Ultimate Paradise
02 December, 2021, 12:26:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Playthrough Topic (Hades)

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 ... 106   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playthrough Topic (Hades)  (Read 23266 times)
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1485 on: 29 November, 2019, 11:50:53 am »

Yeah, Jesus. Now I know where “this guy are sick” came from. I dunno, I mean they definitely fixed the more egregious errors like that, but there still are bits and pieces that feel so weirdly...inhuman. It messes with the pacing of the story for me a bit. Not enough to ruin the game, but enough for me to sometimes remark, “huh, that was strange.”

There’s definitely some other stupid ass shit in this game too. Controlling Cloud in tight spaces is awful, and the overworld’s camera makes me dizzy. The mini games are also just straight up not fun, and I dread them every time I’m forced to play them. The game shows its age in these aspects more so than its outdated graphics.

I still like the setting and I think the characters are pretty good otherwise. And playing this game makes me think that perhaps I was too harsh on FF10. I didn’t like that one too much, but the gameplay was actually pretty fun aside from a bunch of the bosses, and the Sphere Grid system aged well.

Also, I really wish “Aerith dies” wasn’t such a meme. It would’ve been more interesting to see that firsthand without anticipating the inevitable cutscene. Things like that make me wonder what it was like to find out Darth Vader was Luke’s father in theaters for the first time back when The Empire Strikes Back came out.

Oh and I beat Heavensward and patches 3.1 - 3.56 in FF14. I really enjoyed this expansion, aside from the mess with Ul’dah. A few issues I had with the story:

1. I think Thordan was an incredibly lame villain. Nidhogg wasn’t the most fleshed out character either, but his motivations were certainly much more interesting and actually personal. His fight felt a more appropriate conclusion to the Heavensward arc.

2. I don’t really like the way Ysayle sacrificed herself. She did it to protect them from the Empire, who as far as I am concerned is a non-entity in this expansion. Her sacrifice should’ve been utilized in the fight with Thordan, Nidhogg, or literally anyone else more thematically appropriate.

3. The Ul’dah plotline was mishandled in the worst way possible, but I already expressed my thoughts on that.

Overall though, I really dug it. The pacing was solid, and the cast of characters was fun to work with. I felt that Alphinaud had some solid character development. He seemed so cocky and arrogant in ARR and 2.1 - 2.55, so it was refreshing to see him humbled after his failure with the Crystal Braves. Ysayle and Estinien were fun to travel with as well.

It was a huge step up from ARR despite its flaws, and I’m willing to forgive such imperfections anyways. I’m not expecting Stormblood to have the best story based on what I’ve heard, but I’m sure it’ll be fine.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 ... 106   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: