Ultimate Paradise
28 March, 2024, 07:39:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

random games

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 ... 121   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: random games  (Read 19720 times)
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Melancholy

You're gonna carry that weight.

« Reply #1680 on: 19 January, 2020, 09:03:37 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMB0DgzwRIA&feature=youtu.be

He wiped the floor with me for like twenty minutes, but then I made something happen.
Report Spam   Logged

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously.

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1681 on: 19 January, 2020, 09:17:37 pm »

proud of you
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1682 on: 19 January, 2020, 11:23:04 pm »

now I am the bloody crow
Report Spam   Logged

But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." - Kurt Vonnegut, jr.
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1683 on: 22 January, 2020, 08:32:23 am »

Have decided that if I don't find the last shrine by the end of tomorrow night, I will look it up.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1684 on: 23 January, 2020, 11:50:08 pm »

it was in a cave, behind a bombable wall, halfway up a cliff

brb, mad forever
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1685 on: 25 January, 2020, 01:54:22 pm »

I did the final Trial of the Sword last night. Challenging, but fun to figure out.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1686 on: 27 January, 2020, 10:50:05 am »

I have finished Breath of the Wild.

I returned to my house to sleep and prepare, waking up as night fell. I took each of the champion's weapons from their display spots on my walls, and then left summoning my bicycle. No one was out and about in Hateno Village as I left. I had spoken to Bolson the morning before, him and Karson having just returned from Tarrey Town. Bolson told me he intended to retire and look for a spouse. Good for him. He's earned it, the legend.

I rode through the night, all the way out of Necluda by way of the Dueling Peaks, just as I had come through so long before at the start of my journey. The sun was rising as I pulled into the Riverside stable to refuel and change into my Ancient Armor.

There were stalkers out in Hyrule Field, but with the Master Cycle Zero, I left all of them behind, easily dodging their beams. I had to get off the bike at the ruins of Castle Town to clear away corruption and a couple of stalkers in the main square. Then I brought the bike out again and approached the gates of the castle. The flying guardians have posed a problem in past encounters, but I came prepared this time. Using Revali's Gale, I took air superiority from each of them and put an Ancient Arrow into their weak point. I cut my way up the castle road, through the gatehouses and their lynel gatekeepers, stopping only to top off my bike on the backside of the castle. Two turrets and a flyer blocked the Sanctum, each done in by an arrow and a few shield reflects. Then it was time. I donned the armor of the Wild, equipped the Master Sword, Hylian Shield, and Great Eagle Bow, and entered the throne room.

The battle against the Calamity didn't have many surprises. I buffed myself for defense rather than attack power because I didn't want it to be over too quickly, not after the Divine Beasts sliced the monster's health in half. I made sure to use each of the Champion's weapons at least once (though I'd broken the Scimitar of the Seven on one of the lynels on the ride up). I only missed one shield reflect in the fight.

I wonder if I could have chosen my horse somehow for the final battle? It seemed to me that it pulled the first horse from the five I had registered, which was one I probably haven't ridden since the first week I played the game. Either way, it was over fast. It's a shame that the Bow of Light isn't available sooner. I would have loved a quest to find that, or maybe it could have been hidden in the Castle somewhere as a bonus.

I like the ending a lot, both with the spirits passing on and with Zelda and Link continuing. The work is not yet done, after all.

I have some ideas for what to play next, and I think I want to focus on some shorter games for the time being (My Switch says I put 190 hours into BotW, though I don't know how much of that is just standing around). I've got A Short Hike and Sayonara Wild Hearts ready to go, so those feel like something I could knock out pretty easily. We'll see what else comes up.
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1687 on: 27 January, 2020, 11:04:52 am »

Sayonara Wild Hearts will take you like an hour to beat lol
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1688 on: 27 January, 2020, 01:03:17 pm »

hence shorter games, youef
Report Spam   Logged

Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1689 on: 27 January, 2020, 08:42:02 pm »

I got that.

In any case, it’s a lovely game with a really nice soundtrack. Highly recommended.
Report Spam   Logged
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1690 on: 29 January, 2020, 08:56:39 am »

Started up two games last night.

The first one was Islanders, which is a super chill minimalist city builder. It starts you on a procedurally generated island and gives you a choice of two packs of buildings. Each building is worth a certain amount of points, but you can get more points if you place it in proximity to other buildings or natural features of the island. For example, a lumberjack cabin might be worth 2 points, but it's worth 1 additional point for every tree in its radius, and it's worth another 5 points if you put it near a sawmill.

The game is run based, so you start on a small island, and you place buildings, trying to reach different point thresholds in order to earn more buildings (the game always gives you a choice of two packs and then plops another half dozen buildings in your inventory). But there's also a larger threshold that lets you move on to another island. You don't get to come back to the one you're working on, you're always moving forward, starting from scratch with each one. You keep your score, though, and there's a leaderboard. Eventually, you would come to a point where you can neither meet the threshold for new buildings nor a new island, at which point your run will be over.

I made it to my fourth island, which is probably 5 times the size of the first one I started on and paused there to pick back up later, maybe tonight. The game started giving me more advanced structures on my last island that show I need to be able to predict and plan my cities somewhat. One of the buildings it gave me was a Temple, which starts with a score of -75. It gets major bonuses for being placed next to certain things, but I hadn't left any room around them by the time the temple was unlocked. It makes me wonder if I could make that work on the new island or in another run.

The other game I've started is one that everyone is talking about now that it has finally concluded, and that's Kentucky Route Zero. It's a magical realist adventure game. Point-and-click, heavily text based. I was pretty immediately drawn in by the writing. The game is split into 5 acts, and I don't know if I'll play them straight through. Will depend maybe on how long each one is.

And yeah I tried Byleth out very briefly. Side-B feels really strong, the bow shot will take some getting used to, and man it's just so nice to have that tether recovery for a FE character.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1691 on: 30 January, 2020, 09:18:16 am »

I meant to play more KRZ last night but it wasn't in the cards.

First I ran through Classic mode with Byleth. The Master Hand fight with all the other FE characters is funny. I played through Terry and Banjo's routes, too. Smash is fun.

And then I moved over to Islanders, intending to play for half an hour or so. Wound up playing for three hours.

The fourth island it put me on was the largest I'd yet seen, and it was interesting because it actually started me off by making me place the statues. Every island has one of these, and all buildings benefit from being close to them, and here the game gave me three and a big map to scatter them on. I don't think I had very good placements. I also learned a very valuable lesson about gold veins. Namely, if the game gives you a gold mine, it also gives you a Jeweler, but the Jeweler will only be profitable if it's in close proximity to enough mansions. I'd built all of my residences on the opposite side of the map of the island's gold vein, so there was almost no way for me to gain points off the Jeweler. It almost cost me my run, too, but I was able to eke by and get to the next island.

The fifth island went much better thanks to the knowledge I gained on the previous one. It was a snow-covered island, smaller than the last, again with a single gold vein. Immediately, I started building up the city around that vein, planning for the eventuality of a gold mine. Luxury goods aren't the only incentive the game gives you for building social stratification into the neighborhood. The circus is a potential high-yield  structure when placed in proximity to common houses, but it loses points if it is placed near mansions. It seems like one of the best rules is to put the City Center building in the middle and then build mansions and houses out from it in opposite directions. I got a very good Temple and Market build on that map, too. Eventually I ran out of room where the primary city was and had to expand into the mountains. The game also kept giving me lumberjacks, which I just tossed out into the only section of the island that had trees. The problem being that lumberjacks are penalized for being in close proximity to one another, so I ran out of space for them quickly (I've since learned from a bit of reading that the lumber industry is a trap that doesn't scale at all, so I should avoid choosing that pack at all costs).

I've decided to try and name cities moving forward. The one for this snowy Island is called Grindelville. It's primarily a mining town with fishing and masonry as secondary economic vectors. In the temple, they worship gold and pray for warmth. When the city ran out of space, some people fled to the mountains seeking independence, but they're forced instead to rely on the town below for survival. A grim circus has set up at the base of the cliffs. On the other side of the island, there are the Tree People. The Grindelvilleins mostly avoid the woods, an abandoned plateau the only sign of a failed expansion.

We'll see what's in store on the sixth island.
Report Spam   Logged

ganonfloyd
The Saga Continues
Godly Post Whore

I'm: Floyd
Stand: King Crimson
Mood: Drained

Space is Deep

« Reply #1692 on: 30 January, 2020, 05:09:10 pm »

we should play some smash soon
Report Spam   Logged

Floyd is the devil.
I SERIOUSLY DREAMT OF FLOYD BEING A KILLER CYBORG WHO RAN 10 TIMES FASTER THAN ANY NORMAL HUMAN, AND THEN KILLED MM, TURNED FEMALE, WENT AFTER ME, AND I DROPPED FROM THE SKYSCRAPER! IT HURTED, BUT I AWAKE CALMLY, THINKING I WOULDN'T SEE YOU AGAIN.
*no gold, just us*
Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1693 on: 31 January, 2020, 08:53:41 pm »

we should play some smash soon
It goes without saying.

This is Three Towers-by-the-Sea. Primary exports are ale and seaweed products, but gold deposits were discovered after settlement. A moneyed elite in control of hop production lives in a walled enclave beyond Mount Marte while beer is made readily available to circus-goers and worshipers of the Sun. On the Northwest plains, the isle has established a national park to conserve trees. It's a tourist destination for the natural beauty of the surface as well as a web of caves stretching underground. In the western reaches, an agrarian people answer to the Shaman of the Saw who credits the Monument for their fertile fields and tall forests.
Report Spam   Logged

Random
Your Mileage May Vary
Global Moderator
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #1694 on: 03 February, 2020, 01:17:26 pm »

I finally played through the campaign for Titanfall 2 over the weekend. I've owned that game forever and knew it was only like a 5-hour commitment, but it still has taken me a while.

It's really fun. The game just has such a strong base with its movement systems. Sliding, wall-running, double jumping all feel great to pull off. Add the guns on top of that, and all of those feel snappy and consistent (which I knew from Apex). It's the combination of those things that make the game. Like a CoD campaign will have set pieces and some different things to do over the course of each mission, but the movement in Titanfall clearly lets the devs have so much fun. That's why they put together missions like Into the Abyss, Effect and Cause, and Trial by Fire that work as well as they do.

Oh and then there's very good mech combat in this game, too, that you transition into and out of seamlessly with the push of a button. So you've got the three Ms. Movement. Munitions. Mechs. It's great. This game has boss fights! And neat characters. The writing and plot aren't groundbreaking, but it's a cool universe and it nails the execution.

It's a real shame that EA left this game to die. Makes me want to get back into Apex.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 ... 121   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: