Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 06:45:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

random games

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 ... 121   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: random games  (Read 19879 times)
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1650 on: 02 January, 2020, 09:12:16 am »

Been a minute since I posted in here.

I'm in the process of writing up some takeaways from every game I played in 2019, which is only like 20 games? But I was having trouble concentrating over my break and kinda just let myself relax as the days went by. I want to get that written up while it's still in the window of time that it would be interesting to post, so hopefully I can knuckle down on it in the next few days.

Some quick hits:

I was prioritizing Death Stranding over most of my holiday, but I'm now at a point where I worry the end of the game could be coming soon, and I have heard that involves two hours of cutscenes, so I've been in situations lately where I didn't want to risk playing for fear of being kept up too late or something. If I can finish it this weekend, that would be cool.

I went back and finished Control. Turns out I stopped very close to the end, and also, that game just kinda ends. Interested to see where the story goes with the DLC.

I've been playing a lot of Shovel Knight over the past week. I had it on PC since forever ago, but I finally did what I should have done ages ago and grabbed the Treasure Trove on Switch. It is one of those games that is ideally suited for that platform. I beat Shovel of Hope, which was fun. Then I did Plague of Shadows, which I really wanted to like. The characters and story are fun in that one, but the gameplay had me pulling my hair out a few too many times after throwing myself into pits. Specter of Torment is already way more fun from a gameplay perspective (scythe-grinding!), and the story is also neat, but I kinda miss the SMB3-style world map.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1651 on: 02 January, 2020, 03:59:12 pm »

which is only like 20 games
that is like 2x the number of games I played this year lol
Report Spam   Logged
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1652 on: 02 January, 2020, 05:39:44 pm »

I haven't played Shovel Knight since it came out, should probably get the Switch version. I really adored it when I played. My friend has told me the King Knight mode is apparently awesome.
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1653 on: 02 January, 2020, 10:34:16 pm »

which is only like 20 games
that is like 2x the number of games I played this year lol
it is every game and some of them I didn't play for very long

I haven't played Shovel Knight since it came out, should probably get the Switch version. I really adored it when I played. My friend has told me the King Knight mode is apparently awesome.
I've also heard good things about King Knight. Should be able to get into it some this weekend.
Report Spam   Logged

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1654 on: 04 January, 2020, 12:08:01 pm »

Beat Specter Knight. Toughest Enchantress fight of any of the campaigns I've played yet, but I'll chalk it up to me being bad. If you play this one, don't do what I did: Just get the Rail Mail as soon as possible. It makes everything more fun.

I've played three levels of King Knight so far and it's already wonderful, and I haven't even gotten to play the card game yet.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1655 on: 05 January, 2020, 01:48:40 am »

The computers cheat at this effing card game. I'm a pauper because I keep having to buy my cards back after they're taken. Finally managed to beat that blasted Trouple Acolyte after a dozen games.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1656 on: 06 January, 2020, 08:38:25 am »

I have beaten the strand game.

I really enjoyed playing the game. I logged 103 hours and something like 250 deliveries. Final Porter rank of 299, "Skilled Deliverer."

I feel, as of now, basically indifferent to the story. This is one of Kojima's most indulgent games, for better and for worse. I'm struck, thinking back over it, by how none of the Americas depicted in the game actually exist. I wonder what, beyond a childhood influenced by soft power, keeps drawing Kojima back to this country for his stories.

So that's that.
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1657 on: 06 January, 2020, 01:31:05 pm »

escape from new york is a hell of a drug
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1658 on: 06 January, 2020, 09:11:11 pm »

I truly believe that Kojima is basically a reverse weeaboo.
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1659 on: 08 January, 2020, 08:56:37 am »

Turns out the way to consistently win at Joustus is to cheat. The game lets you buy cheat cards from Chester that let you do things like play all the cards in your hand at once or change your opponent's hand to all bad cards. And these are inexpensive enough that I can always have the ability to cheat. I don't know if the game is explicitly balanced around this. On the one hand, I could definitely just be bad at it or have terrible luck of the draw, but on the other hand there are Joustus bosses that also have power moves.

Also engaging with the card game is entirely optional anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1660 on: 09 January, 2020, 08:10:43 am »

I truly believe that Kojima is basically a reverse weeaboo.

pretty much, same with the jojo guy

Turns out the way to consistently win at Joustus is to cheat. The game lets you buy cheat cards from Chester that let you do things like play all the cards in your hand at once or change your opponent's hand to all bad cards. And these are inexpensive enough that I can always have the ability to cheat. I don't know if the game is explicitly balanced around this. On the one hand, I could definitely just be bad at it or have terrible luck of the draw, but on the other hand there are Joustus bosses that also have power moves.

Also engaging with the card game is entirely optional anyway.

if/when i play it the card game is the game for me i love weird dumb video game card game sidequests

release a full triple triad game you cowards square
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1661 on: 09 January, 2020, 08:28:50 am »

yeah they tend to pull me in, too

though Tetra Master was not great

Now Gwent, on the other hand...
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

Space is Deep

« Reply #1662 on: 09 January, 2020, 12:37:51 pm »

yeah tetra master was a bummer, real disappointing after how good triple triad was
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1663 on: 09 January, 2020, 11:36:50 pm »

Ok, I feel like I really leveled up my Joustus game at the end there. Beat the final in-game Joustus boss in a gem sweep without using any cheats. Then also beat three of the challenge matches, which are balanced (same decks) and cheats aren't available.

Also I finished the campaign, which means I've beaten all of the campaigns. These games are all really good. I can't imagine how great it would have been to have been playing them all throughout the years, but devouring them in the span of like three weeks is pretty nice, too. Each character also has a series of challenges, which I might dip into, but I don't know if I'll linger too long. Might be time for something else.

I think if I haaaad to rank them it'd go

1. King of Cards
2. Specter of Torment
3. Plague of Shadows
4. Shovel of Hope

Almost as though they got better as they went along. Plague and Shovel are honestly interchangeable, though. I like the story of Plague better, but if I was better at the gameplay in that one it would be a more solid ranking. Shovel Knight feels great as a baseline, of course. It seemed like their imagination really ran wild once they got away from the Ducktales pogo stuff, though.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1664 on: 10 January, 2020, 10:31:40 pm »

challenge mode Mr. Hat can go to hell
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 ... 121   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: