters, but the rest of his bullshit was wrecking me. I had gone back to get the spear prosthetic, and that was kind of doing some good, but not enough really. My computer crashed at one point mid fight because it overheated??? Probably something I need to be aware of moving forward. But then when I loaded up again, I was right behind the boss, so it was like a soft reset almost. And that's when I got him. This fight taught me the valuable lesson that sometimes you can dive kick sweeps that don't have the scary symbol, namely this dude's super armor windup attack. Everything fell into place after that. Almost. I got to the end of his posture bar and almost flubbed my button inputs, which turned into me executing an Ichimonji on him to put him over the edge, followed by a completely unnecessary vault over, followed by the deathblow.

In summary, he can take his seven Ashina spears and shove them up his ass.

So that gave me another health/posture upgrade. I'm now on the doorstep of Ashina castle, which is rather imposing. But I think tomorrow I will go pay Juzou a visit.
« Last Edit: 24 April, 2019, 10:46:49 am by Random » Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1499 on: 27 March, 2019, 10:08:38 am »

I got to the first miniboss last weekend, but I've had literally zero time to play. Hopefully life will clear up after this Friday.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 ... 121   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: