Ultimate Paradise
02 December, 2021, 04:23:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Maniac's QUALITY anime log

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 ... 143   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maniac's QUALITY anime log  (Read 11690 times)
Maniac234678
« Reply #1275 on: 04 June, 2011, 05:27:47 am »

So, I have decided that I want to watch short OVAs in conjunction with Votoms. I plan on having all of them be from the 80's and 90's, just because that period of time adds a certain kind of charm.

First up is probably the best of what I plan on watching: Cyber City Oedo 808. It's a short, 2 hour cyber punk series that's pretty generic and lacks depth, but that doesn't matter because it's still damn good in execution. Oedo's recipe sounds like it could only culminate in a "so bad, it's good" variety of show, and it doesn't help that the dub (Done by Manga UK, and we all know what that means) serves to reinforce that point and is more readily available. Thing is, even with a million utterances of vulgar language, cornball snarking and silly one-liners, all of it works. It's brainless and simple, but this OVA plays its cards so straight for the most part that it ceases to matter. Hell, even when it tries to not be straightforward, it still works well enough.

I'm on the fence for whether or not this should get a 7 or an 8 (I'll give it a 7 for now), but I can definitely say that this is the first thing I've watched in a long time that falls squarely into "good" territory and something that I would watch again for genuine entertainment.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention something:

The English version of this has a soundtrack is significantly better than the Japanese version. Unfortunately, it's also exclusive to the VHS releases.
« Last Edit: 04 June, 2011, 05:37:30 am by Nyan Cat » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 [86] 87 88 89 90 ... 143   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: