Ultimate Paradise
18 September, 2021, 10:53:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Maniac's QUALITY anime log

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maniac's QUALITY anime log  (Read 11639 times)
Maniac234678
« Reply #1335 on: 17 June, 2011, 06:25:15 pm »

Read more One Piece. I'm almost up the furthest point I've ever reached with the anime, which would have been the beginning of the Arlong arc. I am soooo current. Also, this site I'm getting this **** from keeps vacillating between a decent scanlation and a terrible one; it's not consistently as horrible as the example I'm about to use, but seriously, just read this chapter:

http://www.mangareader.net/103-2085-4/one-piece/chapter-36.html
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: Salty
Username: Ƨɒlƚy
Mood: Amazing

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1336 on: 17 June, 2011, 06:33:22 pm »

You have to remember that this is scanlations from like 10 years ago or something.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #1337 on: 18 June, 2011, 05:26:35 am »

The Band of the Hawk scanlations for Berserk were older and less terrible than that, which says a lot when you consider that their earliest scans were fucking awful. Besides, it's not so much the quality of the scans that pisses me off as the quality of the translation and editing. There is no justification for substituting "u" in for "you" in your scanlation, and this is amidst dialogue that doesn't make any sense in context and contains numerous typos, gratuitous vulgarity and grammatical errors. Older scanlations are going to rough in quality and I don't reserve a lot of blame for that, but there's no reason for the scanlator's work to be this terrible.

EDIT: Luffy's fight with Don Krieg is pretty minor as far as One Piece goes, and it is still made of badass.
« Last Edit: 18 June, 2011, 08:38:25 am by The Reaper » Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1338 on: 18 June, 2011, 12:58:08 pm »

Most people starting the series wouldn't even bother with scanlations until they get to a point that they don't cover, but I understand and agree with your point.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #1339 on: 19 June, 2011, 12:34:59 pm »

Finished Arlong Park and Loguetown. This is just as awesome as I expected it to be. This is not up to Berserk's level of quality just yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it reaches it in due time.
Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #1340 on: 19 June, 2011, 01:03:46 pm »

Loguetown

I don't know anything about One Piece but I feel like this is probably supposed to be Roguetown.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1341 on: 19 June, 2011, 02:30:19 pm »

It's usually spelled with the L, though. It would make more sense if it was Roguetown, but the frequency of "Loguetown" makes me wonder if that's actually the official name. Given some of the stranger arrangements of attacks, titles and the like (such as Gears Second), it wouldn't be the biggest surprise.
Report Spam   Logged
Ƨɒlƚy
The Enlightened Spider
Semi-epic Post Whore

Yare yare daze

« Reply #1342 on: 19 June, 2011, 05:32:06 pm »

It's totally Roguetown, and Gear Second/Second Gear, whatever.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #1343 on: 19 June, 2011, 06:21:51 pm »

I've read that, according to Oda, the "logue" part refers to pro"logue" and epi"logue," in reference to the place where Gol D. Roger was born and where he died.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1344 on: 22 June, 2011, 09:38:48 pm »

chapter 7 of banquet has been scanlated yeeessssss

Fucking hell, EP8 will be fully scanlated before this.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1345 on: 24 June, 2011, 02:39:16 pm »

Scratch all of that OVA shit, I just decided to finish VOTOMs. I was... incredibly disappointed by the ending. Be aware that everything ahead spoils the ending.

In the end of the series, Chirico is revealed to be a superhuman entity known as an Overman, ending a series' worth of foreshadowing over his superhuman capacities. He ends up on a path that takes him straight to Wiseman, a mechanical deity that has controlled the galaxy for 3000 years and has guided the destinies of every country and person. Wiseman was once the very same kind of being as Chirico before his body succumbed to time, and has groomed him to become his successor and control the galaxy in his place. When Chirico becomes able to finally contact Wiseman, he is told of his place in the cosmic order, and accepts his position. In effect, Chirico becomes a villain protagonist, takes over the society that has been pursuing him for the entirety of the anime and prepares for a journey to Wiseman so he can succeed him. Swerve?

So, Chirico ends up abandoning everyone to die. At this point, he is pursued by an armada comprised of the two major powers in the galaxy, who want him dead for... no elaborated reason. Their goal is to destroy Wiseman due to its incredible technological might (and the fact that it has already destroyed several fleets that engaged each other above Quent), but they tack "kill Chirico" to the top of their list almost at random. Thing about this is that when you read the above, it sounds vaguely sensible, but they have no way of knowing any of that. Furthermore, they have no way to know that Chirico has any association with Wiseman; as far as they are concerned, he's just a wild card that poses an a threat whenever someone tries to engage him. Hell, they really don't display a solid train of thought that leads them to know that Wiseman even exists. They have all of the resources and information to come up with conjecture on that subject, but not enough to get an entire galactic fleet in action. With this randomly-generated information, they manage to pursue him to a remote space facility in spite of the fact that they have absolutely no evidence that it even exists, let alone where it could be. Anyway, with those plotholes aside, Chirico starts sacrificing people left and right in order to escape, culminating in him detaching a portion of his battleship, completely filled with people and his own fucking friends and love interest in order to achieve this.

Fortunately, they manage to escape just in time. They follow him to Quent, the planet in which whose depths are where Wiseman resides. As Chirico goes out to meet Wiseman, he journeys with an ally with whom he has teamed up on many occasions, including his previous arrival at Quent. This ally eventually eventually calls him on his bullshit (being informed by Chirico's friend whom he left to die) and confronts him with feelings of both rage and utter denial. Chirico proceeds to injure him horribly and, after escaping his friends, continues on to his destination. Oddly enough, his journey ends up being padded for no reason; he is transported far away from his destination, forcing him to travel on land, even though he could have been dropped closer. Now, while this happens, the aforementioned armada manages to catch up with him and unleashes hell on the planet, eventually culminating in its destruction. Chirico succeeds at meeting Wiseman, and... DOUBLE SWERVE, it turns out that he did everything in order to fool Wiseman and destroy it, thereby asserting his capacity to take his destiny into his own hands. WHAT A TWEEST! So, the show treats him like he wasn't ever a villain when, uh, look at everything above.

He goes above and beyond to fool Wiseman; he would need to do so, because as a being on the level of a deity like Wiseman would be able to call him on any trickery. Thing is, that doesn't justify anything he does; he kills plenty of soldiers on a whim, kills an attendant who planned to revolt just because he knew that Chirico was going to stab everyone in back eventually, forces said conspirator's brother to submit to him (I thought these brothers were slimy folks up until this point, but even this was a dick move), he left his friends (including the love interest who he had tried to meet and rescue for the entire show) to die with, at best, an unspoken guarantee that they would be able to escape. An entire planet ends up being destroyed as an indirect result of his presence. All of this occurs in order to culminate in "hahaha, I was just joking!" I can't get behind any of that. It's a pointless twist that exists only for its own sake; it's the kind of twist that occurs in order to draw attention and suspense instead of spice up the plot. It fails on all levels. In fact, if it turned out that he betrayed everyone for real, that would have failed as well because it would have negated everything that brought the plot to this point.

To be honest, The Quent arc in general was pretty awful. In the end, everything just falls into place like a stack of dominoes without any real reason for everything to have been set up as it was. My favorite example is that General Killy spontaneously reveals that he has an intimate association with Wiseman without any foreshadowing and that begins to define him, even though all he cared about was obtaining and perfecting super soldiers up to that point. A whole bunch of people just start getting involved in the situation, and while some transitions are reasonable, some don't make any sense at all as I had previously explained. It feels sort of like a rush job with a virulent twist stacked up with it, but it's significantly more indefensible solely because, as I've stated before, this show had already wasted 40 episodes on very little content. There's no reason for the plot to crap up at this point after massive portions of the show were used on secondary plots with no relevance to the big picture.

*END SPOILERS*

I don't know if this is a bigger disappointment than Mai-HiME, but it's up there. The thing is, up until this point, I really liked this anime even despite all of the problems it had. VOTOMs was interesting in a straightforward way, and it didn't need some shitty plot twist in order to make it better because I was never made to care about the big picture. It's so sad that it just culminated in an ending as terrible as this one. If I had known that I would end this anime feeling like I am now, I don't think I would have watched this. If this had continued as it was, I would have come out saying that it was pretty cool, and maybe I would have had fond memories of watching it down the line. But since it ended this way, I'm coming out of this 20-day journey feeling like I completely wasted my time.

I don't feel like watching anything else right now, so those OVAs will have to wait.
« Last Edit: 26 June, 2011, 09:38:48 am by Harry Tipper » Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #1346 on: 24 June, 2011, 02:42:14 pm »

In the end of the series, Chirico is revealed to be a superhuman entity known as an Overman

?

Actually I already knew that. Wont read the rest though.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1347 on: 24 June, 2011, 02:43:56 pm »

Might as well. I wouldn't recommend this anime, and if you needed to watch it, getting the disappointing aspect squared away ahead of time would help.
Report Spam   Logged
Ahriman
« Reply #1348 on: 24 June, 2011, 02:46:41 pm »

I'm told the OVAs are better than the series.
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #1349 on: 24 June, 2011, 02:49:03 pm »

I'm told nothing of the sort. I'm told that the OVAs are lacking.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: