Ultimate Paradise
28 October, 2021, 03:00:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Maniac's QUALITY anime log

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maniac's QUALITY anime log  (Read 11659 times)
Ahriman
« Reply #1290 on: 04 June, 2011, 02:22:33 pm »

If you want something okay-ish Dangaioh is alright, and some people even like it apparently. I'm told Megazone 23 is pretty good but I haven't seen it so I don't really know.

The best OVA is Giant Robo but it's an hour per episode at 7 episodes so it isn't really short.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1291 on: 04 June, 2011, 02:24:49 pm »

ooooh oooh

watch baoh first
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #1292 on: 04 June, 2011, 02:28:18 pm »

Eh, I kinda like being entrenched in shit like Baoh and Cybernetics Guardian. Both of which are absolutely destined to be so completely terrible that I'll be laughing all the way. Helps that Cybernetics Guardian is an Ohata production, so it'll probably turn out like MD Geist.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1293 on: 04 June, 2011, 02:30:09 pm »

So the only way to make Maniac laugh is to show him stuff so bad it's good...

Ever seen Hudson Hawk?
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #1294 on: 04 June, 2011, 04:47:26 pm »

...and so, the first arc of VOTOMS has ended, and Chirico failed to complete his objective. Oh, and the villain of the arc died in a completely undignified way. Doesn't mean much, though, since this show is still pretty damn good. I'm up to episode 14 right now, and I'll stop for today.

The OVA of the day is Baoh. I'll watch it in an hour or so.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1295 on: 05 June, 2011, 05:37:45 am »

Watched Baoh. It's actually not as bad as I expected, but that's pretty damn disappointing. It's serviceable, actually; were it any longer, it would be a total piece of shit, but for what it is and for its length, it's not horrible. It looks pretty decent and it doesn't really drag on or become difficult to watch. The characters, plot and everything were fucking terrible, but the rest was so inoffensive that it actually approaches mediocrity. I gave it a 5, but I rounded up for that score; it's slightly below par, but by such a negligible amount that it doesn't matter. Thing is, that's a problem. I snarked throughout the entire thing, but it wasn't nearly as fun as MD Geist, even if it was better. It's still dumb as all hell and basically something that isn't worth watching at all in the end. As a whole, it's not hilariously bad, and it's not good; it's just... there.

That said, I will mention the best aspect of this OVA while I'm at it. The final boss is a psychic Native American who looks like came out of Fist of the North Star and is so powerful that he needs to be restrained by a headband. His concept is definitely hilariously stupid, and well, if that sounds funny, go watch or read this crap, I dunno. Still doesn't make up for the rest of the OVA, but it's still a stupidly fun detail for what it was.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1296 on: 05 June, 2011, 05:48:12 am »

I particularly like the part where he wounds himself in a hilariously Japanese misunderstanding of Native Americans.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #1297 on: 05 June, 2011, 04:44:25 pm »

IT'S A MARK THAT SHOWS THAT HE EARNED RESPECT AND HONOR AMONG HIS TRIBE

Well, at least one of the guys who made the Baoh manga improved drastically when he made JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1298 on: 05 June, 2011, 05:11:51 pm »

Although it took him until about the third series to get there.
Report Spam   Logged

Ahriman
« Reply #1299 on: 05 June, 2011, 05:18:34 pm »

Although it took him until about the third series to get there.

Almost everyone I've seen says the second part is the best.

Speaking of JJBA the OVA's are badass.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1300 on: 06 June, 2011, 03:36:39 am »

Purging my To Watch list. I really don't care about half the **** on it anymore, so I'll get rid of it. The list of things removed is Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, Comic Party, Hare and Guu, Pani Poni Dash, Saki and School Rumble. Oddly enough, I still want to watch Magical Pokaan even though it's absolutely guaranteed to be horrible at this point. To be honest, I only plan on watching one or two things on the list, but I'll pretend to care about the rest.

No VOTOMS today, but I did watch an OVA: Special Duty Combat Unit Shinesman. It's a sentai parody where all of the main characters are salarymen. It's better than it sounds. It has a plot that was never completed (but since it's an adaptation, perhaps the manga completed it), but it's still a good enough parody that it doesn't matter. I'd give a 7/10. On an odd note, this dub shares the same director as Baoh, in spite of the fact that the quality of the dub is drastically superior to Baoh's shoddy performance. I think that the same director worked on Blue Submarine No. 6, so if that's the case, I suppose that the reason would be chalked up to him improving over time.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1301 on: 06 June, 2011, 11:52:03 am »

I'd actually suggest watching Hare and Guu.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #1302 on: 06 June, 2011, 05:09:35 pm »

A lot of people would, but I have no interest in it whatsoever. It's not as much of a "why the fuck is this shit here?" thing like Comic Party, but I really don't care about it.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1303 on: 06 June, 2011, 05:10:32 pm »

Fair enough.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #1304 on: 07 June, 2011, 03:43:54 am »

Alright, so I watched a few episodes of VOTOMs today. This new arc has a theme that bears more than a passing resemblance to Vietnam, with Chirico working under a douchebag of captain and working alongside some new faces. His previous friends from Udo are present, but they're mostly in background for now while this arc resolves itself. The plot still seems kind of aimless, but it's more interesting than Udo and still quite a bit of fun to watch.

But that's not the highlight of the day. Well, it actually is, but it's not the most notable aspect. Today is... special; I watched two OVAs instead of one. These two OVAs, Skelter Heaven and Psychic Wars, respectively make up the second and third lowest-rated anime on MAL, right above the legendary Mars of Destruction. Skelter Heaven is from the team behind that Mars of Destruction OVA; as horrible as a thought it is, this team actually improved when they created Mars of Destruction, as this previous effort has managed to be even worse than that piece of crap. However, as terrible as Skelter Heaven was, Psychic Wars managed to be even worse. I honestly don't know where to begin describing how terrible it is, but I'll summarize what it's like. Imagine creating an anime with 12 full-length episodes and then being told to arrange those episodes so that they only take up slightly less than an hour's worth of time. Now, assign this job to a bunch of retards and what you get is a patchwork creature that makes no sense from beginning to end and is missing entire chunks of its body along with a few internal organs, causing the beast to instantly die due to its natural incapability of sustaining itself. Psychic Wars is so terrible that I spent the entire time counting the minutes that it took for it to end. Both of these deserve nothing higher than a 1/10, and after today, I now have more 1-rated anime on MAL than 9's.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89 90 91 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: