Ultimate Paradise
25 October, 2021, 06:04:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

This topic is now going to be a rip-off of Bizzle's.

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 [132]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This topic is now going to be a rip-off of Bizzle's.  (Read 25193 times)
Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #1965 on: 21 July, 2020, 10:33:31 pm »

Kind of random but I watched an episode of Goblin Slayer last night just out of sheer curiosity of its reputation and jesus christ fuck that shit

I can't make an argument for post-Golden Age Berserk, but at least the sexual violence in Berserk has plot relevance and serves character development. The first episode of Goblin Slayer just obscene. People argue that it serves the purpose of vilifying the goblins, but...I'm pretty sure there are other ways of achieving the same effect without resorting to literal gangrape 15 minutes into episode 1? This honestly has been my main critique of Berserk, where I feel the sexual violence does become gratuitous. I mean, contrast Wyald, the horse, and the trolls with Casca, Griffith, and Guts' sexual trauma in the Golden Age. The latter actually drives the plot forth in some meaningful way while depicting the world the world of Berserk as especially brutal. I think the context is kind of just absent in the former, and I can't imagine Goblin Slayer will ever move beyond the former group in its depiction of sexual violence.

I don't know, maybe I'm also just more sensitive to that sort of thing now. Definitely will not continue with this show, especially since it apparently devolves into some generic fantasy D&D adventure with the occasional rape scene sprinkled in here and there. It just sounds like a ridiculous contrast without any meaning.

However, I also watched Vinland Saga which ruled and now I am dedicated to reading the manga. Also started Planetes.
« Last Edit: 21 July, 2020, 10:36:42 pm by Youef » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 [132]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: