Ultimate Paradise
03 August, 2021, 11:49:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Maniac's QUALITY anime log

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maniac's QUALITY anime log  (Read 11610 times)
Maniac234678
« Reply #375 on: 01 September, 2009, 09:34:20 pm »

Claude was a monster. Awesome death, though.
Report Spam   Logged
Spring-Loaded
Spring; the season your dreams take place in
Epic Post Whore

Mood: Practical

« Reply #376 on: 01 September, 2009, 09:41:13 pm »

So...Eda is CIA.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #377 on: 01 September, 2009, 09:45:21 pm »

Eda is awesome. I was going to use her as my profile, yet I couldn't find many good pictures of her, so I went with Sawyer.

Also, whenever I read discussions of this season, I inevitably run into people who complain about the lack of realism. Hey, idiots: do you remember episode 2 of the first season? Episode 3? How about Roberta in her entirety? Jesus...
Report Spam   Logged
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #378 on: 01 September, 2009, 10:40:24 pm »

There hasn't been anything that has happened that has gone too far beyond the rule of cool, except for one Roberta moment in the manga.

Anything ridiculous is handled in such a way that it doesn't take one out of the action. The story in between ranges from deep to emotional
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #379 on: 01 September, 2009, 11:37:08 pm »

Some people have been convinced by the out of battle plot and the magnification of frequently ignored, yet very much existent social ills that it entirely mitigated any superhuman acts perpetrated by the cast up until they ran into a 5' nothing little girl firing a magazine connected to hammerspace out of a weapon that is little more than a fourth of her weight. Or some of the superhuman acts that Ginji perpetrates. Examples that are equally as egregious as many that had already occurred by that point. Really, after seeing many potential examples of going beyond realism displayed as early as episode 2, complaining exclusively about the lack of realism in season 2, and yet indirectly laud the first season for possessing this missing quality, is pretty much declaring in great detail that the viewer was not paying attention by any stretch of the imagination.
Report Spam   Logged
HyperOmar
« Reply #380 on: 01 September, 2009, 11:39:43 pm »

This sounds epic.
Report Spam   Logged
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #381 on: 02 September, 2009, 09:45:37 pm »

It was probably a long time ago that they saw season 1. I remember looking back at it in my mind's eye that it was considerably more tame than season 2, yet when I actually went back and re-watched it, I remembered how over the top it was. The philosophic/existentialist overtones were more prevalent and wordy (for this series) in the first season.

SPOILERS

And every fan of the show should know that it gives you what you want; you wanted to see Revy fight Ginji ever since they met at the traditional Japanese fair. After he cuts a bullet in half, you knew he would match up against Revy well in a one-on-one fight because it would be incredibly badass. You wanted Roberta to have a weapon in her umbrella and for the umbrella to be made of Kevlar because that would ridiculously awesome. You wanted to see Balalaika have a kid killed and for her to just let him bleed to death on the ground because it broke the rules.

END SPOILERS

But yeah, the ridiculousness is always warranted and is far more awe-inspiringly off the chain because of the real-world setting. If they only did what was entirely believably possible, the action would merely be somewhat cool. It pushes limits and doesn't have to create incomprehensible/new fight scenes/abilities because the setting is already fantastical (One Piece fights, ...Air Gear, etc.). They can just have a gunfight, but make it kind of over-the-top, achieving the same, if not a greater, sense of cool that a fight scene involving super-powers.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #382 on: 02 September, 2009, 10:15:41 pm »

I find them to be equal in level when it comes to going outside the realm of reality in order to adhere to the rule of cool. The main thing that will instantly come to mind is Rock's insane gambit of using a pre-placed makeshift ramp to launch a torpedo at a gunship. This is obviously not the end of it between Revy jumping from boat to boat, annihilating everything in her path in episode 3 or Shenhua butchering enemies in vehicles 30 meters away each with what is basically a melee weapon on a rope all the way to 12. But this topic has already been milked for what it's worth at this point, and can safely be dropped.

In the end, even if the second season is more egregious, one could consider sticking to whatever is closest reality as a weighted jacket which came off. The action is ultimately more reliant on what would be cool, but then again, that could equally be as much of a turnoff as it could be the opposite. Pretty much the largest angle you could criticize the second season for on a "neutral level" is if the mood or the atmosphere, basically everything around the plot supported it. Do the scenes seem like mindless fanservice, is the writer trying too hard to manually manipulate the watcher and in the end expect a certain reaction, etc.

By the way, this is not to imply that I thought any of these are valid on a personal level, I vastly preferred the second season over the first. However, if one was to criticize it from that angle, I could certainly understand that perspective. I simply merely cannot stand "it's not realistic" that far in.
Report Spam   Logged
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #383 on: 02 September, 2009, 10:32:28 pm »

Read the manga. NAWO
Report Spam   Logged

HyperOmar
« Reply #384 on: 03 September, 2009, 01:57:01 pm »

NAWO
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #385 on: 03 September, 2009, 10:53:05 pm »

More Roberta, Sawyer and Rotton? I certainly shall, but on another day.
Report Spam   Logged
Youef
Semi-epic Post Whore

I'm: UF
Mood: Relaxed

Upgraded-Form

« Reply #386 on: 03 September, 2009, 11:35:48 pm »

More Roberta, Sawyer and Rotton? I certainly shall, but on another day.
...AH!
Report Spam   Logged
Maniac234678
« Reply #387 on: 04 September, 2009, 03:41:03 pm »

huh
Report Spam   Logged
Spring-Loaded
Epic Post Whore

« Reply #388 on: 05 September, 2009, 01:06:20 am »

huh

Japanese dub

And Fabiola too.
Report Spam   Logged

Maniac234678
« Reply #389 on: 05 September, 2009, 04:31:34 pm »

I always watch anime subbed, much like good old Bizzle.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: