Ultimate Paradise
27 November, 2021, 10:35:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Playthrough Topic (Hades)

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playthrough Topic (Hades)  (Read 23211 times)
Youef
Local Mod
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1515 on: 02 May, 2020, 11:01:42 pm »

Ok, so I finished the first Shadow Hearts.

Overall, I had fun with it. The gameplay is actually pretty solid, if unrefined. Some of the puzzles were kind of banal and felt like padding, and the game didnít really encourage me to use all of my party members towards the end of the game, but it worked pretty well otherwise. The encounter rate was also surprisingly low, which is a major win in my book. Also I never had to grind in this game. The gameplayís pacing actually worked out quite well if you know what items and equipment you need to use.

The story on the other hand is, well, not so great. The dialogue is just flat out bad half the time, and the plotís pacing is awkward. The music is also mediocre. I like the first battle theme, but that London theme makes me want to die. Characters are one dimensional, but theyíre also paradoxically interesting. It has a somewhat unique cast all things considered, even if most of them are brain-dead. I also think itís pretty ballsy to go ahead and establish the bad ending as canon.

That being said, I am somehow totally fine with the story being so campy. Thereís something endearing about the way the game tries to carve out its own identity. Despite its flaws, it certainly stands out among the JRPGs I have played. The enemy and boss designs, for example, are extremely well done. Some of those optional and end-game bosses actually looked disturbing, like what you might see in a Silent Hill game. My understanding is that the second game is a bit more comedic, but I hope it doesnít forget to embrace the horror undertones.

The game has some charm to it. I think Iím willing to overlook its flaws because I dig the gameís aesthetic. Though truth be told, I only played it as set up for Covenant. Iím starting to think I didnít need to do that.

And I will get back into Nocturne sometime during this quarantine. I must do it.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: